Entitlement Hack for RAZR HD/MAXX HD XT926 Wireless & USB, ICS & JB

Discussion in 'RAZR HD/MAXX HD Development and Hacking' started by KaChow, Jan 13, 2013.

1. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Entitlement hack turns off the check by your phone to see if you're enrolled in the Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot in order to do wireless WiFi tethering with the Mobile Hotspot app. It also enables PDANet+ to work as well. Otherwise you get the following screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  2. FoxKat

Don't know if this was answered, but there are TWO hammer and wrench files on my phone (this may be unique to my phone)...one near the top of the list, the other near the bottom. They are different in appearance, as the one at the top looks "fatter" (sorry, couldn't come up with a better description). The file names are in alphabetical order, so you want the one at the bottom (with the red handle) called "Settings : Storage" - without the spaces (again, see image below).

[​IMG]

Note: YOU DO NOT want to edit the file named "entitlement" in the "E"s near the top.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. FoxKat

No need to apologize, Redsnk...we appreciate all types of help. You may actually be on to something though. I will investigate further as I didn't see if you did the entitlement hack, yet you say it works. I'll report back.

Update; I'm happy to report that Wifi Tether 3.2 Beta 2 indeed works with root and NO entitlement hack (i.e. set to 1).

Good find, Redsnk95!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  4. KaChow

KaChow Guest

I have confirmed, the Entitlement Hack works on XT926 Razr/Maxx HD running on JB update version 4.1.2. The OP has been updated with settings/slight adjustment.
  5. Droid3DR

Droid3DR New Member

I did the entitlement hack using ashell and SQLite manager on my version Razr M DEV edition. Hotsopot is enabled and my devices connect to phone BUT no Internet access!! I tried accessing from phone with hotspot on the access from phone works. Clearly an issue with the wifi tether. Any ideas?
  6. DonnitaMae

DonnitaMae New Member

Today when the OTA killed my Foxfi/PDANet I rooted but it was still being blocked. I found this post and was able to fix my problem! The only thing that I had to change was the line to edit. I have a Razr Maxx. The line was 66 on my phone. I rebooted and it worked just fine. Barnacle won't work but I don't know how long that may have been a problem because I haven't used it in a very long time. Barnacle was getting a NAT error. But Foxfi/PDANet and WiFi Tether for Root Users both work fine.

Thanks KaChow!! :hail:
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Telescopist

Telescopist New Member

I downloaded Root Checker. It verifies that I have root access. Still, I have the same issue as tech_head. I don't see settings.db. I get the response that "No databases found." Any suggestions about what to do? Thanks.
  8. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Just to doublecheck that everything is functioning properly. First go into SuperUser> slide the screen to the left and press the "su binary v1.1X:SUPERSU, tap to check for updates"> select "Update" on the next screen "Allow" any of the pop-ups> if successful should see "That was cool, do it again." Next go into SQlite Editor or the default app you are using, look for "Settings Storage" it will be a Hammer standing up, with a wrench laying down behind it = this what the app looks like. Select it> there should be three options 1) android_metadata, 2) settings, 3) sqlite_sequence. Select #2) settings. Scroll down not sure what device you have but look for "entitlement_check" if you have not made the selection yet the Value will display "1"> go ahead and highlight this "entitlement_check" setting and select the pen in the upper screen> in the next screen change the "value" to 0 and select save. Reboot and enjoy.

If for any reason you still are unable to access the setting, go into your Titanium Backup or Backup app and check to make sure that you did not, "freeze or disable this app" by mistake.

View attachment 61450 View attachment 61449
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. Telescopist

Telescopist New Member

Screen Shot

Hi, Please find attached a screen shot of the portion in Settings where #79 is displayed View attachment 61451

You write that: On XT912 Razr/Maxx “79 entitlement_check 1”7) Press the line to highlight the setting
    8) Select the “Pen” at the top of the screen
    9) Find the “value” and change to “0” and select “save”.

My #79 is 'network setting on boot'. Could direct me toward the setting that I need to change? Thanks.
  10. Telescopist

Telescopist New Member

Thank you very much. I did not have to take these additional steps after all. SQlite opened up and decided to play nice. I found "entitlement_Check" at #16 on the list. I changed the value to "0". I tethered the phone (Razr MAXX) to a laptop making sure that the laptop was not picking up a WiFi signal from my router. The rest is HX. No announcement from Verizon that I needed to sign a 2 year contract for blah, blah, blah $. Works like a charm. At least until Verizon figures out how to put a monkey wrench into the situation. :blink:
  11. Telescopist

Telescopist New Member

Duly noted in a previous post. Thank you. I am not benefiting from Entitlement Hack.

I am benefiting from the Entitlement Hack! Some gremlin must have inserted the word 'now'. Sorry KaChow.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. jimstripple

jimstripple New Member

Duh:frown:
    Well kick me in the butt and call me stupid.
  13. nickmind

nickmind New Member

56/57/58 = tether_reverse_nat_enabled = USB Reverse Tether

Hello all,

I just want to confirm I just got a MAXX HD 9.16.6.XT926 just a month ago. Just minutes ago i rooted, install SQlite, followed the direction from the OP, and Worked!!! Thank you for your time.

But i'm asking a question about the value for tether_reverse_nat_enabled because I think the setting is wrong in the Original Post or maybe i don't know what this line does for us? My setting was _id:57 and Value was 0 by default. By reading the line, i would think by setting the value to 1 will enable tether reverse nat. :) Don't we want this setting enabled? I would think we would want this.

Again, I'm not sure were reverse nat would help us, maybe something like use the USB connection to the phone for internet access?!? Don't know.

Thanks again,
    Nick
  14. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Glad you got it working! The wireless tether is incredible!

The settings I have listed in the OP for the "tether reverse nat" are correct, that is the setting should be "0". When it comes to these settings "0" and "1" think of them as check marks, that is "0" is no check mark and "1" is a check mark. If you have "tether reverse nat" set to "1" and tried to use it, the system, would not run the setting as the "1" or checkmark is set and does not allow the running of the program. If the setting on the other hand is "0", then the system would not see the checkmark, and the system would run the program. Reverse Tether, happens to be my favorite tether method, the one I have posted is the only one that actually works. Most household internet connections get on average a speed of 20-30 mbps, you have a strong signal on your device with strong LTE you may get anywhere from 30-45 mbps, (of course connection speeds vary and I mentioning this to prove a point.) Let's say your home has a internet connection of 105 mbps or your work has this, or you happen to live in one Google's Fiber areas and get over 750 mbps or more. Imagine, with that raw speed the ability to run your Device through that internet connection, thus you have the Reverse Tether, which takes your device connected via USB and runs it through your Computers connection.

Another place that this may be beneficial, and don't get fired for trying this before finding out. If you get a lousy connection at work, or maybe bluetooth doesn't work well, and your Boss or IT will let you run your Device's modem off, of the companies computer that you use, this would be an ideal solution.

If you want to check your computers SPEED click here, nothing to Download.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. soccerdude77

soccerdude77 New Member

I am getting an error that I have not seen here yet. My error is this.

ERROR
    An error occurred while opening the database. disk I/O error (code 3850):
    , while compiling: SELECT * FROM sqlite_master WHERE type
    in('table','view') ORDER BY name

I have an xt926.
  16. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Thanks for posting this, I cannot say precisely where the error occurred or when it took place, but the solution to resolve this would be to rebuild the database. The error is indicating that the db does exist, however are errors causing the disk not to be read. At first, this could be viewed as an issue with SQLite (afterall SQLite is generating the error code), but after further review that is not the case. The more advanced way to fix this can be found here, which essentially you are creating a new database using the existing database information. There are other ways of getting the original database back, the most common would be to reset or restoring the device to its original condition. One other option that could be explored, if considering the complete reset, is to first extract the (com.motorola.android.providers.settings) aka Setting Storage app, found within a base rom, install it over the existing application (this is just a theory), afterall there is not an issue with the application, it is database that is the concern and whether or not an install of new app can in deed produce a database that overwrites the existing one.
  17. KaChow

KaChow Guest

In reference to my last suggestion, if this is the chosen route, let me provide some additional resources. I have taken the liberty of finding the necessary file that contains the db, it can be downloaded here through this link. These apps are new (they do not contain any personalized settings) and are based on the latest update of JB4.1.2, version 9.16.9. There are two files, and this is very common, if you are running a stock version of JB 4.1.2. The next step once these apps have been downloaded, I suggest doing so directly to the device or can be done via the computer and external storage. Once, the file has been installed, open it, I suggest using a program like Root Explorer, if you would rather not spend the $4 for it Root Browser lite does an exceptional job for free click here... . Chances are if you have Root Explorer you can easily follow along as I will use Root Browser to proceed. Open Root Browser and find the db.zip, should be on the SDcard1, open file and extract both files, (make a note of where the file is extracted to, mine uses by default /storage/sdcard0/extracted.) Find the extracted files, select the Multi-Sel in bottom tool bar, select both apk/odex, click on the scissors to move, going to go all the way out to the uppermost folders, look for the folder that reads "system", then this is what I do, paste, find the two files and change the permissions to RW-R-R on both (this is the check boxes for Read- Owner, Group, Others and Write=Owner. Once this has been done on both apk/odex, multi-select, select both applications, select move and move to the "app" file and paste. Go ahead and override the change, with the change in place, exit out of all the files and REBOOT. On reboot, if this was successful then you should be able to enter the db and make the setting changes, and reboot again.

As always this is done at your risk, the db is ONLY for the XT926 running on JB 4.1.2, latest version 9.19.9
  18. dja1980

dja1980 Member

I'm a little confused by post #34. It states that "tether_reverse_nat_enabled" should be "0", but the screenshot in the OP shows it as "1". I only made a change to "entitlement_check" since the other two were already set to "0".

These were the default settings on my phone...

tether_reverse_nat_enabled - 0 (do I need to change this to "1"?)
    entitlement_check - 1 (I changed this to "0".)
    usb_entitlement_check - 0

Is this correct?
Search tags for this page
droid razr entitlement hack

droid razr hd entitlement hack

droid razr hd hacks

droid razr maxx hd hacks
droid razr maxx hd hotspot hack
entitlement check hack

entitlement hack

entitlement hack droid razr

razr entitlement hack