Free wifi tethering app

Nizmoz

Reaction score
I added foxfi and turned on wifi hotspot and it isn't showing up on my devices. When I turn on mobile hotspot it wants me to pay Verizon 30 extra to activate. How are you guys getting around this?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
U don't turn on ur hotspot. Just tap foxfi. It takes a moment... but it works...

sent from my RAZR MAXX

PapiLouis

Reaction score
Foxfi app on the market is available on the market and so far its working..running on my laptop browsing and so far so good..will just have too see how long it sticks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Do you have to do anything special or do you just have to download it and run it so that it works??

jjlittle1

Reaction score
Worked great for me! finally I can get my galaxy tab some teathering love! Didnt want to root my new phone just yet!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

Nizmoz

Reaction score
Got mine to work. Had to shut down the app, then reactivate the wifi tether then it worked. Each time you turn it off you have to shut down the app for it to work the next time.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just did an update for my sons ps3 with foxfi... it was a little slow as per Verizon's speed. But it worked great. Took a little over 30 mins. Not too bad I guess?? Idk how long wifi would've normally done it

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Jcassell1

Reaction score
how are you guys getting it to work. my laptop will connect but I do not have internet access

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Downloaded Foxfi soon after activating my phone yesterday. Download app, open app & check off box that say activate hotspot. Connected to my wifi Xoom & laptop right away. Also I excepted the system update and Foxfi still works afterwards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

mcsoul

Reaction score
Thanks for the report on taking the foxfi update KeepInitReal, glad to hear it still works.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
If running laptop with windows 7 you have to wait for the screen where you pick if its a home, work, or public network before you get the internet access.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cinoib

Reaction score
I used the SqLite hac on the Bionic for several months. I then got the Maxx. I have not yet rooted the Maxx but the HotSpot app native to the phone will require you to pay Verizon for tether. Hence, if you root the Maxx with the recent hac (Motofail_Windows(1)) then you won't have to pay Verizon squat. However, my guess is that if you start using 59 Gigs of data in your cycle, you'll become a reason for Verizon to look into your sessions online. I.e., they might put two and two together and figure out that you're not paying for access. So as a rule of thumb, I stayed under 5 gigs and never had an issue. Now that I'm using the Maxx, I have to use my T-mobile hotspot because I haven't rooted the Maxx.

I'm waiting for a while to see if those who root with the above mentioned exploit have any problems. So far, everyone seems to be happy.

I might try that FoxFi thing...

how are you guys getting it to work. my laptop will connect but I do not have internet access

brobox

Reaction score
If you're have problems with Foxfi here's what worked for me.

Turn wi-fi OFF on the phone, I added a toggle on my home page.

Launch Foxfi app, check "Activate WiFi Hotspot" wait until "android38" shows up on your wireless device, then click on that wifi connections.

The first time I used it on my Netbook, Windows 7, I did have to run "repair" after that it took right off.

Kendle Fire, it worked as soon as I turned the fire on.

Last edited:

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
If you're have problems with Foxfi here's what worked for me.

Turn wi-fi OFF on the phone, I added a toggle on my home page.

Launch Foxfi app, check "Activate WiFi Hotspot" wait until "android38" shows up on your wireless device, then click on that wifi connections.

The first time I used it on my Netbook, Windows 7, I did have to run "repair" after that it took right off.

What shows up as a hotspot could be android (whatever number) not just android38 ;)

brobox

Reaction score
What shows up as a hotspot could be android (whatever number) not just android38 ;)

Ah yeah! notice the quote marks around android38....that's what shows up for my network name.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I used the SqLite hac on the Bionic for several months. I then got the Maxx. I have not yet rooted the Maxx but the HotSpot app native to the phone will require you to pay Verizon for tether. Hence, if you root the Maxx with the recent hac (Motofail_Windows(1)) then you won't have to pay Verizon squat. However, my guess is that if you start using 59 Gigs of data in your cycle, you'll become a reason for Verizon to look into your sessions online. I.e., they might put two and two together and figure out that you're not paying for access. So as a rule of thumb, I stayed under 5 gigs and never had an issue. Now that I'm using the Maxx, I have to use my T-mobile hotspot because I haven't rooted the Maxx.

I'm waiting for a while to see if those who root with the above mentioned exploit have any problems. So far, everyone seems to be happy.

I might try that FoxFi thing...

Amen! Preach on! If you're using over 10GB per month, you need to pay Verizon! That's only $3 per GB. If you're like me and just need to tether every now and then when you're away from a WiFi signal, then this should be fine.