successful tethering for rooted Razr(maxx)?!?

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
okay i'm not new to the rooting world, but it looks like verizon has done its homework to prevent rooted users from tethering over their 4GLTE network. I have searched forums looking for some sort of successful tethering option for rooted users but find only unanswered threads.

sooooo i did find this guys little video/write up : How to Get Free 4G LTE Wifi Tether/Mobile Hotspot on Rooted Droid Razr! | DroidRazrRoot.com

he suggests paying for and downloading SQlite Editor and change some parameters in a file settings which basically prevents your phone from going into "accept $29.00 fee for hotspot" mode.

so i said wth lets roll with it. after doing a reboot, it failed to cockblock me from using wifi tether, but then all of a sudden my 4GLTE connection (which has always been 4G) slowly started to drop down to 3G and weaken even more. still no successful tether either.... so i turned off the tethering and my phone would NOT return to 4G.
reboot
still weak 3G signal.:mad:
went back into the file which i modded and returned it back to original parameters, reboot. then 4GLTE returned.:icon_eek: WTF?!? Big Brother **** going down right here...

so what I'm wondering is anyone out there successfully rooted tethering via 4GLTE? :blink:

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
wow. foxfi works like a charm! i don't know why the other tethering apps for root aren't working... weird. thank you Scottyside for your help!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Glad it worked out for you! I've been using it for a few months now with no complications.

jedininjaster

Reaction score
foxfi does not work for me

I tried it after barnicle and open tether didn't work. every time i start up a little green wifi icon (the verizon tether one) pops up in the notification bar. after clicking on it it asks me to sign up for tethering.

same thing happens with foxfi

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I tried it after barnicle and open tether didn't work. every time i start up a little green wifi icon (the verizon tether one) pops up in the notification bar. after clicking on it it asks me to sign up for tethering.

same thing happens with foxfi

Welcome aboard. What settings are you trying to use? I haven't heard of any issues with either of these hotspot apps. Are you running a ROM? Are you rooted?

jedininjaster

Reaction score
I am not running a custom rom, but I am rooted. Do I need to flash a custom rom?

-thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
No. No need for a custom ROM. What problems are you having? It should be as simple as opening the app and enabling it?

jedininjaster

Reaction score
That is what I thought, but every time I start any of the apps, the Verizon tether notification emblem shows in the notification bar. Foxing starts, the computer connects, but it is not able to actually get data. Ive tried it with several different laptops.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
yup. thats what happens just ignore the verizon part and you should be fine.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Just Successfully tethered and Am writing to you using the tether. I used "ASHELL" and "SQLITE MANAGER" both can be found for free on the market.

Go into aShell, check the “Root” box at the top, go to File Explorer, then go to data -> data -> com.motorola.android.providers.settings -> databases -> settings.db, open it with aSQLiteManager, click Settings -> Data, click “PgDn” until you get to 150, click “Edit”, change the value to 0, then press the back button soft key until you are prompted to save the changes back in aShell, save the changes, and reboot your phone. Then enjoy =)

Big thanks to Kendallhabra on DroidRAZRROOT forum for the instructions.

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted to use this method.

sava700

Reaction score
New poster here... my new Maxx is coming Wed and I've got a question involving the tethering. I know Verizon and other carriers are able to see if you do this but does the app as listed here foxfi or any others prevent them from knowing you tether - which pretty much means laying the phone down with the connection and letting me allow my laptop to connect online with it?

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
IMO, VZW or any other wireless carrier should mind their own business about how you choose to use the data plan your already paying for. Paying for tethering is like paying the phone bill twice. As long as you stay under your monthly data GB plan, why should the wireless company care how its used.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
New poster here... my new Maxx is coming Wed and I've got a question involving the tethering. I know Verizon and other carriers are able to see if you do this but does the app as listed here foxfi or any others prevent them from knowing you tether - which pretty much means laying the phone down with the connection and letting me allow my laptop to connect online with it?

To my knowledge they can't see it. And really from the conversation I just had with cs, if you DON'T USE THEIR SOFTWARE TO DO IT! Then they can't charge you for it.

That DOESN'T make this 100% true. But I use foxfi all the time, and haven't gotten even a mention of it from big red.
And foxfi rocks, I even have my son using foxfi rocks tether his ps3.... and his vita PSP.

Hope this helps?

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
IMO, VZW or any other wireless carrier should mind their own business about how you choose to use the data plan your already paying for. Paying for tethering is like paying the phone bill twice. As long as you stay under your monthly data GB plan, why should the wireless company care how its used.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

IMHO, I agree, infact it shouldn't matter if you go over your data plan. After all, YOU pay for it. They don't say, well you pay for 2GB and you used 3.5 and we think your tethering, so please stop. They charge you another 20$ and don't care how or why you went over.

Trust me!! I have 4 unlimited DROID devices with Verizon. A maxx, a bionic an x2 and an x.... my monthly bill is 400$+ per month... not once have they cut me any slack except they did just give me a free upgrade... idk why but they did. So i have to give credit where credit is due on that.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX