full day battery w/heavy usage is a flat out lie

velocity92c

Reaction score
So I just went on a 3 day trip where I spent most of my time as a passenger in a vehicle. I also left my car charger at home, and could only get juice every couple hours at service call stops.

Knowing this in advance I did everything I possibly could to preserve my battery. I disabled everything. Sync, Wifi, GPS, etc. I underclocked my droid to 400mhz and set the governor to on demand. I downloaded an app to lower my screen brightness lower than the default value (set it to 2 out of a range of 0 to 255).

Turned off background data and was in good service areas the whole time. I was lucky if my phone lasted 3 hours with heavy use.

I see people post all the time about their phones lasting all day on a single charge with moderate to heavy use. It is simply not true. This is my second droid and my first one's battery life was just as bad so I know I don't have a lemon.

When I say heavy use, I mean I was on the phone the entire time. My brightness was so low that under battery use my display was the 3rd highest culprit and only took 23% of a full charge off of my battery life.

I think people whose Droids last all day are using it maybe a couple times an hour and have all their settings tweaked down. I like running my Droid overclocked and with sync on, and if I run it this way I'm lucky to get an hour and a half of moderate use.

The Droid battery life is just plain bad.

bomber889

Reaction score
Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean others can't. My droid could last 24 hours with 20% left with moderate usage. 40-50 texts, 30 min - 1 hour browser. Also, it ran at a 1.1 ulv 1.1ghz kernel, ondemand.

Why would you need to turn your brightness all the way down anyways if you're calling people. The screen shouldn't be on. 1 hour and a half of moderate use is definitely not normal. What apps would be draining your battery? what rom are you running. what kernel are you running?

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Dont forget that the specifications for the Droid say up to 385min(6.4 hours) usage time. So if the phone is being used continuously then it cannot last longer than 7hours.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
So I just went on a 3 day trip where I spent most of my time as a passenger in a vehicle. I also left my car charger at home, and could only get juice every couple hours at service call stops.

Knowing this in advance I did everything I possibly could to preserve my battery. I disabled everything. Sync, Wifi, GPS, etc. I underclocked my droid to 400mhz and set the governor to on demand. I downloaded an app to lower my screen brightness lower than the default value (set it to 2 out of a range of 0 to 255).

Turned off background data and was in good service areas the whole time. I was lucky if my phone lasted 3 hours with heavy use.

I see people post all the time about their phones lasting all day on a single charge with moderate to heavy use. It is simply not true. This is my second droid and my first one's battery life was just as bad so I know I don't have a lemon.

When I say heavy use, I mean I was on the phone the entire time. My brightness was so low that under battery use my display was the 3rd highest culprit and only took 23% of a full charge off of my battery life.

I think people whose Droids last all day are using it maybe a couple times an hour and have all their settings tweaked down. I like running my Droid overclocked and with sync on, and if I run it this way I'm lucky to get an hour and a half of moderate use.

The Droid battery life is just plain bad.

Are you in an area where 3G network is spotty? From what I understand the phone switching back and forth between 3G and 2G a lot really runs down the battery.

Are you using an anti-virus app that constantly "scans" ?

Are you using an automated Task Killer that constantly uses the CPU to clear memory only for the phone to load it back up?

I'm not sure if udeXtreme 8.0.0 is undervolted, but I can use my phone all day with low to moderate usage.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I answered your first question in the OP. I use no A/V and only use a task killer to end rogue frozen apps. I'm not new to the Droid, so I know both are basically useless. I'm running Sapphire 1.1.1 with a 1ghz sapphire kernel, but even underclocked my phone wasn't up to snuff.

To the poster that asked about the brightness, the display is the number one battery consumer. Turning it down extends battery life. When I say heavy use, I don't mean phone calls. I haven't made maybe 50 phone calls since I got my Droid in march. I prefer email/text. Phone calls take very little battery anyway,

chaz.ring

Reaction score
weird....Even with my weak stock battery for my DINC I can use it a lot and still get about 4 to 5 hours out of it. I then got a seido 3500 mah and can use it as much as needed for a full day without issue. Maybe you got the kind of luck I do and both your devices have been lemon's.....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My battery easily lasts all day without a charge...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"full day battery w/heavy usage is a flat out lie"

I was going to offer a response, but since my battery last all day with heavy usage, you would have to assume that I'd be lying!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
8-9 hours of actual use every day, low signal area, phone on 14+ hours
Is that considered heavy use?
Not rooted, wifi on,3g off, data sync off, screen 20%, task killer set to on demand only, juice defender set to poll every 15 minutes

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Dude, go to Amazon.com and type in Motorola Droid Battery. You can get an OEM battery for like $5. It takes 2 mins to replace the battery and be up and running again. Get a battery charger so you can charge your droid/battery overnight and you're set. That saying my droid can last 48 hours - but I admit I'm a light user... 1-2 hours of browsing/checking gmail, an hour or two of calls, and 10-20 texts/day.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The batteries that come with our phones are rated at a certain amount but, if you'll pull the battery and look at it, it says "typical".

Some won't last worth crap and some will be those semi-mytical all-day-long-rocking-hard batteries. Get a second one. It's like $10 delivered from Amazon or eBay and if you look you might find a two-pack with an external charger so you'll always have a spare, charged battery.

And yes, running your Droid for 3 hours straight, even with such a mild underclock, will suck the battery like mad.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude, go to Amazon.com and type in Motorola Droid Battery. You can get an OEM battery for like $5. It takes 2 mins to replace the battery and be up and running again. Get a battery charger so you can charge your droid/battery overnight and you're set. That saying my droid can last 48 hours - but I admit I'm a light user... 1-2 hours of browsing/checking gmail, an hour or two of calls, and 10-20 texts/day.

+1. Bring a little peace and harmony in your life. Get an extra battery and a charger. End of the issue.

Rhino413

Reaction score
Dude!!!

most of us are not liars
and I think your battery is toast

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
How Rude! Calling people you don't know liars, because your equipment wont duplicate their experience is foolish. Is it possible you have a bad battery?

I assure you with the stock battery with heavy to moderate use I get 16 hours with the bigger D2 battery I get 18 hours. I define heavy to moderate as 2x-30min phone calls, constant e-mail updates, constant rss news feeds, and 30-40 minutes of YouTube vids. Plus all the weather and news widgets I got running.

2 batteries and a second charger is brilliant and not that expensive!

Why would you travel without a car charger?

TekHawk

Reaction score
I would blame it on the in and out of 3g/1x which does drain the battery vary fast you can kill the battery in a few hours in the areas where you can't even make calls "fyi no other carriers can make calls from this are vzw can but its choppy as all hell" but I can get over 24 hours with reasonable usage out of mine when avoiding that area