36 Hours With The Bionic

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well this is my second time writing this message - my computer decided to re-boot in the middle of the first - lol.

Speed - Fast as fast can be. Uber fast. Amazingly fast. Apps load instantly. Browsing is instant. I've streamed media from my computer to the Bionic and it's terrific. I've played Netflix and things load fast. For those who want a faster phone there is no need - you won't notice any speed that is faster than the Bionic - it's almost instant on everything.

Screen - I read so my stuff about the Pentile that I was ready to really look at it hard. So far I'm very satisfied with it. Is it the best? No. Is it so good that you won't really notice it after a day? Yes. It's just like buying a TV - you can see a million in the store that all look different but if you buy a good one you never will notice. I'm happy with it and the power consumption is tiny. Battery - Very Good. I did have it plugged in 2 hours ago so it reset the stats but over the last two hours I've played video's, looked at live weather radar, emailed, talked on the phone and these are the stats..2 Hour 35 Minutes at 60% now (don't remember where it was when it started - probably 70%) Screeble Lite 85%, Cell Standby 6%, Voice Calls - 3%, Phone Idle 3%, Display 2%. That's it. This phone really uses the battery well - having Screeble being the #1 is unheard of and the Screen which has been on for at least 45 minutes at 2%? WOW. Form - Love the way it looks. It's shockingly light. It feels very nice in the hand and I like the feel of the back when holding it. I don't notice the hump at all. It's very sharp looking phone.

Calls - Very clear. Better than my OG Droid. They could be louder but they are good enough. I love the Motoblur widget that lets me have my favorite contacts at the top - I'd have paid for it. Bloatware - It's annoying but at the same time there is so much memory who cares.

Sound - Wasn't impressed over the OG Droid until I found the setting to increase the Bass. Now it sounds FANTASTIC. Should have come out of the box this way.

Complaints :

1) Apparently there is no way to put up picture frames of my kids like I had with the Picture Frame widget from the OG Droid. That's real annoying.

2) Memory. It uses 8 Gig out of the box. Then you have three places where things are stored. The phone, sd-ext, and sd. Don't even ask me to tell you where to put things. I will tell you NOT to use AppsToSd because it will put them in the wrong place and your apps will vanish.

3) Setup - Took too long to re-set up my mail and music. Standard probably with any phone but it was annoying. Overall - Love it. Keeping it and not looking back.

4) Dock - The clock/Alarm stinks compared to my OG Droid and it's WAY too bright.

Last edited:

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
SSH,

With all due respect, PLEASE break it into paragraphs.
I hate trying to read through a wall of text like that... and I would like to read your review.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Well this is my second time writing this message - my computer decided to re-boot in the middle of the first - lol. Speed - Fast as fast can be. Uber fast. Amazingly fast. Apps load instantly. Browsing is instant. I've streamed media from my computer to the Bionic and it's terrific. I've played Netflix and things load fast. For those who want a faster phone there is no need - you won't notice any speed that is faster than the Bionic - it's almost instant on everything. Screen - I read so my stuff about the Pentile that I was ready to really look at it hard. So far I'm very satisfied with it. Is it the best? No. Is it so good that you won't really notice it after a day? Yes. It's just like buying a TV - you can see a million in the store that all look different but if you buy a good one you never will notice. I'm happy with it and the power consumption is tiny. Battery - Very Good. I did have it plugged in 2 hours ago so it reset the stats but over the last two hours I've played video's, looked at live weather radar, emailed, talked on the phone and these are the stats..2 Hour 35 Minutes at 60% now (don't remember where it was when it started - probably 70%) Screeble Lite 85%, Cell Standby 6%, Voice Calls - 3%, Phone Idle 3%, Display 2%. That's it. This phone really uses the battery well - having Screeble being the #1 is unheard of and the Screen which has been on for at least 45 minutes at 2%? WOW. Form - Love the way it looks. It's shockingly light. It feels very nice in the hand and I like the feel of the back when holding it. I don't notice the hump at all. It's very sharp looking phone. Calls - Very clear. Better than my OG Droid. They could be louder but they are good enough. I love the Motoblur widget that lets me have my favorite contacts at the top - I'd have paid for it. Bloatware - It's annoying but at the same time there is so much memory who cares. Sound - Wasn't impressed over the OG Droid until I found the setting to increase the Bass. Now it sounds FANTASTIC. Should have come out of the box this way. Complaints : 1) Apparently there is no way to put up picture frames of my kids like I had with the Picture Frame widget from the OG Droid. That's real annoying. 2) Memory. It uses 8 Gig out of the box. Then you have three places where things are stored. The phone, sd-ext, and sd. Don't even ask me to tell you where to put things. I will tell you NOT to use AppsToSd because it will put them in the wrong place and your apps will vanish. 3) Setup - Took too long to re-set up my mail and music. Standard probably with any phone but it was annoying. Overall - Love it. Keeping it and not looking back.

Agree with all of his positives ^^^. 1. I never used it, so no biggie for me. 2. What's up with that anyway? I actually got the message that my memory was full while installing the 4th app. Once I installed (and this will be my responce to 3) App 2 SD Pro from Amazon Appstore, I was able to move the apps and free up space. Now I've got 3Gs free on my phone memory with no further issues.

By the way, If you don't have Amazon's Appstore, go get it! They give away a paid app a day. That's where I got App 2 SD Pro and it works great.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the phone. Fastest phone ever.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Agree with all of his positives ^^^. 1. I never used it, so no biggie for me. 2. What's up with that anyway? I actually got the message that my memory was full while installing the 4th app. Once I installed (and this will be my responce to 3) App 2 SD Pro from Amazon Appstore, I was able to move the apps and free up space. Now I've got 3Gs free on my phone memory with no further issues.

By the way, If you don't have Amazon's Appstore, go get it! They give away a paid app a day. That's where I got App 2 SD Pro and it works great.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the phone. Fastest phone ever.

Yea I got some errors installing apps, disk full, I tried again and it worked.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I thought I would share that my phone has been off the charger for almost 14 hours. I've watched a video, played some games, surfed, called, texted, etc. All on 4G. And i still have 50% left on my battery. No, it's not extended.

dancedroid

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry it was in paragraphs when I posted it. Computer problems all night. I think it's fixed:blink:

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
great review.
I've only had mine since this afternoon so I'll hold most of my thoughts until I have a bit more time with it.

One thing I will say is LTE is FAST.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
LTE is blazing. Someone just told me how to fix my Dock issue. If it works I'm happy. Just need to find a picture frame widget.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
somebody just suggested 3DGallery from the market.
going to check it out once my phone finishes charging.. which with any luck will be in 30 mins or so

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I do think there has got to be something wrong with the battery stats. I'm getting single digit percentages of battery use from the screen when its been on a lot. There's no way the screen can be that efficient. I mean when you think about it if most of the power is used from standby then the phone should last for days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just disabled Screeble. It was taking most of the resources. Let's see if the other numbers go up now.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just installed it. It's the same as the one I was using with the OG Droid. Terrific. The Gallery that comes with the Bionic is terrible.

somebody just suggested 3DGallery from the market.
going to check it out once my phone finishes charging.. which with any luck will be in 30 mins or so

lazarus2297

Reaction score
The Gallery that comes with the Bionic is terrible.

I will agree with you on that one.. I just copied the 3Dgallery.apk off my OG droid and placed into the system folder and installed it on my bionic, and it works like a champ.

I will disagree with the OP in one aspect though.. The screen.. It really bugs me that "screen door" affect is very noticable to me and the colors are just... well off..., but the good thing is if the screen is good enough for YOU then that's what matters, b/c you are the one using it LOL

I also think the camera takes pics waaaayyyy toooo sllloooowww... and they aren't really sharp although i will do an outside good lighting test tomorrow. but i do know so far inside with or without flash the camera IMHO is pretty horrible..

Honestly I am gonna take my 14 days to see if this is worth a two year contract for me..

**edit**
oh one small nit picky thing from me... I wish they would have kept the raised type ear piece that is used on the D3... for once the ear piece wasn't a dust trap... but alas they went back to the recessed earpiece/dust trap.. :frown:

Last edited: