For those of you who see the pixelation and have had the phone a while...

rkeller62

Reaction score
Please read above, all the screens are Pentile technology, Bionic's Pentile, Super AMOLED and Super AMOLED +.

S AMOLED + screens use an RGB stripe sub-pixel layout, not pentile.

SAMOLED uses RGBG Pentile arrangement and Motorola qHD LCD screens use RGBW Pentile arrangement.

Each is unique and will have different power consumption requirements.

DJRobNM

Reaction score
When much better phones are SO close to release, is it really worth accepting the shortcomings of this screen?

What and when are these better phones coming out for Verizon?

Anyone have a clear roadmap?

I just went and looked at the Bionic at Costco and I admit, the screen was disappointing enough to stop me from buying right then and there (when my OG Droid looks better I know there is something wrong).

I was also disappointed that it wasn't 4.5", the camera is lousy, and camera button is gone.

The Bionic may be functional, but I expect that as well as an increase in quality for a $280 phone.

tono80

Reaction score
It is a deal breaker for me. I see the pixels sticking out at my face like a sore thumb. I'm not even picky, believe me, I want keep this phone so badly. The quality compared to my original Droid is 100 times worse. I'm going to have to return the phone.

One question for those who really see the pixelation: Do you happen to have Daltonism (many males have it and don't even know it). I have Daltonism (found out like 2 years ago), and also have 20/20 vision. You can do a quick test online (color blindness). Yes, I can see color. Just because you're color blind doesn't mean you cannot see colors contrary to popular belief.

If you clearly see pixels and discover that you have Daltonism please reply. I don't now why it sticks out so clearly to me while other people barely notice it or don't notice it at all.....

lykofos

Reaction score
One question for those who really see the pixelation: Do you happen to have Daltonism (many males have it and don't even know it). I have Daltonism (found out like 2 years ago), and also have 20/20 vision. You can do a quick test online (color blindness). Yes, I can see color. Just because you're color blind doesn't mean you cannot see colors contrary to popular belief.

If you clearly see pixels and discover that you have Daltonism please reply. I don't now why it sticks out so clearly to me while other people barely notice it or don't notice it at all.....

I did the test online and it said I have protanomaly (a type of red-weakness color blindness). In most general use, the screen looks absolutely fine to me. I do notice the pixels in some instances: the battery icon (but only if I hold the phone closely to my face), the unlock screen, and in certain types of solid menu bars / icons. It's not often enough to be bothersome or annoying, and being able to see the screen outdoors under direct sunlight outweighs the slim occurrences when I do notice the pixels.

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
I see the pixelation on occasion, usually when I have the phone close to my face. Generally its not an issue, I think I adjusted to it automatically after a few days of use.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JRizEJ6

Reaction score
had the phone since a day after launch and its still as noticeable as day one. unless something magical happened and your phones display technology suddenly changed over night i dont see how people can stop noticing it. this has been a hot topic since the very beginning and it seems like its split right down the middle between people who can see the pixels and those who cant. for me, i can see them at almost every screen that im on. and its not like i have my nose buried in the phone either. even at arms length it is clearly visible. i mean its been mentioned by almost every reviewer and its a known "feature" of pentile screen technology. honestly at this point i feel like im getting trolled by those saying that the screen is "fine" and that "the pixelation is not noticeable". maybe its just my handset, maybe some people really cant see it, maybe im half bird and have eagle eyes, maybe cucumbers taste better pickled. whatever the case is, i can definitely see it. however with all that said the screen really isnt a deal breaker for me, i really dont mind. but it just blows my mind that people can say with a straight face that there is nothing wrong with the screen.

JimmyGT

Reaction score
had the phone since a day after launch and its still as noticeable as day one. unless something magical happened and your phones display technology suddenly changed over night i dont see how people can stop noticing it. this has been a hot topic since the very beginning and it seems like its split right down the middle between people who can see the pixels and those who cant. for me, i can see them at almost every screen that im on. and its not like i have my nose buried in the phone either. even at arms length it is clearly visible. i mean its been mentioned by almost every reviewer and its a known "feature" of pentile screen technology. honestly at this point i feel like im getting trolled by those saying that the screen is "fine" and that "the pixelation is not noticeable". maybe its just my handset, maybe some people really cant see it, maybe im half bird and have eagle eyes, maybe cucumbers taste better pickled. whatever the case is, i can definitely see it. however with all that said the screen really isnt a deal breaker for me, i really dont mind. but it just blows my mind that people can say with a straight face that there is nothing wrong with the screen.

What are you talking about? Pixelation is not noticeable. Haha, jk. In all seriousness, though, I do see the pixelation sometimes (not always), but it's really not a big deal for me. I have no other issues with the phone besides this, so I think the pros far outweigh the one con. I do understand that it might not for everyone, though.

billyk

Reaction score

I see it.
Just like I see that you can't see an Amoled screen in daylight. :)
So you pick what works best for you.

I don't view this as anything more than a characteristic of Pentile technology. I don't view it as something "wrong" or "defective".

Just make sure you own the phone that best fits your needs!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ok, round two of this discussion! Some people can live with the display and some cant. Crazy!

wingdo

Reaction score
When looking at the color blindness test, I can see how the screen may be perceived by someone with this issue. I would not be able to deal with that all day. However, as someone who doesn't suffer from color blindness, I can say with certainty that this is the best screen I have used on a phone (yes, I have friends with Super AMOLED+). Being able to actually read the screen outdoors in bright sunlight ...... priceless.

Master_Arbiter

Reaction score
As for if you'll get used to the screen, most likely you will stop seeing it, after some time has passed. Humans happen to be very adept at ignoring things that slightly bother them.

Lol...which is why we live the way we so.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums