Phone Debate: Droid Bionic or HTC Thunderbolt

snipethepipe7

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been following along with the newest Android smartphones and have been debating what my next phone should be. Currently I have a Motorola Droid and I like it a lot but it is very slow and has grown old on me.

The two phones I have researched on is the HTC Thunderbolt and the Motorola Droid Bionic. I am curious if I should go with the HTC Thunderbolt or wait for the Droid Bionic.

I also am aware of the technical specs like the dual-core processor and the 528 mb of RAM on the Bionic (which I am not sure means.)

Suuperflie

Reaction score
There are multiple threads about this very topic. I'd suggest read those first.

RPA-DROID

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been following along with the newest Android smartphones and have been debating what my next phone should be. Currently I have a Motorola Droid and I like it a lot but it is very slow and has grown old on me.

The two phones I have researched on is the HTC Thunderbolt and the Motorola Droid Bionic. I am curious if I should go with the HTC Thunderbolt or wait for the Droid Bionic.

I also am aware of the technical specs like the dual-core processor and the 528 mb of RAM on the Bionic (which I am not sure means.)

I will say that I sent mine back after 2 days - the battery life was horrible (worse than my DInc which is pretty bad seeings how I have to charge it after 6 hours or so....) I'm hoping that a Motorola device will have better battery life but maybe I'm just being "foolish" :)

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
I love my tb and I have gotten up to 27 hours of use. I am not in a 4G area which is a major help on battery life. I have been in a 4G coverage area and can't say I'm too impressed with the speed over 3g yes it is faster but 3g is pretty quick on this phone too. Also there are apps to put it in 3g only if you know your coverage area is useful to keep from killing the battery searching for a 4G or 3g signal. That is a small issue to me and with 4G not being as widespread as 3g if you get the thunderbolt it should be more from a specs angle not a 4G one. The fact is this phone has been overclocked to out perform the xoom the capabilities are endless and are only just getting started. If you know what you are doing battery is not an issue. All those who had battery issues spareparts is your answer I think its the most under rated app and you don't need root to benefit from it. I made my choice based on being able to root or possibly never have full root if root doesn't matter to you then I would say its a tough choice. If you think battery life on a dual core is gonna be much better than thunderbolt then good luck with that lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
gonna be hard do get that bionic with it being scrapped and all lol.... HTC all the way

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been in a 4G coverage area and can't say I'm too impressed with the speed over 3g yes it is faster but 3g is pretty quick on this phone too.
that tells me you haven't been in 4g LTE area because you can't compare the two. It's like going from dial up to high speed broadband.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

Suuperflie

Reaction score
gonna be hard do get that bionic with it being scrapped and all lol.... HTC all the way

The rep I talked to on the phone today said he was trained on the Bionic a couple weeks ago, but didn't have any other info of course.

damewolf13

Reaction score
Yah, I wish that Motorola and VZW would just tell us if it is really a no go.
If we knew for sure, we could start making other plans for our next phone.:dry:

Droid101

Reaction score
Yah, I wish that Motorola and VZW would just tell us if it is really a no go.
If we knew for sure, we could start making other plans for our next phone.:dry:

Agreed. At this point If the bionic doesn't show i dont know what to try. LG Revolution there isn't really much from LG in android on their track record that I have heard of so not sure with them

Samsung Charge isn't bad but with the 300 dollar price tag and the fact that samsung doesn't have the best update track record(although they do seem to have gotten a bit better with keeping their phones unlocked and releasing 2.2 source for the fascinate before it goes OTA and releasing the charge system dump so that is something making me think samsung is having a change of pace).

HTC Thunderbolt isn't bad either but with the battery life a issue I dont want to get a phone that gets worse than my OG Droid I would like a phone that gets the same if not better.

Those are the only 4G phones coming out anytime soon. I really dont want a 3G phone seeing how 4G is the future and my city is getting 4G this year:biggrin:

On a side note too dual core would be nice just because it ensures that my phone isn't very obsolete as soon as I buy it but I have heard the single cores still arnt bad so no dual core isnt a big deal breaker for me.

Thats where I am in this if anyone has an opinion on this to help me out id appreciate it!:)

rage151

Reaction score
I bought the TB on launch day and returned it a week later. Really didn't like it and wanted the Bionic. Then...I learned that 1yr contracts were going away and I had to factor tiered data into the equation. News that the Bionic was scrapped then fell outta nowhere.

I decided to get the TB on 4/16 to lock in one last 1yr contract (this is my 8th consecutive annual contract with VZW) and get the unlimited 4g data package before it changes to tiered.

This TB is much better than the first one, but I just don't care for HTC stuff. The notification light only blinks for 5mins if you get a message! If I knew that the Bionic was coming out sometime in June, I would go back to my OG Droid and get ready to sign a 2yr contract. Just wish I knew when tiered data will become effective.

My advice, if you don't mind waiting, is hold out for the Bionic. Sure the TB is easy to root, but if you crank it up to 2500mhz it will not make a tremendous difference because the memory bottlenecks it. The Bionic's memory is newer so it will not bottleneck as much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I have a Thunderbolt and love it and the battery life. Honestly, just don't watch the battery percentages for a day and see how it lasts! The percentages aren't super accurate and drop the fastest in the first 30 percent making people think their battery is dieing fast. My battery life (with 4G) is on par with my d1 running gingerbread. I would say that with the newly leaked radio, that has even improved! The bionic is having one delay after another. People are badmouthing the tb for It's delays, but those are nothing compared to the bionic. I love the phone and wouldn't do well with an encrypted bootloader. With the thunderbolt, there is a development community like there was on the d1. It will never be that big on a MOTO device again so long as they keep locking them down...just my 2 cents.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

Xak02

Reaction score
This device is looking more enticing to those waiting to upgrade but can't go to Bionic because of its constant/rumored delays.

I'm really hoping that's all just BS though and that it comes out the 28 or early in May. I can't say I want to get a TB, but want to wait for S2 or Targ even less.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
I have been in a 4G coverage area and can't say I'm too impressed with the speed over 3g yes it is faster but 3g is pretty quick on this phone too.
that tells me you haven't been in 4g LTE area because you can't compare the two. It's like going from dial up to high speed broadband.

Lol uh what..why would I lie 4G was in my status bar so not sure what that says to you. Fake 4G lol

rage151

Reaction score

Lol uh what..why would I lie 4G was in my status bar so not sure what that says to you. Fake 4G lol

Not saying your statement is incorrect, but have you seen any reports, anywhere, saying that VZW's 4g LTE is slow...even comparable to 3g? It's well publicized to be the fastest data network in the US.

What you're saying just conflicts with everything we've read, experienced, and heard.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Covington

Reaction score
This device is looking more enticing to those waiting to upgrade but can't go to Bionic because of its constant/rumored delays.

I'm really hoping that's all just BS though and that it comes out the 28 or early in May. I can't say I want to get a TB, but want to wait for S2 or Targ even less.

Unfortunately, it can't be the 28th now, because Verizon trains the reps 2 weeks before the phones release and all the rep I've spoken to here in my city say they haven't had training. They only say they've had training on the Droid Incredible 2 :icon_ cry: