INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com

embum

Reaction score
Wish i new code :(

Anyone notice how many threads the mods have closed with the source.. they earning there keep now dancedroid you mods do an awesome job!!

Haha yeah cuz they closed my thread :icon_eek:

Woops!:)
1st I didn't look in general discussion
2nd "Go Froyo" is an ambiguous title that I would not have assumed to be about the new source

My bad, nice job mods

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No hard feelings toward any member who opened a Froyo source thread. It's typical to see numerous threads pop up when something exciting breaks.

All we ask..... give the search function a shot first. And if it's big news, like a source release.... chances are there's already a thread. We've got some great members and staff here that are right on things as news comes in. :)

Enjoy folks!

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
The early 2.2 roms leaked are awesome, us mindless flock are excited!

embum

Reaction score
Where did the first two early leaks of 2.2 come from??

brando56894

Reaction score
me = so happy dancedroid

I cant wait to see what the devs are going to come up with now, especially cyanogen/koush! ::waits patiently::

Se7enLC

Reaction score
That is a lie.

Unless you mean that non-rooted droids can get root and then install 2.2 :p
Read the link in my signature if you think it's a lie.

its the same process you still have to flash the SBF, so no un rooted droids cant get froyo unless they root.

THIS.

"root" doesn't JUST mean typing "su". It means having access to change things that a non-root user cannot. That DOES include the recovery console. So, in summary - if you have to install SPRecovery or Clockwork, that means that you had to use superuser access to do it (via RSDLite), and you have effectively "rooted" your phone. Just because you didn't install the su binary to allow continued access to su doesn't mean that you didn't already install unapproved software and modify system files that a normal non-root user cannot.

When a Froyo Release Candidate gets released that is signed to be installable on the Droid WITHOUT SPRECOVERY - that is when we can say that rooting is not required.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
No hard feelings toward any member who opened a Froyo source thread. It's typical to see numerous threads pop up when something exciting breaks.

All we ask..... give the search function a shot first. And if it's big news, like a source release.... chances are there's already a thread. We've got some great members and staff here that are right on things as news comes in. :)

Enjoy folks!

Thanks!

Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Froyo Source Code Released" or something informative? "GO FROYO" is pretty much useless :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
how can you install SPRecovery without root access.?

EDIT: Nevermind, he deleted it :icon_ banana:

dmartins

Reaction score
Read the link in my signature if you think it's a lie.

its the same process you still have to flash the SBF, so no un rooted droids cant get froyo unless they root.

THIS.

"root" doesn't JUST mean typing "su". It means having access to change things that a non-root user cannot. That DOES include the recovery console. So, in summary - if you have to install SPRecovery or Clockwork, that means that you had to use superuser access to do it (via RSDLite), and you have effectively "rooted" your phone. Just because you didn't install the su binary to allow continued access to su doesn't mean that you didn't already install unapproved software and modify system files that a normal non-root user cannot.

When a Froyo Release Candidate gets released that is signed to be installable on the Droid WITHOUT SPRECOVERY - that is when we can say that rooting is not required.
SPRecovery is not root.
You aren't even in the OS so how is it root?
It just mounts your system as read/write.

etx_droid

Reaction score

THIS.

SPRecovery is not root.
You aren't even in the OS so how is it root?
It just mounts your system as read/write.

That's what I was thinking, SPrecovery installs before the OS even boots. I thought SPrecovery was how I rooted my phone...

subsynth

Reaction score

Enjoy folks!

And yet no one seemed to notice my thread posted ten minutes before this one.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
You don't need root access to install SPrecovery, you install it before the OS even boots. SPrecovery is how I rooted my phone...

WHY do people insist upon continuing to propagate this??
Installing SPRecovery *IS* rooting.

SPRecovery gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot change. It does so by allowing you to install any unsigned update.zip files that you want to. su gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot. It does so by allowing you to type a command to modify any files that you want to. Notice a similarity? I'll give you a hint - it's in italics.

Just because you don't have su installed, does NOT mean that you didn't do the equivalent of rooting to get something else installed.

The Bottom Line here - people who don't want to root their phones should understand that running RSDLite and flashing SPRecovery gives the same result as conventional rooting - you end up with a phone that is modified from the stock form in a manner that is not approved by Verizon/Motorola, and is running software that is not approved by either of them. If somebody doesn't want to root, chances are, they ALSO don't want to be flashing alternate recovery consoles. And if they don't see the similarities between those two, they shouldn't be doing either. I don't want to deal with the mass of people saying "I don't understand how my phone got screwed up, I didn't even root!" but then proceed to explain how they used SPRecovery to install some random broken update.zip they found on megaupload.