Get your Chromebook early via Google and GILT

J

JohnDroid

We just received two separate invites (in two gmail accounts) from Google letting us know that they've cut a deal with the Gilt Group to sell some Samsung Chromebooks a little early. The cost is $499 and shipping is a flat $5.95. The sale is good for a limited time (ends 06/03 at 8am CT) and is invite only.

It's a strange promotion from Google, I've never seen them work with a partner similar to the Gilt group before and had to verify the headers to make sure of it's legitimacy, but it is in fact the real deal. In addition to being able to purchase the Chromebook, the offer includes a limited edition, custom-fit Chrome sleeve designed by Rickshaw. They also have many other carrying cases and Chromebook totes available in the shopping cart.

Please see attached screenshots, click for larger version.

You can discuss the Chromebook and more at The Chromebook Forum: Chromebook Forum

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I got the invite, checked it out, and was not impressed. Sure, $500 is an early-adopter price, which, under ideal circumstances, might sense. But this is a relatively unknown product, with poorly-described specs, and maybe most importantly, a reputation during "beta-testing" for being slow, unreliable, and fairly unimpressive (I'm assuming this is the same hardware as the test units, right?). I liked it much better when they were giving out the test Chrome units for free.

-Matt

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree.

I've had a CR-48 since January, but I would not pay more than a "nice" netbook price for something from Samsung.

I like their TV's but that's where it ends. Their support leaves a bit to be desired.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ntrddragn

Reaction score
got the invite too. 500 meh, im going to go get me a win7 laptop and a free xbox 360.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've had a CR-48 since January, but I would not pay more than a "nice" netbook price for something from Samsung.
I was really irked when I saw the boutique website, and thought "Whoa, I guess it ain't gonna happen for $300." Yeah, I was anticipating the "netbook" price-point too. I don't know what genius marketing group thought this angle up, but someone should have done their math: the community most interested in this device probably won't drop $500 on it.

This is like Google TV. But worse.

-Matt

porkbrains

Reaction score
$500 is great when you factor in that it comes with 100mb 3g per month for 2 years! :icon_rolleyes:

BlacknTan

Reaction score
Wow, you mean for the same price as my core i3 thinkpad edge, I can get a nerfed netbook, with a limited OS and an atom processor? Sign me up!

socav

Reaction score
$500 is great when you factor in that it comes with 100mb 3g per month for 2 years! :icon_rolleyes:

lol.

I got the invite as well. I might consider it if I hadn't just picked up a Transformer..... nah.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the invite. I think this is a Google lap top. I don't need one, thanks. Deleted.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
$500 Chrome Book or $500 Android Tablet... now that's the question :)

patfactorx

Reaction score
I thought about getting 1 so I could ebay it =op but I feel like this is going to have the same demand as the Xoom.

xan

Reaction score
$500 just to be a beta tester?

I would MUCH rather have an ASUS transformer.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
sounds good.

i used the verizon 3g on the prototype we got and the way that verizon counts the data it was gone in a lesss than 3 hours of just webpage surfing. not sure if the system was updating in the back ground or what but for 2 months the 100mb was gone i could actaully watch it count down even though i wasnt even doing anything.
that 100mb is pretty useless. unless the system was updating without telling me i thought that could bve the case so i checked that first and it said up to date and still the data was ticking off a meg like it was seconds on a clock.
so this cloud system must be continually exchanging data and verizon is counting it very strangley causing it to eat that 100megs ridiculously. (for me anyway)

and i ffollowed the link in the email and actaqully closed it quickly because it looked like some spam to me so at least good to know it was really but the 500 price tag is unreal they are kidding right?