successful tethering for rooted Razr(maxx)?!?

sava700

Reaction score
ok thanks for the replies guys.. I'll download that and get it a go then.

akiles

Reaction score
I used FoxFi and tethered my windows slate and scored 14mbps under lte.
I was able to tether using bluetooth as well -using the same app but can't remember the score.

I'm on the leak now and I can't tether crap! I can't get it to work -I think it may have to do with root. For some reason, apps that require root, take a long time to start or do not work at all. Meh...

mricchio

Reaction score
Help. I changed everything like u said and now my phone wont stop rebooting....

webster8004

Reaction score
I use Wifi Tether app for my needs, don't worry about when the verizon notification pops up, like someone said earlier just wait for it to go away and everything should work normally

mricchio

Reaction score
Droid Razr Maxxx Android 2.3.6 System Ver. 6.12.181.XT912

Can Anyone Confirm That these are the correct values????
Thanks

Line 18-----Throttle-polling-Sec---------Value 1
Line 19-----Throttle-threshold-bytes----Value 0
Line 20-----Throttle-value-kbitsps-------Value 9999999999999999999999999

IanBadeer

Reaction score
Was just getting ready to root my RAZR Maxx for tethering when I saw this thread. It works perfectly! Thanks for the heads up.

Droid RAZR Maxx
Android 2.3.6

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
bouncindread said:
When we say free wifi tethering does that mean that I'm not using my accounted data to tether?

No, if your not on unlimited data its not wise..
free means not paying for a "hot spot" option and using your phones data connection, so if your on 2gb or 4 Gb its not wise to tether.

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

BostonDan

Reaction score
Just Successfully tethered and Am writing to you using the tether. I used "ASHELL" and "SQLITE MANAGER" both can be found for free on the market.

Go into aShell, check the “Root” box at the top, go to File Explorer, then go to data -> data -> com.motorola.android.providers.settings -> databases -> settings.db, open it with aSQLiteManager, click Settings -> Data, click “PgDn” until you get to 150, click “Edit”, change the value to 0, then press the back button soft key until you are prompted to save the changes back in aShell, save the changes, and reboot your phone. Then enjoy =)

Big thanks to Kendallhabra on DroidRAZRROOT forum for the instructions.

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted to use this method.

Only one change to these instructions - you want to download "aSQLiteManager" not "SQLite Manager" (two separate programs... the "SQLite Manager" will not allow you to open the file from ASHELL).

Otherwise, great writeup!

Cheers,
B.D.

BearMace

Reaction score
Just Successfully tethered and Am writing to you using the tether. I used "ASHELL" and "SQLITE MANAGER" both can be found for free on the market.

Go into aShell, check the “Root” box at the top, go to File Explorer, then go to data -> data -> com.motorola.android.providers.settings -> databases -> settings.db, open it with aSQLiteManager, click Settings -> Data, click “PgDn” until you get to 150, click “Edit”, change the value to 0, then press the back button soft key until you are prompted to save the changes back in aShell, save the changes, and reboot your phone. Then enjoy =)

Big thanks to Kendallhabra on DroidRAZRROOT forum for the instructions.

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted to use this method.

Okay, I've followed this method. Do I still need to use something like FoxFi, or if not how do I go about actually tethering to my device?

Necrobater

Reaction score
Hello Guys, Thanks for the great info. However, when I use ashell in root mode to open the database it asks me if I want to open a copy of the database and when i do it copies it to the sd card, so I'm not actually editing the correctly located database. I am thinking that android is doing this with its open with prompot, but I'm not sure. I tried opening it in asqleditor, but it suggests using ashell. I looked in both settings for ashell and asqleditor to see if there was an option to directly open or edit the database, but i can't find anything. I really dont want to spend the 2.99 =(

trailjunkee

Reaction score
What's the latest answer to adding a hotspot app. I just got my Maxx today. Rooted it with no problems. Superuser permissions seem to be granted. I've tried Wireless tether and I can get connected to the phone but no internet access. Never get a message on the phone that my laptop has connected. Worked fine on my rooted D1. Also tried Foxfi with the same results. I can't tell from reading this thread if the aShell mod is required or not. Seems like Foxfi works on unrooted phones, Wireless Tether should work on rooted phones but some phones require the aShell mod to root. Anybody have any insight into the "right" way to get it to work? I'm willing to do the aShell mod but would prefer not to if it's not required and I'm missing something else.

Thanks!
Bryan

rotordroid

Reaction score
What's the latest answer to adding a hotspot app. I just got my Maxx today. Rooted it with no problems. Superuser permissions seem to be granted. I've tried Wireless tether and I can get connected to the phone but no internet access. Never get a message on the phone that my laptop has connected. Worked fine on my rooted D1. Also tried Foxfi with the same results. I can't tell from reading this thread if the aShell mod is required or not. Seems like Foxfi works on unrooted phones, Wireless Tether should work on rooted phones but some phones require the aShell mod to root. Anybody have any insight into the "right" way to get it to work? I'm willing to do the aShell mod but would prefer not to if it's not required and I'm missing something else.

Thanks!
Bryan

I have used both apps successfully on my rooted Maxx without performing any mods

dagrainger

Reaction score

Thanks!
Bryan

Bryan,
Try starting your tether app, then launch the browser on your phone. I am not sure why, but on occasion, I have to do this on my phone. Try it and you should find internet available on your tethered device (laptop etc)...

Hope this helps...