Exploding Droid 2 Hurts Mans Ear?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Dec 3, 2010.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

[​IMG]

It's always a pleasure to report the great news each day regarding the amazing techno-beast that is the Google Android. From the exciting new technological advances in their CPU's and operating systems, to the mundane statistics regarding how fast the Android is taking market-share away from other smart-phones, there is always something interesting to report. Sadly, because of the nature of the news industry, we sometimes have to report the "not-so-exciting" news too. Today is one of those days.

Apparently, according to this report at WFAA.com, a Cedar Hill, TX, man named Aron Embry was talking on his Droid 2 smart-phone when he heard a loud pop and felt blood trickling down his face. He looked at his phone and realized that the screen had exploded, cutting his ear badly enough that a trip to the emergency room and four stitches were necessary. Amazingly, his battery was intact, and the phone still functions.

Motorola issued this statement in response, "Motorola's priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly."

It will be interesting to find out what their investigation turns up. I would certainly like to know how the screen exploded leaving the rest of the phone intact.

View the video here: http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Man-hospitalized-after-phone--111203854.html

by dgstorm
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I'm curious to know how a screen just 'blows up' as well.
  3. techguru

techguru Member

"Motorola issued this statement in response, "Motorola's priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly.""

Where they will find it is a total fabrication.... Cell batteries can blow up under the right conditions or a bad (made in China knockoff primarily) battery, but the earpiece, with the phone still working afterwords? Not too likely.

Alan
  4. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I certainly won't rush to judgement but something sounds a bit odd.
    Like Martin said, I'm curious how an LCD screen just blows up...but the rest of the phone is in tact? And still functioning nonetheless!
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

He should have paid the extra 20 bux for the invisishield ......though I highly doubt the mans story. Most explosions I know push stuff out. The glass looks like it was pushed in....but hey I wasnt there so I could only go off of my observation.
  6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Wife got angry and chucked the phone at her Husband.
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Well, I CAN judge a book by it's cover and he's full of IT !!

Let's see, I broke my droid and the wife is going to kill me. But wait, what if it actually exploded!! That wouldn't be my fault and I can actually make some money off my stupidity. Now I just have to cut my ear (not a problem as I only use them to hold up my really cool sunglasses!!).

As the great Ron White has said, "You can't fix stupid"!!
  8. Slntagent

Slntagent New Member

something tells me hes single.....
  9. pc747

he is married according to the news report.
  10. Slntagent

Slntagent New Member

doh guess i need to get the droid outta my ear and listen
  11. Slntagent

Slntagent New Member

wow that was a bad joke
  12. its.mike

its.mike New Member

My Interpretation
    It looks like he dropped his phone, thought "How can I get my phone replaced since I didn't get the insurance?" So he cut his ear and put the phone to it and claim it "blew up".

Logical Answer
    If you look at the ear piece that's where the majority of the damage originates. For the ear piece to explode it would require a surge in power, which could be caused by a faulty battery, however the surge would also kill the phone. So that rules that out because he and his wife say the phone still works.
  13. pc747

14. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Man Hurt by ?Exploding? Cell Phone
    That link is the local news story

"He drove to the school where his wife works to tell her what happened and to get her to take pictures. That’s when she called 911."
    That quote from the man raises the biggest red flag to me!
  15. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Probably one of those guys who were overclocking their D2's to 3.0Ghz - :tongue:
  16. pc747

I laughed at that youtube his wife saying what if it had been a small child ... Why would a small child have a $500 phone in their hand....that is why you put it on speaker so you still hold the phone and the small child can talk.....
  17. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

For all of you naysayers, I could see where this could happen.

From Corning's Gorilla Glass website:

"What makes Gorilla Glass so damage resistant?

The unique composition of Gorilla Glass allows for a deep layer of high compressive stress (created through an ion-exchange process). This compression acts as a sort of “armor,” making the glass exceptionally tough and damage resistant."

This means that the glass is constantly under stress. A small manufacturing imperfection could potentially lead to catastrophic failure, much like a tempered safety glass window in a car appears to "explode" when hit with a window punch tool.
  18. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

I smell a rat. If he was hurt that seriously, why did he stop to get his girlfriend to take a bunch of pictures? He probably stopped by to see Jim Adler, the TOUGH, SMART LAWYER, aka "The Texas Hammer" (his words, not mine);) on the way to be interviewed by the reporter. More likely that he was talking to his other girlfriend on the phone and GF#1 hit him with a 2x4. dancedroid
  19. pc747

But Motorola used the same glass for the d1 and we know the d1 had issues. Out of all the d1s, d2s, rd-D2, and d2G only 1 device "exploded". Wow that dude must have had some horrible luck that day. Plus why did he go to the school first and not the hospital....The story is not adding up at all.
  20. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

The logic is sound there, but you would have to figure if the glass was under that much stress, it would explode anytime you dropped your phone.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)
Search tags for this page
cell phone blows up in mans ear in 2014
exploding mobile phone blows kids face off
phone blowing up on charger ear
phone blows up in man's ear 2013
picture of ear blown off while answering cell phone

smart phone blowing up

smart phone blows up

smartphone blows up

why did my motorola droid explode when it broke