Exploding Droid 2 Hurts Mans Ear?

J

JohnDroid

exploding-droid-2.jpg

It's always a pleasure to report the great news each day regarding the amazing techno-beast that is the Google Android. From the exciting new technological advances in their CPU's and operating systems, to the mundane statistics regarding how fast the Android is taking market-share away from other smart-phones, there is always something interesting to report. Sadly, because of the nature of the news industry, we sometimes have to report the "not-so-exciting" news too. Today is one of those days.

Apparently, according to this report at WFAA.com, a Cedar Hill, TX, man named Aron Embry was talking on his Droid 2 smart-phone when he heard a loud pop and felt blood trickling down his face. He looked at his phone and realized that the screen had exploded, cutting his ear badly enough that a trip to the emergency room and four stitches were necessary. Amazingly, his battery was intact, and the phone still functions.

Motorola issued this statement in response, "Motorola's priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly."

It will be interesting to find out what their investigation turns up. I would certainly like to know how the screen exploded leaving the rest of the phone intact.

View the video here: http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Man-hospitalized-after-phone--111203854.html

by dgstorm

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how a screen just 'blows up' as well.

techguru

Reaction score
"Motorola issued this statement in response, "Motorola's priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly.""

Where they will find it is a total fabrication.... Cell batteries can blow up under the right conditions or a bad (made in China knockoff primarily) battery, but the earpiece, with the phone still working afterwords? Not too likely.

Alan

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I certainly won't rush to judgement but something sounds a bit odd.
Like Martin said, I'm curious how an LCD screen just blows up...but the rest of the phone is in tact? And still functioning nonetheless!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
He should have paid the extra 20 bux for the invisishield ......though I highly doubt the mans story. Most explosions I know push stuff out. The glass looks like it was pushed in....but hey I wasnt there so I could only go off of my observation.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I CAN judge a book by it's cover and he's full of IT !!

Let's see, I broke my droid and the wife is going to kill me. But wait, what if it actually exploded!! That wouldn't be my fault and I can actually make some money off my stupidity. Now I just have to cut my ear (not a problem as I only use them to hold up my really cool sunglasses!!).

As the great Ron White has said, "You can't fix stupid"!!

its.mike

Reaction score
My Interpretation
It looks like he dropped his phone, thought "How can I get my phone replaced since I didn't get the insurance?" So he cut his ear and put the phone to it and claim it "blew up".

Logical Answer
If you look at the ear piece that's where the majority of the damage originates. For the ear piece to explode it would require a surge in power, which could be caused by a faulty battery, however the surge would also kill the phone. So that rules that out because he and his wife say the phone still works.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Qy1vM7dlzdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy1vM7dlzdk]YouTube - Man claims Motorola DROID 2 exploded leaving him injured.[/video]

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably one of those guys who were overclocking their D2's to 3.0Ghz - :tongue: