FINALLY! GSM on DROID 4!!! IT WORKS!

instinct

Reaction score
Ok, So I just wanted to be clear. I have a friend that has a VZW Droid 4 and wants to switch to T-Mobile. He has already done an OTA update for ICS. Is it possible to switch to T-Mobile? I thought maybe it wasn't at first because the OP said that you needed to be on Gingerbread and then update to the ICS rom, but it looked like after reading more posts, you just needed to be on ICS. So this phone actually have GSM capabilities? Cool.

badguy6916

Reaction score
If i am not mistaken, without a replacement radio from a capable rom from outside verizon it is not possible to use this phone on a domestic gsm carrier. verizon has blocked the capabilities to access US gsm networks, and without edits, which i do not know of any for ICS, you can not unblock the frequencies on the radio. It's sad really, but it's their way of attempting to keep customers. I know we had the same problem on the droid 3, and the only saving grace was a chineese or korean (some asian country's) radio that was flashable. if i am wrong please, feel free to correct me, just throwing in my background to try and help others.

heymon79

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.
I am a bit of an imbecile when it comes to this kinda stuff... ICS, GSM, LTE etc are things I don't understand.
Here is my question:

I live in Canada with Rogers as my service provider. The Motorola Photon Q was my first choice phone, but it has a built in SIM card so cannot be used with service providers other than Sprint. So with that phone off the list, I want the Droid4. Can I just purchase it, put in my Rogers SIM card and use it? Do I need to do anything else and will I be able to use the phone to it's full capacity (no data blocks etc)? Will I be billed fees and do I have to sign up with a service provided (Verizon) to purchase the phone.

Sorry, again, I'm an idiot about this stuff!
Thank you!

jeff24216

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.
I am a bit of an imbecile when it comes to this kinda stuff... ICS, GSM, LTE etc are things I don't understand.
Here is my question:

I live in Canada with Rogers as my service provider. The Motorola Photon Q was my first choice phone, but it has a built in SIM card so cannot be used with service providers other than Sprint. So with that phone off the list, I want the Droid4. Can I just purchase it, put in my Rogers SIM card and use it? Do I need to do anything else and will I be able to use the phone to it's full capacity (no data blocks etc)? Will I be billed fees and do I have to sign up with a service provided (Verizon) to purchase the phone.

Sorry, again, I'm an idiot about this stuff!
Thank you!

I don't know about the Droid 4, I have the Droid Bionic and Verizon Wireless rates are outraegous. I was able to root the phone and did some tweaking and got a SIM for AT&T on GSM and it works! It doesnt seem to have as good signal strength that my iphone had so I am still looking into that.

badguy6916

Reaction score
I don't know about the Droid 4, I have the Droid Bionic and Verizon Wireless rates are outraegous. I was able to root the phone and did some tweaking and got a SIM for AT&T on GSM and it works! It doesnt seem to have as good signal strength that my iphone had so I am still looking into that.

Can you pass on these tweaks that you did? also, look into Cyanogenmod 10 for the Bionic. It has the tweaks built in to fix the signal strength issues. Theres a setting in the Build.prop (i believe) that changes the signal reading for GSM. It was made into a menu option in CM10.

jeff24216

Reaction score
Thanks!

Can you pass on these tweaks that you did? also, look into Cyanogenmod 10 for the Bionic. It has the tweaks built in to fix the signal strength issues. Theres a setting in the Build.prop (i believe) that changes the signal reading for GSM. It was made into a menu option in CM10.

I'll check it out! I know the SIM I had in my iphone worked on GSM out here but I have no service whatsoever on the droid out here, not until I get into town anyway.

So here is how I got my Droid to work on GSM, Im waiting for the straighttalk SIM but figured out how to add APN settings to

The Droid:Bionic can do CMDA/4LTE and GSM/HSPA+ [IMAGE INTENSIVE] - Droid Bionic - RootzWiki

Once you complete these steps go to the phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
Go to phone information, scroll to 'Set preferred network type' and select either GSM preferred or WCDMA preferred (this one would probably work best).

You should get a signal on GSM now, so to get the right APN settings for MMS and web to work heres how to add apn settings

Go to phone dialer and dial '##program', hit send or call. The password is 6 '0's. (EX 000000)

Go to option 13 for APN settings, select APN Config Edit

From here you should have the option to add new APN's

instinct

Reaction score
I'll check it out! I know the SIM I had in my iphone worked on GSM out here but I have no service whatsoever on the droid out here, not until I get into town anyway.

So here is how I got my Droid to work on GSM, Im waiting for the straighttalk SIM but figured out how to add APN settings to

The Droid:Bionic can do CMDA/4LTE and GSM/HSPA+ [IMAGE INTENSIVE] - Droid Bionic - RootzWiki

Once you complete these steps go to the phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
Go to phone information, scroll to 'Set preferred network type' and select either GSM preferred or WCDMA preferred (this one would probably work best).

You should get a signal on GSM now, so to get the right APN settings for MMS and web to work heres how to add apn settings

Go to phone dialer and dial '##program', hit send or call. The password is 6 '0's. (EX 000000)

Go to option 13 for APN settings, select APN Config Edit

From here you should have the option to add new APN's

So, my question remains if it's possible to do this once upgraded to ICS, if not, is it possible to downgrade back to GB through a Rom and re-do it that way?

pm2gonzales

Reaction score
I just got this phone, I'm on Rogers Canada network, I have a GSM signal and it shows the connection and network I'm connected to as well as phone number. I can send text messages, but I can't receive them. Although sometimes, takes like 15min or longer and then I get them. I can make phone calls, but I cannot receive them. Anyone go through a similar situation and have a remedy?

Also, I'm on ICS 4.04, .217, running Eclipse ROM. Although I had the same issue on stock ICS. To give more detail, when I call my phone from the house phone, there is like 20 seconds of nothing and then it goes to voice mail.

NAHID

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT875
Bro please help me, i did update jellybean 4.1 my Motorola XT875 mobile but I want to back now Previous Gingerbean 2.3.3 version.
How can back Gingerbean 2.3.3 version. on my mobile.. please help me...
or Email Me: [email protected]
please help me.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Motorola Droid 4 XT894, It has JellyBean installed onto it.
When i purchased it it was un locked by the seller to run both GSM and CDMA SIM cards(in INDIA) out of it.

when i received the phone i saw that it had some photographs in it and a few apps already installed, As this was an open box purchase i assumed that the sellers tech team must've tested the phone before shipping which turned out to be the case.

Even before i loaded the SIM i thought i'll start with a fresh clean start. I accessed stock recovery and did a factory reset.

To my unfortunate event the device stopped detecting the SIM card, the seller has promised to unlock it once again, but i want to try to have it unlocked with your help to save the hassles of shipping it back to the seller.

As per the OP i installed motorola drivers and Radiocomm Ver. 11.11.11 to see the NV strings if it was in a unlock state or in a locked state going by the 16 digits listed on the OP. As i am using Win7 VM ... i am unable to check the NV strings.

Is there any other way i can verify the NV string and its 16 digits for its current state ?

Moreover Can i attempt to flash the Unlock zip file, currently my device has safestrap installed, can i uninstall and install Droid Bootstrap recovery as per the OP and try flashing the unlock zip ?
Can i do that even on Jellybean or those set of instructions are only for GingerBread ?

If anybody can answer what type of unlocking was done by my seller that got scraped off when a factory reset was performed on the device, i assume i'll be that much closer to the unlocking solution ... duly with all your help.

Any or all help appreciated.

thanks for looking.