full day battery w/heavy usage is a flat out lie

GahhItsLee

Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, 600-1000 texts is absolutely unreal. Do you have a job?

Yea im 18 i text rather fast and i have a job but i get off work when most of my friends wake up so i text basically 10 hours straight a day. Im using having 3-5 conversations at once

vmspionage

Reaction score
Or even better, just hack one of these in. 6Ah FTW.

SparkFun Electronics - Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 6Ah

how can you hack this? With or without crackin open the shell.
You may be able to just crack open an old battery and swap the connectors/charging circuit, but it might not be able to charge properly (or know when the stop charging). The other option would be to swap the phone's battery plug for a JST connector and use an external lipo charger. Hopefully the phone would still turn on without the monitoring circuit in place.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You could, possibly, hack a micro-USB plug onto it in such a way that the charging circuit thinks the incoming current is from a charger or a computer's USB port. Stretching the limits of portability and has no real bearing on this thread, however. ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, 600-1000 texts is absolutely unreal. Do you have a job?

Yea im 18 i text rather fast and i have a job but i get off work when most of my friends wake up so i text basically 10 hours straight a day. Im using having 3-5 conversations at once

Oh if only for a faster network, then a thousand would be a slow day
I'm old and when I get conversions going with my wife, my brother and a few friends at one time its easy to rack up 50 in just a few minutes
OP, buy another battery and be done with it or go back to a dumbphone
wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

AlphaMack

Reaction score
ok fellas. goto this site and download the

ChevyNo1-0.8Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip

file, name it update.zip put it in main folder, reboot into nandroid recovery thingy and install update.zip.

full charge your battery. NOW how is your battery life?

This quote should have YMMV all over it.

I didn't get any decent battery life until I tried the 1.1 GHz ULV kernel (clocked to 900 MHz max), FWIW.

IanG

Reaction score
Also guys, might have already been pointed out, but a battery that's 6-12+ months old is not going to have anywhere NEAR the amount of battery life of a semi-new battery.

If you're having troubles with battery life, try purchasing a new battery (very cheap from Amazon), and see how your battery life is then.

Remember... every charge lowers a battery life slowly but surely, so no battery will perform like a new battery.

wil318466

Reaction score
ok fellas. goto this site and download the

ChevyNo1-0.8Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip

file, name it update.zip put it in main folder, reboot into nandroid recovery thingy and install update.zip.

full charge your battery. NOW how is your battery life?

This quote should have YMMV all over it.

I didn't get any decent battery life until I tried the 1.1 GHz ULV kernel (clocked to 900 MHz max), FWIW.

Funny you should say that. I downloaded the Ultra low kernel first, installed it, and battery life was terrible. Then downloaded the "low" and it was awesome. I just stayed there, no need to gamble.

It seems everyone has different experiences. Download, try, download, try. One of them will work wonders for you eventually.

Me, I went low instead of ultra low and I get 60% after a full day. Perfect.

Hope this helps at least a few of you.

-Wil

vmspionage

Reaction score
You could, possibly, hack a micro-USB plug onto it in such a way that the charging circuit thinks the incoming current is from a charger or a computer's USB port. Stretching the limits of portability and has no real bearing on this thread, however. ;)
Great idea, but you would need a DC-DC boost regulator to step up the voltage, or a different LiPo with the cells in series and a 5V regulator. True, no one ever said anything about portability :D

Jer

Reaction score
The bottom line here is that 'heavy usage' is a VERY loose term to say the least. I have two spare batteries charged and in the course of a day will go through all three of them while my wife still has 50% remaining at 8:00pm after a full day. I guess they're calling her the heavy user which I would completely disagree. I think the use of this term is quite misleading.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but it's all about usage. The other night at work, I had several projects and a new employee to train and I didn't pickup my D1 all night. When I got home after 10 hours I had 90% left. Most of the time I had 20% - 40%.

UNC

Reaction score
Mine dies pretty quickly too. Maybe 3hrs at most of "real" heavy use. Checking this forum, twitter, facebbook, etc. It lasts all day if its screen is off for the majority of the day.

Btw I have multiple batteries, so don't tell me my battery is no good. I have tried endless rom/kernel combos and millions of setcpu profiles. All of them suck down battery...

This is a problem with all Android phones... who would've thought that running an OS thru a VM would require more work to be done by the processor (which we all know taxes the battery)......

Benton

Reaction score
My read on the discussion is perspective. The comparison and parallel I draw for this is a laptop computer (a Droid is basically a palmtop computer). For those that use laptops like me, let's unplug them and surf the web, do some email, facebook, twitter using wifi for three hours, what is our battery life (my Dell will be dead). Now let's run the same test on a Droid. Same results for the Droid vs Dell or maybe 20%-40% still left on the Droid...it makes sense and meets my realistic expectations. The Droid is not just a phone but in reality a computer that happens to have a form factor and function that includes a phone. A better battery life under this type of usage can be achieved but that battery will violate the envelope of the phone's case so the device becomes bigger...something I do not want. Spare batteries are a cheap alternative if no power source is ever available while using the Droid.

wil318466

Reaction score
Have none of you tried using the low or medium voltage kernel in the post earlier in the thread?

It makes a huge battery difference. It's not about usage, its about the right kernel. Of course your phone will have more battery if you don't use it - but that's not the point. You want more battery time for the same amount of usage.

Install the kernel. it's easy.