Further Details Emerge About Droid Injuring Man's Ear

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
droid_2_blood.jpg

Last week we reported here about a Texas man named, Aron Embry, who was injured when his Droid 2 smart-phone allegedly exploded in his ear. New reports indicate that there may be more to this story than previously indicated. According to an article at gearlog.com, a source within Motorola told PCMag that he believed the phone was probably dropped and that Mr. Embry may have cut himself by using the phone without realizing that the screen was damaged. The undisclosed employee was also quoted as saying, "The only things that could explode in a phone would have resulted in a phone that did not work, yet this phone worked. And there was no explosive damage to the device (things inside blown outward, etc)." Motorola has not released any official report and is continuing to investigate. Hmmm... does the mystery deepen, or is the truth finally coming to light?

by dgstorm

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never doubted that this guy was full of it in the first place...

kechamb

Reaction score
Have you ever seen the movie "Law Abiding Citizen" ? Judges phone was rigged to expode while using it and kill her. I know it's Hollywood, or is it?

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully we can move past this now. Seeing that picture of the droid with blood all over it really grosses me out!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i bet the problem was the guy said "I dont need the extended warranty" I am real careful with my phone. He dropped it and he felt sick so instead of dealing with the mistake he made he thought he would just run a game.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully we can move past this now. Seeing that picture of the droid with blood all over it really grosses me out!
i know, and the media has been plastering that image everywhere... shock effect I'm sure.

bdub33

Reaction score
Where's the further details at?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Motorola ought to sue this guy for public slandering their product. I told my girlfriend about this and before I started to explain why this couldn't have logically happened (inward damage with outward wounding while maintaining full functionality) she was like, "I'm glad I didn't get the Droid 2."

Using that logic, if x number of people had read the article without reading any of the comments that make sense of it all they might eat it up and buy another phone, potentially costing Motorola, Google, Verizon, and the store they would have bought the device from optionally, hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more.

Suppose it's pointless though as the guy's probably only worth the clothes on his back and the lint in his pockets. :p

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I knew that this was a load of bull, when I saw the first picture. Seen it enough. Can we move on. Thanks.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still maintain that from a technical standpoint, it's perfectly plausible that the glass suddenly and catastrophically failed. Not an explosion per se, just a piece of glass suddenly shattering. It happens, and hardened glass is even more prone to just such a failure. The very process that hardens it also puts it under constant stress, all it would take is a tiny weak spot. I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, but with millions of glass screen covers produced, it's not entirely impossible that a few fail here and there.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The story just gets more wild all the time. The guy only claimed that he heard a popping sound, and his ear was cut. The media has insisted on calling it an explosion. I don't know if he's faking, or just trying to take advantage of the incident.

Either way, I think I'll wait for something more official than a report by a blog who's source is some guy who works for Motorola.

cjreyes666

Reaction score
Motorola ought to sue this guy for public slandering their product. I told my girlfriend about this and before I started to explain why this couldn't have logically happened (inward damage with outward wounding while maintaining full functionality) she was like, "I'm glad I didn't get the Droid 2."

Using that logic, if x number of people had read the article without reading any of the comments that make sense of it all they might eat it up and buy another phone, potentially costing Motorola, Google, Verizon, and the store they would have bought the device from optionally, hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more.

Suppose it's pointless though as the guy's probably only worth the clothes on his back and the lint in his pockets. :p

by any chance is ur gf blonde.

deadernie

Reaction score
Maybe there are people out to get him and his droid saved him from a bullet. Hence the popping noise and then the blood from the fractured glass? At least that would be a much better way for the media to spin it.

"Droid saves man's life from sniper's head shot attempt":icon_eek:

Only a matter of time before the truth comes out. I'm not buying it. My guess is he f*cked up his phone by dropping it or something similar and it still worked and then he shaved part of his ear off using the phone with the broken screen.

I wonder when Motorola will send me my check for my investigative services?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Back when I had a regular phone, I cant remember the exact phone, but it was a flip phone. I woke up one day after leaving it charging all night, and the inside of the phone had partially exploded. It was in between some of the numbers to dial. It also left a permanent black smear on the actual display on the inside. The phone was usable, but I kept wondering how bad it wouldve been had I been talking on the phone and this happened. Im pretty sure Verizon made me keep the phone anyways since I continued using it until it was time to upgrade.

So I cant say for sure the guy is lying as I've had a similar experience.