FINALLY! GSM on DROID 4!!! IT WORKS!

Big D

Reaction score
Still unclear to me. Do I need to get a European sim card if I am travelling from the US to UK/France?

I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this and I'm looking for 3rd grade level explanation.

Thanks guys.

Germanguy

Reaction score
Still unclear to me. Do I need to get a European sim card if I am travelling from the US to UK/France?

I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this and I'm looking for 3rd grade level explanation.

Thanks guys.
Yes, you need a foreign SIM. Just get it locally when you get there. Planning to pick up a SIM myself in Europe in a couple of months; should be able to find some neat deals, like unlimited data for the first month. Just stop in at a store of one of the major network providers in that country and they should be able to help you get set up.

eatsleeplaxsoccer3

Reaction score
works right out of the box, no modding/ hacking required after installing ICS. Simply installing ICS unlocks the GSM band. There's an option to manually switch between CDMA and GSM modes in settings > more > Mobile networks > Preferred network mode, but mine was on global and connected right away after boot.

Only extra step is to manually add APN

I have been reading through the forums and so far no one in the states could get GSM working. I suspect Verizon blacklisted the gsm networks.

Check this thread for ICS upgrading instructions

I had my oem motorola recovery disabled after updating (probably botched up a step) so YMMV
Ah, I did not realize ICS made the patch unneccesary, I thought it just fixed thew 3G problem. that is very nice

eatsleeplaxsoccer3

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this thread.

I went straight to installing ICS (which is awesome even without the GSM aspect) and it went well.
But I have tried two different SIM cards (a roaming Sprint card and a local Vodafone NL card) and only get calls and texts to work, no data.
This may be because the SIMs are coming from BlackBerries, and maybe the plans only allow data for BlackBerries? both sims worked in their respective blackberries here.

Update: I tried a third SIM card, a T-Mobile roaming card. and it worked, 3G and HSPA.
NOTE: this was a T-Mobile, US card that worked, but I am in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Nurotic

Reaction score
Is T-Mobile US 3G or HSPA DATA enabled now?

Thank you very much for this thread.

I went straight to installing ICS (which is awesome even without the GSM aspect) and it went well.
But I have tried two different SIM cards (a roaming Sprint card and a local Vodafone NL card) and only get calls and texts to work, no data.
This may be because the SIMs are coming from BlackBerries, and maybe the plans only allow data for BlackBerries? both sims worked in their respective blackberries here.

Update: I tried a third SIM card, a T-Mobile roaming card. and it worked, 3G and HSPA.
NOTE: this was a T-Mobile, US card that worked, but I am in the Netherlands.

So if you were to travel from the Netherlands to the US with your current phone as it is now, would 3G and HSPA work on T-Mobile's network?

eatsleeplaxsoccer3

Reaction score
So if you were to travel from the Netherlands to the US with your current phone as it is now, would 3G and HSPA work on T-Mobile's network?
yes it is working with data now, even hspa here, pretty fast.
but roaming data is not great, ideally i'll get this to work with my local vodafone nl card.
i couldnt say. it may only be working with a t mobile card here because no actual tmobile Us towers are here. im not goingt back to the states any time soon so i cant test it

Last edited:

Germanguy

Reaction score
The Droid 4 seems to be blocking access to GSM US carriers (T-Mobile and ATT). I have 2 foreign SIM cards and neither allows me to access either GSM network here in the US

eraser310

Reaction score
Will this process work on the Droid Razr? (Not using the radio patch)

eraser310

Reaction score
The problem is that the stock droid razr ics rom has no option for PC Mode (or a mode without USB storage).