From Liberty 2.0.1, Stock, Apex, CM7, etc. (ANY ROM) to Liberty GB

manhatton

Reaction score
Figured as much. Oh well. Hadn't taken into account that it would take undoing the steps to get to GB if I needed to go back. Makes sense though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
K
Reaction score
Updated OP to reflect that I now recommend using the 2-part Rooted GB .602 (found here: Official Gingerbread update 4.5.602 (rooted and ready) or Stock.) instead of the 2-part Rooted GB .596

I also noted that when you install LGB 0.x over .602, you'll find that your System version will read .596, but the new kernel and radio versions from the .602 update will stick. The kernel and radio are the important parts of this update, as they facilitate better battery life when using bluetooth as well as the resolution to the signal loss (but I still have 4 bars whaaaa!??) problem.

If you're already on LGB 0.x, you have to go through the entire process in the OP to get to the .602 radio and kernel. I personally believe it was worth it!

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Updated OP to reflect that I now recommend using the 2-part Rooted GB .602 (found here: Official Gingerbread update 4.5.602 (rooted and ready) or Stock.) instead of the 2-part Rooted GB .596

I also noted that when you install LGB 0.x over .602, you'll find that your System version will read .596, but the new kernel and radio versions from the .602 update will stick. The kernel and radio are the important parts of this update, as they facilitate better battery life when using bluetooth as well as the resolution to the signal loss (but I still have 4 bars whaaaa!??) problem.

If you're already on LGB 0.x, you have to go through the entire process in the OP to get to the .602 radio and kernel. I personally believe it was worth it!

Thanks Kasey!

I was thinking this was going to be the only way to update my current setup. I was basically just waiting for you to tell us how to update b/c I have been so busy with work lately, I haven't had time to read the forums. So installing LGB v0.9 right over .602 doesn't screw with any of the system files? I was thinking about running rooted stock for a few days hoping the Liberty guys would finally release 1.0, maybe with a .602 base. Any new on that happening? Thanks again.

Unclecheese

Reaction score
Kasey or anyone...
I have not tried this install yet. I wanted to make sure I can get into Stock Recovery first, dry run so to speak.
Can anyone telll me why I cannot get to the Stock Recovery screen with the triangle and exclamation mark.
I am on AOSP Liberty GB v0.8.
After a battery pull, I reinsert the battery, I hold Home & Power. I get to my custom boot logo and nothing else.
The boot logo will flash on and off every few seconds. If I release the the Home button it will simply boot up to the phone like normal.

Is Stock Recovery removed by the AOSP LGB ROM?
I have tried Reboot Recovery through the Rom Toolbox and it does the same, boot logo comes on, dissapears, then the phone boots up as normal.
I can get to the Bootloader screen with no problem.
I must be doing something wrong. Thanks

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe on the dx, it's power, home and the volume rocker. It's a different button combo for the d2, but you absolutely should be able to get into stock recovery.

CM74D2 (v6 supercharged)

Unclecheese

Reaction score
I believe on the dx, it's power, home and the volume rocker. It's a different button combo for the d2, but you absolutely should be able to get into stock recovery.

CM74D2 (v6 supercharged)

Thanks ldopa, that combo gets me to is the Boot Loader with white text on black background, OK to Program, etc.
Not Stock Recovery.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Kasey or anyone...
I have not tried this install yet. I wanted to make sure I can get into Stock Recovery first, dry run so to speak.
Can anyone telll me why I cannot get to the Stock Recovery screen with the triangle and exclamation mark.
I am on AOSP Liberty GB v0.8.
After a battery pull, I reinsert the battery, I hold Home & Power. I get to my custom boot logo and nothing else.
The boot logo will flash on and off every few seconds. If I release the the Home button it will simply boot up to the phone like normal.

Is Stock Recovery removed by the AOSP LGB ROM?
I have tried Reboot Recovery through the Rom Toolbox and it does the same, boot logo comes on, dissapears, then the phone boots up as normal.
I can get to the Bootloader screen with no problem.
I must be doing something wrong. Thanks

This is how you get to stock recovery on GB.

Gingerbread Stock Recovery
1. Turn your phone off.
2. Hold down “Home” and press the “Power”. Hold them until the Motorola logo appears
3. Release the “Power” button, but continue to hold the “Home” button until you see an exclamation mark (!)
4. Release the “Home” button and press the “Volume UP & Down” keys at the same time once (and only once!)
5. Power button to select and Volume up and down to scroll

Let me google that for you

Unclecheese

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time CJ.
I am holding the Home button (the button with the little home pic on it) and Power. When I see my boot logo I release the Power button and continue to hold the Home button. My boot logo displays for about 3 seconds then the screen goes black. While I continue to hold the Home button the black screen lasts for 8-10 seconds the I get my boot logo again for 3 -4 seconds then black screen. This will go on for as long as I hold the Home button. When I release the Home button the phone will simply boot up as normal. I'm at a loss.

[edit] It's almost as if, during the 10 seconds of black screen, it is trying to go into Stock Recovery but just can't seem to get there???
I have tried powering up with all sorts of diffrerent button combos and nothing is getting me to the android guy & ! screen.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Kasey!

I was thinking this was going to be the only way to update my current setup. I was basically just waiting for you to tell us how to update b/c I have been so busy with work lately, I haven't had time to read the forums. So installing LGB v0.9 right over .602 doesn't screw with any of the system files? I was thinking about running rooted stock for a few days hoping the Liberty guys would finally release 1.0, maybe with a .602 base. Any new on that happening? Thanks again.

I'm not entirely sure if it does mess with any system files but so far I'm getting nothing but benefit from the update. I'm with you in hoping the devs update liberty with .602 but no I don't have any information about it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time CJ.
I am holding the Home button (the button with the little home pic on it) and Power. When I see my boot logo I release the Power button and continue to hold the Home button. My boot logo displays for about 3 seconds then the screen goes black. While I continue to hold the Home button the black screen lasts for 8-10 seconds the I get my boot logo again for 3 -4 seconds then black screen. This will go on for as long as I hold the Home button. When I release the Home button the phone will simply boot up as normal. I'm at a loss.

[edit] It's almost as if, during the 10 seconds of black screen, it is trying to go into Stock Recovery but just can't seem to get there???
I have tried powering up with all sorts of diffrerent button combos and nothing is getting me to the android guy & ! screen.

I'm having the same problem. I had to SBF earlier today because I couldn't get into stock recovery to do a data wipe when I was upgrading.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I had to SBF earlier today because I couldn't get into stock recovery to do a data wipe when I was upgrading.

I am about to install the new .602 update. I will let you guys know if I can get into stock recovery after I SBF.

Edit: Just for fun I tried to enter stock recovery before starting the process. It worked just as it should (see post above for instructions).

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone not being able to get into stock recovery. Hope you get it sorted!

CM74D2 (v6 supercharged)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Kasey... I didn't want to see "SBF" as a solution, but it is what it is.
You must have got Stock Recovery back then?

No. I still can't get into stock recovery. But I don't need it because as long as my phone does what it's supposed to, I can get into CWM. No idea why I can't get into stock recovery but it does exactly the same thing yours does. If I hold down the home key while it's booting it just reboots over and over again. I also get a slight vibration when it shuts off, a delay of a few seconds, and it comes back on. I checked to make sure I could get into stock recovery on FroYo, and I still could, but when I installed .602 I couldn't anymore. No idea. If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem please let us know soonest. :)

More detail on what I did... my phone was boot looping because I didn't wipe data/factory reset after I installed .602. I went through the process of SBF to FroYo, wipe data, root, bootstrap, install .602 and install Liberty, then at the end I didn't wipe data/factory reset again. That's why I was trying to get into stock recovery, but I never got there. So I decided to SBF back to FroYo, where it then would let me wipe data and go through the same process, this time NOT forgetting to wipe data/factory reset before I left CWM. An annoying way to fix such a small problem, but after trying a bunch of different key combos, I couldn't think of anything else.