Droid 4 Utility Updated

Anyonenormal

Reaction score
Question...
If I ended up bricking my phone because I accidentally clicked on the wrong restore file (my GB file, and not my preROM file), but was able to unbrick my phone... how do I get Safestrap 2.00 on my phone again? It still boots the old version of safestrap, but trying to use the utility every option says cannot find the files specified.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Question...
If I ended up bricking my phone because I accidentally clicked on the wrong restore file (my GB file, and not my preROM file), but was able to unbrick my phone... how do I get Safestrap 2.00 on my phone again? It still boots the old version of safestrap, but trying to use the utility every option says cannot find the files specified.

I am not sure if i fully understand what your describing. If you are on a ICS leak then you should have safestrap 2.0 not the older version it only worked on GB. For the tool to work the correct "file" must be in the "files" folder. So what is your phone running now? Is it just the ICS or a rom too?

Anyonenormal

Reaction score
I am not sure if i fully understand what your describing. If you are on a ICS leak then you should have safestrap 2.0 not the older version it only worked on GB. For the tool to work the correct "file" must be in the "files" folder. So what is your phone running now? Is it just the ICS or a rom too?

I rooted my phone, then upgraded to ics. From ics I re rooted my phone. Saw a rom that I was interested in trying. Flashed it and ran the rom. After a couple days decided that I didn't like the rom. Disabled safety mode and tried to reboot. All I got was a blank screen for about an hour instead of ics booting up. Tried it a couple more times but nothing worked. Tried to recover my system and tried to boot a recovery save file so I could go back to how my phone was before I installed the rom. I had two recovery files and accidentally clicked the one I made before switching to ics. When my phone booted, it was completely frozen, and didn't boot past the red motorola sign. I messed around with it a bit and get my phone to boot safestrap. When loading it pulled up safestrap 1.06 (or whatever the.gb version was) I was finally able to reboot my phone by flashing the cm9 mod, and now its back on ics. My menu option and search when safestrap loads is sometimes unresponsive. I want to add 2.0 back so I can take the rom off and get back to stock ics.

Anyonenormal

Reaction score
Whenever I to the utility, (the old one you had) it says files not found.. even though I had everything correct, or else Iwouldnt have been able to make the switch to ics and root my phone. So I downloaded the new utility, and added the files to the folder, and that still wasn't able to push for me. I tried other options like voodoo rootkeeper, but that wouldn't load either. Do I need to do terminal emulator and force it to install?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Are you sure debugging is on? The safestrap.apk is in the files folder, but with the stuff you have done i am not sure of the best course to fix.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

crzayalex

Reaction score
Hey I am currently on 206 and want to jump to 213 because no matter what I do I cannot get my market to install apps. I put all the files at the right place but when I run option 16 of the tool it says error: cannot load 'files\allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin'.
What is wrong?? Please help!

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Did you unzip the GB files? It will not worked if zipped up still.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

crzayalex

Reaction score
Yeah I unzipped and put the file with the name of VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml into the files folder

nvm figured it out. thanks for the help!

Last edited:

icebear

Reaction score
i think i just bricked my self tried to go from .213 to .215 i did what the guide said to do http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1714596

made sure i had the GB 219 Fastboot files, the special boot.img for 2.15 i got from droid forums and the update for it. followed the guide and did step 16 and it did all its things and then when i tried to flash the update for .215 it just fails (says signature verification failed) and wont boot past the M logo and my phone will not shut off (it just restarts it self when i try to force it off) and i am really scared now because there is no way i can shut it off

Last edited:
OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
any chance of updating the files for .215?

Will try to work on that some today, still have my real job to do!

i think i just bricked my self tried to go from .213 to .215 i did what the guide said to do http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1714596

made sure i had the GB 219 Fastboot files, the special boot.img for 2.15 i got from droid forums and the update for it. followed the guide and did step 16 and it did all its things and then when i tried to flash the update for .215 it just fails (says signature verification failed) and wont boot past the M logo and my phone will not shut off (it just restarts it self when i try to force it off) and i am really scared now because there is no way i can shut it off

You can always run it again. Were you sure to rename the 215 boot.img to "ICSFIX"? The tool will only flash it under that name. It is the last step after the GB files flash under menu 16. It should reboot then run trying to update, when the red moto logo appears force the power down, goto recovery and flash the 215 update file. Not sure what state your phone was in before you tried the update. You may need to wipe your data for it to work properly. You can do it from recovery. I will probably add in that option when jumping from leak to leak for anyone who want to wipe it out in one step.

Last edited:

icebear

Reaction score
redid the whole thing and this is what i did. i redownloaded the Fastboot .219 GB and unziped it in the Files folder, then i downloaded that .215 boot.img and renamed it to ICSFIX and i redownloaded the .215 Leak and unziped it to my SD card (i also tried doing it with out unziping it and i got the Error signature verification failed) then ran the tool and did option 16, it went through all it's stuff and most of it said failed. well i let the little android guy come up and did its thing and i waited until the red M logo came up and forced it to shut down and then went into the bootloader and went to recovery and flashed the .215 and NOW i get this

apply_patch_check (MTD:boot:and a **** ton of numbers) and then after that it list (E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip status 7

just tried it again and i did a factory reset and redid the whole thing and NOW when i flash the update from recovery it says assert failed:mount (ext3.MIU.system."/system" error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip

Last edited:
OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The 215 update file on your sdcard has to be a zip, it is signed by moto. Otherwise I can't see why you would have any trouble. If you unzipped the 215 update and then rezipped it that would cause an error. I have head some report that it failed the first time but worked the second. You can also try wiping the cache from stock recovery. I haven't heard of it being a problem on the D4 but it was a big issue on the Razrs when flashing the update.

icebear

Reaction score
yea that is why i redownloaded everything just to double check my self and i tried doing the leak from this https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3134a60b52794490&resid=3134A60B52794490!860&id=3134A60B52794490!860 i downloaded that .zip file and then just threw that in my SD card and then i extracted the fastboot .219 GB files into the File folder for the tool and then after that i took the .215 img from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwl0e6jx767aksb/boot-6-16-215.img and then rename it to ICSFIX and threw that in the file folder and ran the tool and everything came out as failed pretty much but it did its little android update thing and then when the Red logo came up i forced restart it and went into recovery and flashed that leak and that is where i am stuck at i did this 13times and still no go