foxfi for s4

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
One more thing, I have an S3 which is rooted and unlocked, and it needed it to run super smooth "with a few issues here and there, but that is the trade off by loading unregistered software to your device". Now in regards to the S4, hell this phone is smooth as butter without any rooting, yes you get a few features that you don't with a stock ROM, but again, is it worth it to crap out a brand new phone, when in the end the same phone runs like a bandit out of the box. That is one reason I waited seven months to root my S3, by that time the Devs had things a bit more under control.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sooner or later you will have to get the update, no matter how hard you resist, even by being rooted, once 4.3 comes out "which again will be a new build" that the Devs will have no access to, what will you do, if by that time the devs have not broken the new boot loader lock, they also will not be able to flash any new updates to your device, since any new build has to be accessible to the devs for them to implement their features, so again, what will you do.
Yeah, but I've only had the phone for a week so far I'll hang onto it happily for now. I'll resist their attempt at forcing an update as long as I can, and I can always turn to ROMs once those are released and solved such issues. And as far as I'm concerned regarding 4.3, I myself am not familiar with any new features that OS will have, but I've been perfectly happy with JellyBean ever since I had it on my Nexus.

There will always be a workaround. Just 2 years ago there were fears of root being phased out yet there has always been a workaround. Until the day that root is no longer possible I will have my device/s rooted.

I'm not resisting change at all, if I did I'd still have my Nexus. I'm just with the small percentage around the globe who wants full access of their device. I have alot of faith in the Android dev community and they have yet to let me down. Manufacturers are definitely making root more difficult with each iteration and update, but I believe the dev community can keep pace. Sure it may take longer to root a device than before but it certainly is possible.

Maybe there will be a day where I decide I no longer need root like how I've decided with this device so far that I don't need a ROM. The Android experience is much improved than what it used to be and out of the box the s4 is a fantastic phone which is why I pretty much kept it stock with the exception of root. TouchWiz and all the stock features are still on and useful for me. Until that day comes where I find root to be unnecessary like I do ROMs, at least for now, then I'll happily keep my rooted device even if it is using stock ROM.

So what will I do then? I can't tell you because that day hasn't come yet. I'm enjoying my phone in the now which is all that matters.

GVLBob

Reaction score
It still works, once the pop up window comes up, just chose Go to My Verizon Mobile, after the app opens, just press the home button and you are good to go. This is pretty much implemented for all those unlimited data HOGS who use their unlimited data to tether like there is no tomorrow, sorry if I was Verizon I would do the same thing, they are selling you unlimited data for your device, not to use it as a substitute of your home Internet or business solutions, people always had to pay extra for a tethering plan, but this is happening do to those unlimited data plan users who have abused it.. I also have unlimited data, but have never gone to the extremes that I see some people boast about, like 100 GIGS a month. No wonder Verizon is doing this.

Another option is to simply ignore the popup. But if you hit Cancel, FoxFi doesn't work. At least it didn't for me.

Don't forget that Verizon settled a lawsuit back in August with the FCC, which said that they would allow users to use their phones as Wi-Fi hotspots without an additional charge.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another option is to simply ignore the popup.

And don't forget that Verizon settled a lawsuit back in August with the FCC, which said that they would allow users to use their phones as Wi-Fi hotspots without an additional charge.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News
You can not ignore the pop up, you need to go the route I said or chose the second option and call them " I suggest youignore that option:biggrin:". In regards to the lawsuit, that was not intended for the unlimited data plan subscribers, but only for the set data cap subscribers, that is why when you sign up for their new "share all your money with us plan, tethering is included at no extra charge with the contract".

Last edited:

GVLBob

Reaction score
You can not ignore the pop up, you need to go the route I said or chose the second option and call them " I suggest youignore that option:biggrin:". In regards to the lawsuit, that was not intended for the unlimited data plan subscribers, but only for the set data cap subscribers, that is why when you sign up for their new "share all your money with us plan, tethering is included at no extra charge with the contract".

You CAN ignore the pop up... give it a try!

And my understanding of the lawsuit is that it applies to both new and existing users.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Haha no trying to be argumentative at all Cybertec, but you do bring up some good points regarding carrier/manufacturer lock down. Yeah it's an issue that Android users have been dealing with for years now, but like I said, there have always been workarounds. If some day that is no longer fact then users such as myself have a big decision to make; stay with an older build ROM, accept the new updates that lock down our devices, or jump ship to another OS that allows such freedoms. Considering how popular Android has become so quickly, it's within the companies' (mainly manufacturers) best interest to lock down their devices, especially with these Google Edition flagship devices showing. Well then I guess that gives me another choice in paying retail for Google Editions....

Until that day, I'll continue to look at the glass half full and enjoy what we as Android users have now. Should you choose to accept the stock experience, more power to you, it's a great user experience that I'm similarly experiencing, but for now, let me have my root access to further improve my experience.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root is nice as I can attest from my S3, but my thinking is, is it worth it on a new device that is already running buttery smooth out of the box, yes you get to play around a bit more with Root. Like I said, I am not one against Root, heck I can't wait for the Devs to break it, and also give us an unlocked boot loader as was and is the case with the S3, the S4 still does not have an unlocked boot loader, only root access. Once they do this, and everyone is sure that any new update that enhances the device is able to be implemented by the devs including their own sauce on top, I am at the front of the line. Even with the unlocked and rooted S3, everytime a new radio or any new feature that improved the device was easy accessible and able to be implemented into any new ROM, that was and still is the beauty of it, heck I have like five different ROMS on my external Micro SD card including the stock Verizon ROM on my S3, and can switch as I please with ease.

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
So I gave the application to try and as long as I didn't hit cancel it did connect. Now I'm hoping that there shouldn't be any sneaky hidden fees

mike4410

Reaction score
It still works, once the pop up window comes up, just chose Go to My Verizon Mobile, after the app opens, just press the home button and you are good to go. This is pretty much implemented for all those unlimited data HOGS who use their unlimited data to tether like there is no tomorrow, sorry if I was Verizon I would do the same thing, they ar
e selling you unlimited data for your device, not to use it as a substitute of your home Internet or business solutions, people always had to pay extra for a tethering plan, but this is happening do to those unlimited data plan users who have abused it.. I also have unlimited data, but have never gone to the extremes that I see some people boast about, like 100 GIGS a month. No wonder Verizon is doing this.

No I am sorry they are selling unlimited data. I have it and will always have it. I usually use 4 gig. Sometimes I have gone up to 50. But its mine to use I pay for it.

To say someone who uses data that they pay for is idioic.

Last edited:
OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
No I am sorry they are selling unlimited data. I have it and will always have it. I usually use 4 gig. Sometimes I have gone up to 50. But its mine to use I pay for it.

To say someone who uses data that they pay for is idioic.

I have unlimited data plan so this should not impact me

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I gave the application to try and as long as I didn't hit cancel it did connect. Now I'm hoping that there shouldn't be any sneaky hidden fees
There shouldn't be. Heck, my vzw rep even recommended I download FoxFi since I had unlimited. I've kept an eye on my account every day since upgrading and so far no "mobile hotspot" plan was added to my account. Thought he was trying to dupe me into the plan lol