How many people have had to get another Bionic?

scdown

Reaction score
Im on #2 .. took to vzw last night because of the disapearing apps. Tried a factory system reset, said "Unmounting internal data" for an hour before they gave me a new one. And to the person who got theirs at costco and said that vzw would send a refurbed one, seems unlikely they would have many refurbed ones 10 days after launch...

I got past the "Unmounting internal data" problem on a reset by going into Task Manager and killing all apps. Then I reattempted the reset, and that message went away after about 30 seconds. Know it's too late since you replaced it, thought anyone else with that issue would benefit.

scdown

Reaction score
I agree, the OGD didn't have many issues at release, EXCEPT;

Many OG Droids suffered a defective (weak solder) headset jack...if you twisted or moved the jack at all you would hear static. Mine did, but I never switched it out.

I didn't have the headphone issue on the OG, but a friend did, had it replaced, no joy.

scdown

Reaction score
Nope.

There's nothing special or different between sync'ing to and processing a radio signal, no matter the frequency, for the first time when a phone starts up and acquires it, and when it has to switch from one band to another... it still has to sync to the radio signal. That's already engineered into the hardware.

If it is able to do it every startup, it should be able to do it every time it has to switch... unless that's a problem too, not acquiring the data signal at startup, but I've not heard anyone reporting that problem.

There's no magic going on there.

Ideally, I would think that you'd be able to keep both bands at least somewhat active, so that you can detect a service transition (3G to 4G and vice versa), and deal with it seamlessly. You're right, nothing magic about it.

Practically, I think that this is a battery killer with current chipsets, and so we stay with one band until it's not useful, and then search and reacquire. That leaves us with the time of transition, plus probably some period of degraded performance until the switch is made.

I really suspect it's all a firmware design compromise to allow the manufacturer to sell a phone with a specific battery life claim.

moetown

Reaction score
Forced to return it.

I had a launch day Bionic that I had a number of issues with. Not waking up from sleep, apps after being installed to SD card disappearing, no 3G for hours at a time, random phone reboots. I took it back to Costco, they called Verizon tech support who said all the issues were known problems. All issues were supposed to be fixed in some patch. My only recourse was to return it. Now I am bionic-less. Honestly if I would have just gotten a new phone I would have just walked away and still had my Bionic. I'm afraid to buy a new one....

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^There are bug free phones out there, unfortunately it may take a few tries to get one..

alucard9114

Reaction score
had black screen of death and high pitch audio in headphones on 2 phones returned it and am waiting for Prime.Will post back with my dodged the bullet with the Bionic thread and let you all know how much better the Prime and ice cream sandwich is.:popcorn:

Station

Reaction score
Not really a poll but I'm just curious to see who had to get another Bionic?

Mine works great except for the fact the touch screen goes haywire on its own sometime so I'm going to have to exchange it. So I'm on Bionic #1 but I will be on Bionic #2 soon.

This is the only issue I've been experiencing. Has anyone else had this? Arkbird, are you still having it?

sjmerlo

Reaction score
Bought mine on release day and no problems so far.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jakoviac

Reaction score
I'm on my second now. I replaced the first one because of the screen going blank randomly maybe 2-3 times a day. This one has been flawless though and I'm even more in love with this phone now than I was when I first picked it up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

foedawg

Reaction score
Sounds worse than Thunderbolt ooh boy

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

colema

Reaction score
Got mine on release day and no problems except the 3g to 4g and back thing, but even that doesn't happen all the time. I was in and out of 4g all day today with no issues.

duddy11

Reaction score
I agree, the OGD didn't have many issues at release, EXCEPT;

Many OG Droids suffered a defective (weak solder) headset jack...if you twisted or moved the jack at all you would hear static. Mine did, but I never switched it out.

I came from the Thunderbolt, and let me tell you, the Bionic is an awsome phone! There are some TINY issues with it, such as the dead pixel problem, but those are tiny issues. As for the connections being dropped, I have not lost a 4G connection yet. I have also experienced some apps mysteriously dissapearing, but that is still small compared to the trouble I had to put up with the Thunderbolt. This whole pwns, no arguing that! Can't wait to get an actual linux distro on the webtop part of the phone. That will make this phone kick ass just that much more!