Returning to Liberty 2.0.1 from Liberty GB?

busterbluth

Reaction score
I have been rocking Liberty 2.0.1 for the last couple weeks and it is fantastically stable and so much better than stock. I think I finally got everything working just the way I want it. My phone is rock solid and doing what it should do.

So naturally, I am now considering installing the new Liberty GB beta releases as they also appear to be very stable. My biggest problem is that I need a good exit strategy if I run into any showstoppers after upgrading to GB.

For example, I would love to make a nandroid backup of where I am now with 2.0.1 and roll right back to it if I hit any speedbumps with GB. From what I have read, I am gathering it will not be that easy since GB has a new kernel. Is this correct?

If so, what is the process to get back to 2.0.1? Would I need to SBF, re-root, install Liberty Toolbox and then restore my nandroid backup of 2.0.1?

I have never SBF'd before so I would prefer to avoid that if possible. I did burn the ISO from this thread and keep it as a security blanket. This appears to be the easiest/safest way to SBF from what I have seen so far:

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

...and it appears to work from what I am reading. Also curious, if anyone has used this method to SBF and any thoughts they have to share.

Thanks!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been rocking Liberty 2.0.1 for the last couple weeks and it is fantastically stable and so much better than stock. I think I finally got everything working just the way I want it. My phone is rock solid and doing what it should do.

So naturally, I am now considering installing the new Liberty GB beta releases as they also appear to be very stable. My biggest problem is that I need a good exit strategy if I run into any showstoppers after upgrading to GB.

For example, I would love to make a nandroid backup of where I am now with 2.0.1 and roll right back to it if I hit any speedbumps with GB. From what I have read, I am gathering it will not be that easy since GB has a new kernel. Is this correct?

If so, what is the process to get back to 2.0.1? Would I need to SBF, re-root, install Liberty Toolbox and then restore my nandroid backup of 2.0.1?

I have never SBF'd before so I would prefer to avoid that if possible. I did burn the ISO from this thread and keep it as a security blanked. This appears to be the easiest/safest way to SBF from what I have seen so far:

...and it appears to work from what I am reading. Also curious, if anyone has used this method to SBF and any thoughts they have to share.

Thanks!

I'm right with ya. On liberty 2.0.1. I love it and am happy, but would like to try gb. It will never be enough it seems. Anyway, if you flash the leak first, you can jump on liberty gb. Now it's still in beta stage so it has bugs. You may want to wait until the final release comes out in a month or so. If you do decide to flash and you don't like it, you will have to sbf. You may not want to do it, but if you want to play with a beta build of a rom, you NEED to know how to sbf. I'll be happy to walk you through it if you so choose

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way I use windows xp to run rsd lite 4.9. It works every time.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

beckerfj

Reaction score

I have never SBF'd before so I would prefer to avoid that if possible. I did burn the ISO from this thread and keep it as a security blanked. This appears to be the easiest/safest way to SBF from what I have seen so far:

Thanks!

Yes, regardless of what GB ROM you are on, you will need to SBF to go back to Froyo.

Something you might want to think about is waiting. The official GB ROM is supposed to be out very soon and the developers are likely waiting for that to drop first so they can tweak that for an official release.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

louy99

Reaction score
I use rsdlite on windows 7 with no problems too. I have sbf'd about 3 times and its a piece of cake. Its pretty much flashing a ROM with computer assistance.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

cjriddle22

Reaction score

This is exactly how I felt. Liberty 2.0.1 was everything I needed, it worked perfect, and had zero bugs. But I got the GB itch waiting for the official OTA.

Yes this is correct, you will need to SBF, then re-root, then install your backup of Liberty 2.0.1. The whole process is pretty easy, takes about 30 minutes to get everything back like you had it. Oh and I would use TB to backup my apps too.

Thanks!

SBF sounds intense at first, but once you do it, it is just as easy as flashing a ROM while using a computer. No big deal now that all the files are available. Just make sure you have the up-to-date moto drivers, RSD lite 4.8 or 4.9 and the correct SBF file (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf).

Edit: Oh and I have been running LGB v0.5 for about 10 days now, and it is everything I had hoped for from a Liberty ROM. No issues here. I have had a few more random reboots and freezes than usual with a Liberty ROM, but I am blaming that on the leaked GB base. It is still nothing to be worried about, I seem to have way more reboots on a Stock ROM.

OP
B

busterbluth

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and from what I have read SBF can be dicey on 64-bit because the drivers aren't as solid as their 32-bit counterparts. It seems like the Linux ISO in my OP should avoid all that nonsense. It appears to be pretty much a 1-click SBF. I just hope it all works... :)

Anyway, I'll probably go ahead and try some GB goodness at some point. I assume that when the official GB is released by Moto/VZ that it's new kernel will quickly find its way into a new Liberty GB nightly? I would also assume that if I am already on Liberty GB, I can hopefully just flash that new nightly right over the top of any previous kernel? Or maybe there is no way to know until it happens... oh well. When I have a little time, I might give it a shot. Thanks again!