Replacing Rezound - S3 or S4

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my wife's HTC Rezound. I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money top get a S4 over the S3. I have the S3 and it is an amazing phone. If i get the S4, I will keep it and my wife will inherit my S3. However, I can get an S3 for about half the price of an S4. $150 vs $300. I haven't really gotten to play with an S4 so I don't know if the advantages are worth the cost. Has anyone had the opportunity to use both.
Future updates aren't really much of an incentive for me because I plan to root both in order to prevent KitKat from negating my FoxFi. The pimped up screen is cool, but again im not sure that it is worth double the cost. What things am I not considering? Thanks.

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Get the S4

I had a Rezound and on Black Friday 2013 I got a FREE S4 from Best Buy. The S4 beats the Rezound in all aspects you can think of; battery, screen, charging speed, software features and camera. The S4 does not heat up with mobile data on like the Rezound did. What I am trying to say is wait for a good deal from say Best Buy and get the S4, you won’t be disappointed.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I agree, S4. While the S3 is still a great phone, it probably won't get many more updates since it is about 2 years old, and by the time she is eligible again it will be quite lacking. Apps are getting more and more capable, using more memory and CPU, and in a year an S3 just won't cut it.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I agree, S4. While the S3 is still a great phone, it probably won't get many more updates since it is about 2 years old, and by the time she is eligible again it will be quite lacking. Apps are getting more and more capable, using more memory and CPU, and in a year an S3 just won't cut it.

Just noted your comment about upgrades and rooting. Still, S3 will be sucking wind within a year. I'd be tempted to say wait for the S5, then give her your S4 but the S5 will come out with KitKat. Not sure your carrier, but around here on VZW the S3 has been free and the S4 has been as low as $50.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I still sitting on Unlimited Data, so anything I buy will be off contract. I would much prefer to wait and get the S5, but I am at a loss unless FoxFi figures out a workaround for devices running KitKat. I do think that the processor and Camera alone are probably worth the step-up. I had hoped to hear from some individuals who had previously used the S3 and had since upgraded to the S4, so as to get a real world comparison of the two. That is why this was posted in both forums, so I could get different points of view, but i see the administrators didn't see it that way, and they deleted the thread for the GS3 forum. Weak.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I also have the Rezound and went and looked at the S4 today as I'm thinking of going through the VZW Edge plan. $20 a month and considering the amount of data I use, the bill won't be much more than $25 a month extra, including the phone fee.

Anyway, my ex wife has an S3 and while it is nice, I don't think it was all that much better than the Rezound. in fact, the HTC sense was IMHO far better than her S3 menus and her phone really didn't impress me all that much.

Even if paying for the phone out of pocket, I would get the S4. I'll probably go pick one up tomorrow and become one of the non unlimited guys.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You can do a Verizon smartphone on device payment for 12 months and keep your unlimited. You could virtually buy any phone, and add it. You can also buy the Moto X direct from Motorola/Google for $399 or . A teacher, student or alumni, with a valid '.edu' email address, can get the Moto X for $339 (at Motorola website). You may search other online stores. And you can customize the color scheme of the casing. You are getting a top notch phone, with no Motoblur front end software. The technical specs for the Moto X are great. A true Google Android phone. Then add it to your line, also keeping your unlimited.