Exploding Droid 2 Hurts Mans Ear?

texanmike

Reaction score
Count me in with the imperfection in the glass crowd. That or he's lying. Either one is plausable. The "pop" he heard was more likely the glass cracking and if it was right next to his ear it would be sharp... so sharp that if he dragged it against his ear he likely would have sliced it.

Somebody said something about LCDs and you're right under most conditions they wouldn't. Especially sitting on your desk... they are never stressed at all.. if he was putting stress on his phone it is more likely.

I don't know. Half of me thinks its bs, the other half thinks its a piece of glass breaking.

Mike

Lenagainster

Reaction score
...The "pop" he heard was more likely the glass cracking and if it was right next to his ear it would be sharp... so sharp that if he dragged it against his ear he likely would have sliced it.
Mike, I tend to agree. Notice that the fella said at the beginning "I just heard a pop..". Then the news reporters took over and hyped it up. Notice the explosions and fire on the screens in the back of the studio. The news reporters used the word "exploded", not the guy who cut his ear. Over-hyped, dishonest media reporting. Four stitches? That's nothing. Probably done with very fine thread since it was on the face and the doc wanted to prevent scarring. No mention of hearing loss. No mention of finding glass in the cut. The news reporters should pay the hospital bill for giving them a reason to create hysteria and up their ratings.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
if this were to actually be able to happen and it happened to me all i would demand is android phones for life from then and maybe phone service from life

and this is why i call bs

[video=youtube;Ope6uViLcEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ope6uViLcEY[/video]

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Yeah I too am going to go ahead and call BS on this. I've heard of batteries exploding and/or catching fire but if the battery was intact and the phone retained near full functionality then what else in the phone could explode with that much force?! The speaker?? Whatever!!

I call this Apple failing miserably at an Android diversionary tactic! ;)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'm calling it bs, too. I think the only thing that could have done it was the battery. Here's a video I saw a few weeks ago. [video=youtube;Gm0AkFUYpLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0AkFUYpLQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Android, WinPho7, iPhone4... What Grills Faster?[/video]
None of those phones blew up under extreme conditions.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
He should have paid the extra 20 bux for the invisishield ......though I highly doubt the mans story. Most explosions I know push stuff out. The glass looks like it was pushed in....but hey I wasnt there so I could only go off of my observation.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a 'dent' around the ear piece. No way that could happen with any sort of 'explosion.' Not to mention that there's no way that 'dent' got 'in' the phone and cut his ear without there being something that shouldn't have been (my bet would be he had a 'Darwin Awards' moment and was doing something stupid he doesn't want to admit to (firecracker or something retarded).

tmitch120

Reaction score
The Real Cause

It's all my fault. I ordered a DROID 2 yesterday so, naturally, this is in the news today :icon_eek:.

Hot Sauce

Reaction score
Yeah this guy sounds like a winner. The article even talked about people getting killed from their phones exploding, seriously? its not as if these things are friggin nuke powered, going critical. Heres what I want for christmas; I wanna stand arms length away from one of these Jack a$$es and watch intently as thier phone explodes and kills them or slices an ear off or something catastrophic. And yeah I agree, forensically speaking... blood spatter on phone doesnt match the injured ear... he's lying and I hope motorola sues him for everything he's worth which I can guess completely comprises a half empty can of Skoal, and a 1990 ford taurus.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Well, media hype aside, it's not impossible. I notice that the phones glass completely surrounds the microphone. If the phone were to crack under stress this is probably the most likely place for it to happen. It's the weakest spot in the glass, except maybe the corners. It's also a spot were stresses from expanding or contracting glass would be magnified.

If you combined say, a small chip or crack near the microphone, a cold day, and a sudden increases in temp from heavy phone use, this could happened. Especially if the phone was cold from being in an outside pocket for a while.

Unlikely, yes. But the unlikely happens all the time. Just not often. I'll wait to call this man a lier until I have evidence against him. Innocent until proven guilty, and all that stuff.

HarshReality

Reaction score
Its part of a new android bug.. remote wipe and self destruct... of course it wasnt perfect as the phone still works. Will of course be resolved in gingerbread.