full day battery w/heavy usage is a flat out lie

Jer

Reaction score
Have none of you tried using the low or medium voltage kernel in the post earlier in the thread?

It makes a huge battery difference. It's not about usage, its about the right kernel. Of course your phone will have more battery if you don't use it - but that's not the point. You want more battery time for the same amount of usage.

Install the kernel. it's easy.

I have tried more kernels than I care to count. It amazes me how some people can't accept that some people just use their phone more. Simple as that. No kernel will get my through a day on a single battery because you're talking about 3x the battery life out of a kernel? Not gonna happen.

I was able to go from BBv0.4 to the new BB0.5 ROM and gain about 35% increase in battery life with snappier performance with the stock ROM... no kernel installed yet. I do a lot of testing of various ROMs and kernels before I add more stuff on top of them and so far this base ROM for BBv0.5 seems like a real winner. I would recommend this to anyone else as well.

wil318466

Reaction score
Just to be fair here, I've had kernels installed where within 5 hours I'd be at 30% battery. I"ve had Kernels installed where I had 60% at the end of the day.

In fact, today I started with a 100% charge. That was, oh, 15 hours ago. I had light usage, no doubt, sent maybe 30 texts, 2 phone calls, some quick web browsing. I'm at 70%. I probably won't have to charge until tomorrow night.

i guess it's just different for everyone. For me, the change has been amazing.

Jer

Reaction score
Just to be fair here, I've had kernels installed where within 5 hours I'd be at 30% battery. I"ve had Kernels installed where I had 60% at the end of the day.

In fact, today I started with a 100% charge. That was, oh, 15 hours ago. I had light usage, no doubt, sent maybe 30 texts, 2 phone calls, some quick web browsing. I'm at 70%. I probably won't have to charge until tomorrow night.

i guess it's just different for everyone. For me, the change has been amazing.

I just changed my battery out for the first time today and got over 13hrs on a single charge. This was with what I would consider minimal use since I had a pretty busy day and wasn't able to use my phone as much as I normally do. Normal days with the same ROM/kernel I'm changing the battery by lunch time. Point is if you are truly a heavy user a kernel is on;y going to swing it 20% or so at MOST and this isn't going to extend your battery life but an hour max with the most drastic of swings. If you are getting 15hrs off of what you have now and 5-6hrs off of the other kernel that same setup would likely last me like an hour or two at best. Point is I use my phone a LOT and what may be 20% to you would also be 20% to me but that difference in time is drastic. Trust me, I've tried it all. if you use the phone a lot you WILL eat up batteries and no kernel is going to triple that capacity.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
Part of my reason for making this thread was to point out how arbitrary a term like heavy use is. I use my Droid more than 99.99% of people that own one, and I have no delusions of grandeur as far as my battery goes. I know it will be dead in 3 hours without a charge if I use it nonstop. I was just pointing out the fact that the majority of folks that claim a full days battery with heavy usage probably use their phone about 10% as much as I do in a day's time. If I only used my phone in the limited manner as the poster above me, my battery would last multiple days. I've averaged 11 hours of usage a day on my Droid since purchasing it (screen on time). And obviously using my phone as much as I do I've rooted it and tried a crazy amount of kernels. Another user made the comparison to a laptop which is spot on.

I guess I just get tired of seeing people claim a full days usage when they spend maybe 2 hours actual time on their phone. I sent 1200 texts yesterday, for example. I truly am a 'heavy user'.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I just read all the replies in this thread and they are exactly why I made this thread. Every single person that said they got a full day of usage out of their phone that also included their usage stats are using their phone VERY little actual ontime. Just because the screen is off 90% of the day and you use your phone the other 10% (2.4 hours) does NOT mean you are a heavy user.

and my point was proven, as the droid is incapable of running for longer than 7 hours straight regardless of settings, and multiple users claimed 8+ hours ontime on a single charge. In other words, a flat out lie. And also I laughed pretty hard at those there were all OMG @ the user that sends 600 to 1000 texts a day. I sent 1200 yesterday, a very slow day for me.

I would consider having your screen on for 6 hours or more, regardless of use, heavy usage. And to those suggesting backup or replacement batteries, do you not think I've already purchased them? My post was merely pointing out how people lie about their usage. Anyway you cut it, 3 hours of phone usage, regardless of games, calls, texts, emails, etc. is not heavy usage. Period.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
Jer, thank you. You and I use our phones a lot. These people claiming all day usage are really only using their phones an hour or two a day. Just because your phone sits with you at work and you check your email or respond to a text a few times an hour does not mean you were using it all day.

Here's a true test for all of you making these ridiculous claims. Just try using your phone for 3 hours without the screen ever turning off. Browse the web, play some games, do whatever. Change your settings to however you want them. No way your battery is over 50% and I would be shocked if it was even that.

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
Have none of you tried using the low or medium voltage kernel in the post earlier in the thread?

It makes a huge battery difference. It's not about usage, its about the right kernel. Of course your phone will have more battery if you don't use it - but that's not the point. You want more battery time for the same amount of usage.

Install the kernel. it's easy.

Dude, it doesn't make much of a difference at all. 800mhz standard voltage gives me the same battery life as 800mhz ULV does.... if there's a difference, I can't tell.