USB tether no go, Bluetooth tether works fine???

Dunb440

Reaction score
I'm on a 2.36 rooted Razr Maxx.
Bluetooth tether works fine after new Bluetooth drivers, etc.

I cannot for the life of me get usb tether working.
It comes up with a 192.168.16.XX address and 192.168.16.1 for the gateway.
Mobile hotspot is configured for 192.168.42.2, and even if molbile hotspot is off the usb gets the 192.168.16.XX address from ????.
I thought maybe dns was the problem so I put good static DNS in as well to no avail..
Yes, tethering is checked on settings as well as mobile hotspot..
My mobile hotspot is working fine through Bluetooth and wireless internet.

I needed the usb today for my pc that does not have a wireless ethernet card...

Anyone else having this issue or ideas?

Glenn

mcsoul

Reaction score
Did you put your phone into "USB debug" enable?

I think that is required for USB tether.

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
Tried both usb debugging on and off.

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
OK,
I installed EasyTether and it works.

My question is WHY does my rooted Razr Maxx need an app to work?

I ts not effective for me to install software on every computer I tether with.

It must be a setting or something no?

any ideas?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i dont have the razr . but drivers will have to be installed on every computer before usb tethering will work.. AFAIK.. but it should install them when you hook up the phone ....

i know i used to have to hook my phone up to a pc the first time without debuging mode enabled . then after it installed drivers then activate the debugging

GrmReaper

Reaction score
I use FoxFi on my razr and it works awesome

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
Its not the usb motorola drivers, easytether has you install speial easytether software, which I don't want to have to do on every computer.

tether should work without an app, I'm sure of it.

i dont have the razr . but drivers will have to be installed on every computer before usb tethering will work.. AFAIK.. but it should install them when you hook up the phone ....

i know i used to have to hook my phone up to a pc the first time without debuging mode enabled . then after it installed drivers then activate the debugging

Ohmster

Reaction score
Its not the usb motorola drivers, easytether has you install speial easytether software, which I don't want to have to do on every computer.

tether should work without an app, I'm sure of it.

It does work without installing an app on the PC, but as the other fellow told you, you must install Motorola drivers on the PC before you can do anything with it on any PC. Drivers, NOT software. The best tether app for your phone is Clockworkmod Tether. It does cost a tiny fee, maybe 3 or 4 bucks, one time fee for the phone app, and you can use it for almost two weeks before you have to make up your mind. It works on non-rooted or rooted phones, does not require root in any way. And you do not have to pay for tether to your phone company, it works regardless, even without hotspot or tether on your bill. It also will give you the drivers you need for any PC. Go get it!
http://www.clockworkmod.com/

~
Ohmster