FINALLY! GSM on DROID 4!!! IT WORKS!

Chelovek

Reaction score
Droid 4 & GSM

Now running ICS 213 on my Droid 4 and confirmed GSM works on Singapore network!!

Please update the OP TLDR section to not include the gsm zip flash and un-bold the gsm patch instructions.

However I ran into another problem of corrupted motorola recovery... doesn't seem to affect phone function so far. I will look around and try to find a solution.
Dear xavez87:

Have you tested data access and texting yet?

ikari

Reaction score
For me, in Poland, Play network, everything works. Voice, data and texts.

xavez87

Reaction score
Dear xavez87:

Have you tested data access and texting yet?

Yes the phone has all daily functions working, gps included. Are you from singapore too? If so please please do not spread this on local forums. i want this phone to be rare in sg =p

Germanguy

Reaction score
Yes the phone has all daily functions working, gps included. Are you from singapore too? If so please please do not spread this on local forums. i want this phone to be rare in sg =p
Did you have to make any edits in the build.prop file or did it work out of the box?

Chelovek

Reaction score
No, based in US working Europe & former Soviet Union countries.

Big D

Reaction score
Quick question.

I'm US based and going over to UK/France in August. I am rooted and on the .206 ICS leak (stock).

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to get the global function going on this bad boy?

Thanks so much.

dewhashish

Reaction score
do the ICS leaks automatically give you GSM capabilities using global? I tried a T-Mobile card but couldnt get a connection

Positive

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I'm looking to buy a Droid 4 on ebay (US) but I don't really know which version should I look for... I heard that Verizon phones doesn't use SIM cards, are they locked then ? CDMA , EVDO, GSM and LTE, I'm a bit lost with all that stuff, so what should I look for ?

Can someone who has already done it tell me how he did it ? (Buy a Droid 4 in the US and make it work in Europe)

Thanks a lot =)

anoopch

Reaction score
Hi,
Report from India:
Network Used : BSNL India

2G: Voice and Data Stable.(Almost Perfection)
- Signal drops occasionally(2-3 times a day) and causes Data to fail (Might be a Network Issue)
Things to Try:​
Put in Airplane mode and then toggle back to normal. Network comes back up.
Reboot the Mobile
3G: Voice and Data Bit less stable
-Signal shows no accesses to Network or no Signal Available.
Things to Try:​
Put in Airplane mode and then toggle back to normal. Network comes back up.
Reboot the Mobile
I am on Stock VZW GB 219 Firmware.

xavez87

Reaction score
works right out of the box, no modding/ hacking required after installing ICS. Simply installing ICS unlocks the GSM band. There's an option to manually switch between CDMA and GSM modes in settings > more > Mobile networks > Preferred network mode, but mine was on global and connected right away after boot.

Only extra step is to manually add APN

I have been reading through the forums and so far no one in the states could get GSM working. I suspect Verizon blacklisted the gsm networks.

Check this thread for ICS upgrading instructions

I had my oem motorola recovery disabled after updating (probably botched up a step) so YMMV

xavez87

Reaction score
I just remembered that I did not use the files provided in the link I gave, but the latest ones from the droid utility thread. That might be the reason why my oem recovery cannot boot

Big D

Reaction score
So are you saying that once you have ICS installed, you already have full GSM capabilities?

How would that work with Verizon? I assume they could tell you were using a network that wasn't supposed to be functional on the phone and charge out the ass for that.

Do I need to get a European Sim card?

xavez87

Reaction score
Yeah just simply install ICS. You don't even need to be rooted

The network block in usa seems to be either on the carrier side or it's baked into the rom. i suppose if you are visitng the states from abroad it should be okay. but don't take my word for it