DROID bionic. Best phone ever?

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I was thinking the Bionic was the best phone out there, until I ran into the connectivity problem that it has. Losing it's data connection and not getting it back for hours is a huge problem, making the phone worthless when it happens.

My D1 had better connectivity even if it was slow 3G, it was still faster than an unconnected 4GLTE device.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Cons:

• THE SCREEN::confused: OK heres the thing: If you can't see what is wrong with the screen, bless your soul and congratulations go buy a Bionic. LOL It's such a quirky thing. It's like looking at an attractive woman/man, acknowledging their beauty, then two seconds later you see them from another angle and you want to run away screaming. I've tried my best these past 11 days to come to terms with it, but with the knowledge that there may be something better around the corner, I just can't make that kind of commitment right now. Call me shallow. Whatever.
  • There's an issue with HDMI mirroring. I haven't tried this myself, I was actually about to go buy the cable but then I ran accross a thread in DF where they were taking about resolution issues with HDMI output and I thought it would be best to hold back on that for bit.
  • White noise: There is a bit of a hiss when ever the audio chip is active on the phone. You can't notice it during loud songs but whever there is silence you can hear it. This doesn't really bother me, kinda reminds me of the hiss from a record player. To be quite honest I think all audio devices have this hiss. Maybe some bionics are

Yeah, see...this is why I'm hesitating. That kind of thing should not happen with a phone selling for 300 American dollars. I'm also very particular about how things look, and I would notice that screen every single day. Those little tiny dots staring back at me when I'm checking my battery. pixels of doom.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Maybe if I get another one I'll have a better outlook on it.

I love the performance. It's super fast and what not, but I have a HUGE issue with build quality on the Bionic. IMO it awful and is no where near Moto standards. I'm also experiencing the lost data issue and it's starting to bug the crap out of me.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score

I love the performance. It's super fast and what not, but I have a HUGE issue with build quality on the Bionic. IMO it awful and is no where near Moto standards. I'm also experiencing the lost data issue and it's starting to bug the crap out of me.

wow.. totally disagree.. IMO the build quality of the Bionic is top notch. if you're having issues with yours I suggest you get it swapped out before your 14 days is up.

chuckz28

Reaction score
Too bad the SGSII is basically catching fire. Maybe when Samsung gets a patch out to control the overheating we can talk about it again. For now though the SGSII is out of the discussion. Overheating to that degree is a fatal flaw.

There hasn't been one person on android central with that problem. The closest I could get to being considered even warm, much less hot, was doing MHL out to my TV, with the charger on, and streaming Netflix. My moto Droid got much hotter being in the car dock doing navigation. Wife's hasn't ever even gotten warm to the touch either.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Uh, you do realize that the Epic 4G Touch IS the Sprint version of the SGSII, right?

Yes, but I am talking about the GS2 that was released in Europe in April. Since someone said the Epic is worse than the Bionic because it overheats, I said the other GS2, which is the worlds best phone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
wow.. totally disagree.. IMO the build quality of the Bionic is top notch. if you're having issues with yours I suggest you get it swapped out before your 14 days is up.

Looking into it (didn't get it at vzw). I still want to feel another one. See if I just have high standards or have a bad one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
There hasn't been one person on android central with that problem. The closest I could get to being considered even warm, much less hot, was doing MHL out to my TV, with the charger on, and streaming Netflix. My moto Droid got much hotter being in the car dock doing navigation. Wife's hasn't ever even gotten warm to the touch either.

Right not one person on andr.... oh, wait.

Phone Gets Warm? - Android Forums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, this thread is "heating" up.

Yes, the Bionic is the best phone right now on Verizon. Arguments can be made for it being the best phone period, but there's no question that honor goes to the GSII for the time being. Heat issues with the GSII are few and far in between, just like the issues with the Bionic.

Strict hardware/performance comparison between the two will show the GSII outclassing the Bionic in nearly every way. The only thing better about the Bionic is the screen readability in direct sunlight. Unfortunately, the screen is a double edged sword as we all know. Some can live with the pixelation, some don't see it and some deny its existance because they know they should have waited for something better.

scdown

Reaction score

I'm fine with the build quality, personally - I think it's on par or a little better than other phones... However, if you've owned an OG Droid for a couple of years, I think it's hard to get used to an all-plastic body again...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, this thread is "heating" up.

Yes, the Bionic is the best phone right now on Verizon. Arguments can be made for it being the best phone period, but there's no question that honor goes to the GSII for the time being. Heat issues with the GSII are few and far in between, just like the issues with the Bionic.

If the Bionic can be considered the best phone on Verizon right now, how can the best phone period be the GS2? lol. Even stacking them against each other they both have pros n cons. For any phone to be the best period....it would have no cons or so few cons one could say its the absolute best. Like the D3 owner that chimed in, folks that want a phone with a physical keyboard might not think the GS2 or Bionic are that great. T Mo thought the Exynos chip wasnt good enough for their HSPA+ customers so they wanted their GS2 to have the Snapdragon. That shows even some ppl think the Exynos isnt the best overall chip.

Strict hardware/performance comparison between the two will show the GSII outclassing the Bionic in nearly every way. The only thing better about the Bionic is the screen readability in direct sunlight. Unfortunately, the screen is a double edged sword as we all know. Some can live with the pixelation, some don't see it and some deny its existance because they know they should have waited for something better.

On performance, benchmarks, yea...it outclasses it, but thats it. For any phone to be the absolute best....wouldnt you have to be able to see the screen in any conditions? Wouldnt it have access to the faster, fastest network speeds? What about LTE, LTE performance of the GS2 in weak reception areas? What about phone reception in weak reception areas? There is no absolute best anything...its impossible for anything to be the absolute best. Yea for what reviewers review the phone for they can make the claim its the best...to them. Some ppl mention that any phone coming out now that isnt LTE capable, if the carrier has an LTE network, is a fail. There goes the theory that the GS2 is the best phone period.

We have to recognize the cons of these devices too, ya know? Some of us suggesting any phone the best phone ever needs to really do some lurking in the phone's forum sections. I have yet to see the perfect phone made. Best ever to you, for you? Great. Best ever, period...hmmm...lol

Support Device is heating up very fast - Android Forums
Tips Huge (recall-worthy) problem with the usb port. If you're having the "car mode" problem, look here! - Android Forums
Galaxy S II very hot - xda-developers

Thats for the international GS2, not the Epic Touch. The heat issue has been talked about since June of this year. I dont think I have to pull up the cons for the Bionic...lol. I'm sure by now most of us pretty much know ALL the cons of the Bionic...:D

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm fine with the build quality, personally - I think it's on par or a little better than other phones... However, if you've owned an OG Droid for a couple of years, I think it's hard to get used to an all-plastic body again...

Agreed. It feels more solid then my brothers Incredible and some of the other phones out there. But it's not on par with the OG DROID or DROIDX. Even the Pro feels better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums