DROID bionic. Best phone ever?

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Agreed. It feels more solid then my brothers Incredible and some of the other phones out there. But it's not on par with the OG DROID or DROIDX. Even the Pro feels better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I don't find the Droid X to have the solid feel my OG has, when cleaning the X screen you can actually push on the LCD behind the gorilla glass...with the OG this is not possible. Does the bionic suffer from this non-issue?

scdown

Reaction score
I think that comparing the Bionic to, say, the GSII, or the Epic Touch 4G, or the upcoming iPhone 5, is an interesting exercise at some level. I think it's fun to watch the pace at which this market evolves.

But in these near-religious debates about speeds and GPUs and build quality and which phone is best because it topped a benchmark list, I think we lose sight of one thing - the overall experience with that phone (and the carrier's service), and what you must do to get that experience?

Are you willing to switch to Sprint or AT&T or Verizon (their network AND customer service), just because the phone you saw had a 1.5GHz dual-core, where your carrier only sells a 1.0GHz dual-core? Are you willing to deal with ETFs, or do you have the fortunate timing of being at end of contract? Does your current phone behave in a way that makes you willing to make compromises on time or features, or can you hold out for better? Does switching phone brands put you into a phone skin that makes your own skin crawl, or will you tough it out for a custom ROM at some point down the road?

Where experience is concerned, I'd look to the forums for all of the phones and ask, "Is there any phone that doesn't have a significant number of people who've tried it and think it to be crap?" I think the answer would be no. They all will have issues with running hot, or crashing, or covers that fall off, or light leakage, or screen cracking, or loose headphone jacks, or whatever, in some percentage of owners.

So my question to you, then is, "What's your objective - Benchmarks and specs, or overall experience?"

I'll answer my own question - I decided, because my OG Droid was limping badly, that I wanted this year's CPU (some sort of dual-core), RAM (at least 1GB), and network (anything non-3G) on Verizon, so that in 20 months, I won't feel like my phone won't run anything without lagging. I decided that moving on was more important than holding out for a better screen, and fortunately, with my eyes the screen issue is not too bad. I will not call my Bionic perfect - I'm not blind to its flaws. But it has improved my overall experience over the OG Droid significantly.

YMMV. Void in the states of Denial and Wisconsin.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As for heat issues on the GSII variants, my original Droid get's very hot doing any of the things listed in those posts so far. GPS, watching streamed video, music for long periods.

On Sunday I kept the NFL redzone streaming for 30 minutes and it was hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, so far I see nothing unusual about the issues being brought up about the GSII and it's variants.

This is what we call, grasping for straws.

Unless my 2 year old OG is defective after all this time, I would say this kind of heat is the norm when stressing these small devices with powerful processors, big batteries and bright screens.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I can live with the screens shortcomings, I can live with it getting warm when I use it.

What i refuse to live with is when it drops the data connection and doesn't reconnect for hours unless I do something gyrations like hard reset and airplane-deplane mode it and what not.

Unacceptable. Makes it NOT the best phone by a long shot.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As for heat issues on the GSII variants, my original Droid get's very hot doing any of the things listed in those posts so far. GPS, watching streamed video, music for long periods.

On Sunday I kept the NFL redzone streaming for 30 minutes and it was hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, so far I see nothing unusual about the issues being brought up about the GSII and it's variants.

This is what we call, grasping for straws.

Unless my 2 year old OG is defective after all this time, I would say this kind of heat is the norm when stressing these small devices with powerful processors, big batteries and bright screens.

The question I dont know the answer to tho is does it have some fail safes for severe overheating? I know the OMAP does. I've seen some Cool Down service on recent Motorola phones. If thats grasping at straws...how about this?

Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch - Page 3 - Android Forums

Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch - Page 4 - Android Forums

"Galaxy S II is not recommended to drive directly sensitive in-ears because you’ll easily hear the CPU working. Fixing the CPU frequency to its maximum (rooted phones only) doesn’t prevent this annoying noise reminding us of cheap integrated audio codecs a dozen years ago. Admittedly, hiss and noise levels of Galaxy S II headphone output are a lot lower, but today’s standard mobile headphones reveal them easily.

If you’re using sensitive in-ear headphones, radio GSM / EDGE noise is as audible, indicating a probable hardware design flaw of the codec or the board. The culprit is poor EMI shielding."

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Galaxysii-cpu-edge-noise-volume1-volume0 by AnandTech on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Anandtech usually is the best for going very in depth with devices. That whole section about sound quailty...never paid attention to it until someone bought it up. I saw posts here n there about the Epic Touch, GS2 sound quality wasnt as good as some previous phone someone had....I just chalked it up to new phone issues. They stiil say they think its the best Android phone out today...but they still admit to the audio issues. There is no such thing as the best phone ever...sorry.

Last edited:

scdown

Reaction score
I can live with the screens shortcomings, I can live with it getting warm when I use it.

What i refuse to live with is when it drops the data connection and doesn't reconnect for hours unless I do something gyrations like hard reset and airplane-deplane mode it and what not.

Unacceptable. Makes it NOT the best phone by a long shot.

Absolutely unacceptable (Verizon actually had me do a factory reset on Monday), but is it the phone, or is it the chipset on all Verizon's LTE phones, or is it the network itself?

Dear Verizon: Your 4G Phones Have Data Connectivity Problems, And It’s Really Pissing Everyone Off

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't find the Droid X to have the solid feel my OG has, when cleaning the X screen you can actually push on the LCD behind the gorilla glass...with the OG this is not possible. Does the bionic suffer from this non-issue?

The bottom part of the screen for my Bionic isn't firmly down. If you apply slight pressure to it moves up and down

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The question I dont know the answer to tho is does it have some fail safes for severe overheating? I know the OMAP does. I've seen some Cool Down service on recent Motorola phones. If thats grasping at straws...how about this?

Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch - Page 4 - Android Forums

Galaxysii-cpu-edge-noise-volume1-volume0 by AnandTech on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Anandtech usually is the best for going very in depth with devices. That whole section about sound quailty...never paid attention to it until someone bought it up. I saw posts here n there about the Epic Touch, GS2 sound quality wasnt as good as some previous phone someone had....I just chalked it up to new phone issues. They stiil say they think its the best Android phone out today...but they still admit to the audio issues. There is no such thing as the best phone ever...sorry.

Have I said anything about "the best phone ever"?

No.

The Bionic's headphone jack has the high pitch hiss as well.

I was pointing out that heating issues plague all new smart phones, they have no active cooling, use dual core CPU's and when used continuously they will overheat.

scdown

Reaction score
I believe that, much in the same way that ultrasonic fences are used to keep your dog in the yard, the high-pitched whine is part of the mechanism by which the Bionic rules the other machines. Don't hear it on other phones? They're not out there ruling.

scdown

Reaction score
I believe that, much in the same way that ultrasonic fences are used to keep your dog in the yard, the high-pitched whine is part of the mechanism by which the Bionic rules the other machines. Don't hear it on other phones? They're not out there ruling.

I know for a fact that my laptop cut down on the backtalking when I set the Bionic on the desk.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The bottom part of the screen for my Bionic isn't firmly down. If you apply slight pressure to it moves up and down

That is not what I meant, I mean can you 'smear' the screen (lack of a better term) by applying pressure to the center of the glass? Like what happens when you press on an unprotected LCD screen.

On an OG Droid this is not possible, on a Droid X it is possible...was wanting to know if screen dimensions may be the cause. Larger screen equals more flexibility in the protective layer of glass I'm assuming.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
That is not what I meant, I mean can you 'smear' the screen (lack of a better term) by applying pressure to the center of the glass? Like what happens when you press on an unprotected LCD screen.

On an OG Droid this is not possible, on a Droid X it is possible...was wanting to know if screen dimensions may be the cause. Larger screen equals more flexibility in the protective layer of glass I'm assuming.

If press down hard enough it will on the bionic.