Entitlement_Hack_XT912 for 4.1.2 Verizon HotSpot

KaChow

Reaction score
While I created the original thread to target the Entitlement Hack for the XT926 Razr/Maxx HD, it appears that settings to obtain the Entitlement Hack is very close in relations to the XT912 Razr/Maxx. After confirmation earlier today, that the method is working, I am providing the link, here, to the main thread. This thread takes advantage of three different types of Tether, 1) USB tether, 2)HotSpot Wireless tether, 3) Reverse tether. It is also important to note that with the Entitlement Hack the HotSpot only works with the original Verizon provided app and system setting. Foxfi, PDAnet, Wireless Tether, or whatever do not work this method.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Just a quick note on this...

The combination of aShell and aSQLiteManager gives you a free alternative to buying the $3 app. You need both because aSQLiteManager does not offer root functionality, but aShell acts as a root frontend for this. It pushes the file out to external storage where you can edit it with aSQLiteManager, then resaves your edited file back in its original place.

Follow the linked instructions above with this difference for accessing the settings.db file:

Open aShell (get latest version just posted yesterday if you already have this app, he just fixed a bug for JB)
Check root box and grant permission
Enter File Explorer
Navigate: Data>Data>com.motorola.android.providers.settings>databases>settings.db
At this point you will confirm to open the file with aSQLiteManager
Choose "settings" from the list
Choose "data"
Use "PgDn" to find and edit your entitlement check settings
When done, back out and answer Yes to commit your changes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Now this is what I call collaboration and support! Great work you two. :hail:

I was aware (as many were), that the entitlement hack worked also on the RAZRs, but that the actual item number was simply a different line in the file. I was also aware that there was some type of hybrid way of doing this without buying the app, but for me...$3 was an easy fee to absorb. That's the great thing about most of the apps for phones...they're in the "dollars" range rather than "tens of dollars" or potentially much more in the PC world.

Still, free is pretty nice too, and if Phreaker47 had been around when I was looking for this, maybe I would have bought a cup of Starbucks Latte' with the money instead :biggrin: - a small...of course :blink: !

Phreaker47

Reaction score
All this info has been around for a while since ICS, but scattered around various threads. KaChow did a good job consolidating all of it into one coherent thread.

I'd now expect a renewed interest in it, since at the moment, this seems to be the only way to tether on JB.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
All this info has been around for a while since ICS, but scattered around various threads. KaChow did a good job consolidating all of it into one coherent thread.

I'd now expect a renewed interest in it, since at the moment, this seems to be the only way to tether on JB.

Thanks! I've added to the OP the details and instructions you provided on the combo approach, so that others can benefit from the free alternative. :rating10:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

There was a rumor going round that PDANet+ will work as long as USB Debugging is turned on. I just downloaded, installed and ran it, and sure enough...it works! My earlier Droid RAZR MAXX (which no longer has service), is currently tethered to my new CLNR RAZR MAXX and I'm surfing on it now.

UPDATE: See my post two posts below...this doesn't work unless you're rooted and the Entitlement Hack has been executed, so...back to square one. :frown:

Phreaker47

Reaction score
There was a rumor going round that PDANet+ will work as long as USB Debugging is turned on. I just downloaded, installed and ran it, and sure enough...it works! My earlier Droid RAZR MAXX (which no longer has service), is currently tethered to my new CLNR RAZR MAXX and I'm surfing on it now.

But... does it now only work in USB tether mode? OR does Wifi work...

Well anyway, still, entitlement hack FTW, in my world.

Cool that it's getting worked around though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I must apologize, upon further exploration I realized I had Entitlement Check set to 0, so I set it to 1 to test and discovered it failed. See below.

bu4ynuzu.jpg

ama3umy4.jpg

uhema5u5.jpg

Yes, it works as a Wireless Hot Spot, but it works ONLY if the Entitlement Check is set also to 0, so root IS required, and SQLite (or the free 2-app alternative) are required to edit the Settings:Storage SQL file. If you run it with the Entitlement Check set to 1 (in other words, you are NOT paying the additional $30 per month), it actually comes up with a message stating that Verizon has blocked its access, and then sends you to the enrollment screen giving you the option to enlist in the monthly fee. If the Entitlement Check is set to 0, it works without hesitation, the same as it does with the Verizon Hotspot App.

This is unique and may still be a viable option for those who don't want to violate their Agreement of Service Terms with Verizon, because the agreement speaks specifically of using the Verizon Hotspot application, and this alleviates the need to use THAT app, and instead you use one off the Google Play Store, which apparently is completely lawful. This interpretation of the legality is not my own, but that of others who have posted, and that of the media as it has been reported.

wkayl

Reaction score
I feel like a dummy. I hadn't rooted my phone for over a year. I only rooted before to get hotspot. Foxfi worked for me on ICS. Now with the JB update, I needed to root to get wifi again. After doing all the instructions I kept getting the message that I had not subscribed to Mobile Hotspot. After several tries, I rebooted (volume down, power for a few seconds). that did it, now works like expected on PDANet. I even spring for the unlock version.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I feel like a dummy. I hadn't rooted my phone for over a year. I only rooted before to get hotspot. Foxfi worked for me on ICS. Now with the JB update, I needed to root to get wifi again. After doing all the instructions I kept getting the message that I had not subscribed to Mobile Hotspot. After several tries, I rebooted (volume down, power for a few seconds). that did it, now works like expected on PDANet. I even spring for the unlock version.

If you have PDANet+ working, did you do the Entitlement Hack described here? I just want to make sure that we don't miss a workaround.

Thanks.:hail:

wkayl

Reaction score
If you have PDANet+ working, did you do the Entitlement Hack described here? I just want to make sure that we don't miss a workaround.

Thanks.:hail:

Yes, I did the entitelment hack. It was on line 66.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Yes, I did the entitelment hack. It was on line 66.

If you could which device, what version are you running, also if you could what are the lines for USB tether and "tether_reverse_nat"/ Reverse tether?

wkayl

Reaction score
If you could which device, what version are you running, also if you could what are the lines for USB tether and "tether_reverse_nat"/ Reverse tether?

I have a RAZR Droid Maxx, OTA JellyBean 4.1.2. USB tether is line 67. Reverse tether is line 56.

Droid3DR

Reaction score
I did the hack using ashell and SQLite manager on my version Razr M DEV edition. Hotsopot is enabled and my devices connect to phone BUT no Internet access!! I tried accessing from phone with hotspot on the access from phone works. Clearly an issue with the wifi tether. Any ideas?