successful tethering for rooted Razr(maxx)?!?

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Just Successfully tethered and Am writing to you using the tether. I used "ASHELL" and "SQLITE MANAGER" both can be found for free on the market.

Go into aShell, check the “Root” box at the top, go to File Explorer, then go to data -> data -> com.motorola.android.providers.settings -> databases -> settings.db, open it with aSQLiteManager, click Settings -> Data, click “PgDn” until you get to 150, click “Edit”, change the value to 0, then press the back button soft key until you are prompted to save the changes back in aShell, save the changes, and reboot your phone. Then enjoy =)

Big thanks to Kendallhabra on DroidRAZRROOT forum for the instructions.

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted to use this method.

Only one change to these instructions - you want to download "aSQLiteManager" not "SQLite Manager" (two separate programs... the "SQLite Manager" will not allow you to open the file from ASHELL).

Otherwise, great writeup!

Cheers,
B.D.

Something to add now regarding ICS... the line number is 79, not 150 now. What's important is that you are sure to be changing the one called "Entitlement Check".

With ICS, many wireless tether solutions are now broken (including WiFi Tethering For Root Users which I had always used). It seems the options are this hack, which still works to enable the native tethering app, or FoxFi.

I just did the hack. Works great. One less app I need installed in my phone.

jsandy

Reaction score
Something to add now regarding ICS... the line number is 79, not 150 now. What's important is that you are sure to be changing the one called "Entitlement Check".

That's interesting. My "Entitlement Check" is still 150. i changed the value from "1" to "0" and it works like a charm. I'm running a Razr Maxx on ICS that I manually updated using the 1.7 utility. I then rooted it the same way. "About Phone" says that I'm on System version 6.16.211.XT912. Android Version is 4.0.4. I wonder what the difference is? Prior to the update i was running a rooted GB 181. Wi-Fi tether worked great. Wi-Fi tether stopped working after the ICS install. In the log it shows that there is a failure in setting the ad-hoc mode. I ought to leave well enough alone but I really don't like running the hacked verizon hotspot. I don't trust verizon (but they don't trust me either:biggrin:) Am I missing something in the wi-fi tether set up

jl1967

Reaction score
After Ota to ICS, entitlement check number was remain at 150. Phone getting unstable, so I did factory reset. Rooting again and check the Sqlite and it move to 79. Change to value zero and works.again as before.

ForumRunner_20120704_093045.png

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Need help again... wifi tether not working after ics update... followed the steps for asqlitemanger as above and changed entitlement to 0 but still no workie. Here's screenshot of what I get when I try to run

Tried reboot still doesn't work! Arg! Any solutions?

Sent from my Fist, using your Face

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341436099870.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341436099870.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 290
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341436131950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341436131950.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 300
OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Whoops sorry for the double pic post

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score

That's interesting. My "Entitlement Check" is still 150. i changed the value from "1" to "0" and it works like a charm. I'm running a Razr Maxx on ICS that I manually updated using the 1.7 utility. I then rooted it the same way. "About Phone" says that I'm on System version 6.16.211.XT912. Android Version is 4.0.4. I wonder what the difference is? Prior to the update i was running a rooted GB 181. Wi-Fi tether worked great. Wi-Fi tether stopped working after the ICS install. In the log it shows that there is a failure in setting the ad-hoc mode. I ought to leave well enough alone but I really don't like running the hacked verizon hotspot. I don't trust verizon (but they don't trust me either:biggrin:) Am I missing something in the wi-fi tether set up

Looks like we are both experiencing the same problem. I got foxfi to work using Bluetooth mode last night, that's the only way I could get a tether for my laptop to work.

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Got it to work!

Go to wifi tether
Press menu
Click settings
Click change Device profile
It will be on auto, click generic ics

Badabing! Wifi tether with no errors!

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Disregard... I got it to show not show the errors message but when I connect my laptop it says limited connection and wifi tether doesn't register the computer trying to access.

Crap.

jl1967

Reaction score
SCREWd2V said:
Disregard... I got it to show not show the errors message but when I connect my laptop it says limited connection and wifi tether doesn't register the computer trying to access.

Crap.

After you change the value of entitlement to zero, you can use Mobile Hotspot. Once it is on, Click on the settings to reveal the password(you can change it) then type that into your laptop or other device. You can tether many devices as you wish.

ForumRunner_20120704_200224.png

OP
SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
After you change the value of entitlement to zero, you can use Mobile Hotspot. Once it is on, Click on the settings to reveal the password(you can change it) then type that into your laptop or other device. You can tether many devices as you wish.

View attachment 52303
OEM WIFI HOTSPOT HACK WORKS.

jsandy

Reaction score
I should have left well enough alone. To recap. Razr Maxx on Rooted 181. Using the 1.7 Utility I installed ICS instead of waiting for the OTA. Next, again using Utility1.7 I rooted the phone. re-downloaded Titanium Back up and restored my apps and data. As stated before wi-fi tether quit working. Used SQLite to edit "entitlement" from "1" to "0" (line 150) . The hot spot hack worked fine but I was getting notices "unfortunately" this or that has stopped working. (Usually Google Calendar sync). Based on the message from Jl1967 (a couple of posts up) I backed everything up with TB and did a factory data reset from my "settings" "privacy" page. Once I did the reset I Rooted the phone again using Utility 1.7. My lock screen disappeared, and my home key and search key stopped working. I downloaded from Playstore Motohome fix. That didn't work. Did the same procedures all over again. Same result (definition of insanity). Did another factory reset but this time from safestrap. Rooted the phone using U 1.7 Reinstalled all my apps and data using TB. And..lost my lock screen, and my home key and search buttons quit working. I've googled the issue and while I can see that the issue of the buttons isn't new I couldn't figure out how anyone fixed it (this is when I found the reference to Mtohome fix) Finally I did a Nandroid restore and everything works but I still get the ocassional "unfortunately.....stopped working" What am I doing wrong?

jl1967

Reaction score
jsandy said:
I should have left well enough alone. To recap. Razr Maxx on Rooted 181. Using the 1.7 Utility I installed ICS instead of waiting for the OTA. Next, again using Utility1.7 I rooted the phone. re-downloaded Titanium Back up and restored my apps and data. As stated before wi-fi tether quit working. Used SQLite to edit "entitlement" from "1" to "0" (line 150) . The hot spot hack worked fine but I was getting notices "unfortunately" this or that has stopped working. (Usually Google Calendar sync). Based on the message from Jl1967 (a couple of posts up) I backed everything up with TB and did a factory data reset from my "settings" "privacy" page. Once I did the reset I Rooted the phone again using Utility 1.7. My lock screen disappeared, and my home key and search key stopped working. I downloaded from Playstore Motohome fix. That didn't work. Did the same procedures all over again. Same result (definition of insanity). Did another factory reset but this time from safestrap. Rooted the phone using U 1.7 Reinstalled all my apps and data using TB. And..lost my lock screen, and my home key and search buttons quit working. I've googled the issue and while I can see that the issue of the buttons isn't new I couldn't figure out how anyone fixed it (this is when I found the reference to Mtohome fix) Finally I did a Nandroid restore and everything works but I still get the ocassional "unfortunately.....stopped working" What am I doing wrong?

If you can go back to gingerbread then I think you can ota to ICS. When I rooted, I didn't install bootstrap or safestrap because I didn't want to flash any custom rom this time. Even after OTa, factory reset, rooted but still many apps are getting "not respo ding" such as Youtube, Browser, life 360. I think this OTa ICS needs some patches in the near future.

jsandy

Reaction score
I didn't think that there was a way back to GB from ICS.

Phreaker47

Reaction score

After Ota to ICS, entitlement check number was remain at 150. Phone getting unstable, so I did factory reset. Rooting again and check the Sqlite and it move to 79. Change to value zero and works.again as before.

View attachment 52274

Ah, so it changes based on doing a factory reset. Yes, I had done a factory reset. I had to because I had originally tweaked too much with root access on my old GB install, so I couldn't get past error 7 trying to upgrade.

I'm glad I did do the FR though, because I'm not having any of the problems now that people are reporting.

So yes, factory reset then makes it line 79. Bottom line: Don't go by line number, make sure it's actually "Entitlement Check".

jsandy

Reaction score
I figured it out. After I did the factory resets I did a restore with Titanium Backup. Something in my old settings was apparently the problem. From another thread in the Maxx Razr section dealing with battery life after the ICS ota, I got the idea to redo all the steps but instead of doing a TB restore, I did a clean install of my apps. (PITA but gave me an opportunity to get rid of dead wood). Everything works as it should now and my entitlement line has moved from 150 to 79 like the others.