Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

Lithoss

Reaction score
I hate to say it but it looks like motorola has won. I don't see this phone ever being fully unlocked. Not too big of a deal now but I can see other manufacturers following suit, which is bad news for android.

Maybe the gingerbread update will provide a loophole.

kennydied23

Reaction score
hey alias, if you're still here, would you be so kind as to answer this question: is it possible for Data2EXT be implemented somehow into the droid x kernel or would that require a custom kernel?

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Someone could probably implement a kernel extension that you load into the kernel. That stuff really isn't too hard. If it's running on any ARM linux distro you could totally port it over.

kennydied23

Reaction score
Someone could probably implement a kernel extension that you load into the kernel. That stuff really isn't too hard. If it's running on any ARM linux distro you could totally port it over.

Huh, that's good to know. Maybe one of the X/2 devs would do it (I'd definitely do it myself but I don't start software engineering until next year, no coding experience whatsoever right now...). I'm sure we'd all love to see better i/o efficiency and a possible speedup for the X dancedroid

chazall1

Reaction score
All problems get solved in time. Keep up all the effort!!! This is over my head.

Thanks

kennydied23

Reaction score
It looks like alias hasn't given up, looking at his twitter, and he may also be releasing his code too. That's what's up!

Last edited:

kicker22004

Reaction score
Still hoping this happens,bought the fascinate but want my X cracked.....does anyone remember the post way back about the update unlocking the bootloader? Did anyone ever find out how.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Not too much. I'm pushing back the release date because I'm having issues with starting processes. The first release wont have the kexec parts in it yet as I'm still debugging it, but I'm hoping some custom firmwares will pick this up and use it once its stabilized as that will help with migrating to kexec when I get that working. I'm thinking now with the current problems I'm having the source will hit anywhere from the end of January to the middle of February.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Thanks... I'm glad to hear things are progressing!

sephtin

Reaction score
Not too much. I'm pushing back the release date because I'm having issues with starting processes. The first release wont have the kexec parts in it yet as I'm still debugging it, but I'm hoping some custom firmwares will pick this up and use it once its stabilized as that will help with migrating to kexec when I get that working. I'm thinking now with the current problems I'm having the source will hit anywhere from the end of January to the middle of February.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

To confirm:
What you're releasing is the code to get custom kernels running... but just to verify, limitations still exist such as.. no radio functionality, etc. correct?

MrKleen

Reaction score
I am just excited that someone is trying something.

Now that the Droid X is getting older it would be nice if Motorola would at some point give us the keys.

sephtin

Reaction score
I am just excited that someone is trying something.

Now that the Droid X is getting older it would be nice if Motorola would at some point give us the keys.

Completely agree. I just want clarification. The other night someone sent me a chat that said that the X would be running custom kernels very soon. Just trying to avoid the misconception that we'll be loading full ROMs with custom kernels while still getting full functionality of the phone (unless of course that is the case.. but I'm pretty sure that's not the case at this point in time)...