USB Tethering

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
Not sure if i should put this here, sorry if i shouldnt

I am curious as to what it will take to tether with the droid x over usb or bluetooth, perferably usb cus my laptops bluetooth is sketchy. I know it has the mobile hotspot but i dont want to charge for it, but also don't really want to have to use a questionable app if i dont have to. And this is my first droid so if its a stupid question sorry.

thanks

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Take a look at this post. Based on what you're saying, you should probably get PDANet. It gives you a trial period and then there's a one-time fee of ~$20. They've been doing this for a while and have an app for several different phones (iPhone, Palm, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and Android), so they're pretty legit. Check them out if you want but if you're not looking to root your phone or install custom ROMs onto them and want USB tethering, this is hands-down THE way to go.

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
Yeah I used PDAnet before i rooted, and it worked just as good as wireless. Just with a cord.

macatk89

Reaction score
Verizon announced a 2GB cap on the wireless hotspot feature. If you use PDAnet, are you limited to 2GB of tethered data per month somehow? I don't know how all of that stuff works, so if it's a stupid question I apologize.

izomiac

Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Verizon can cap the mobile hotspot feature since they wrote the application for it. If another application, like PDANet, uses data, it should be indistinguishable from any other non-Verizon application, like the web browser.

OTOH, I haven't looked at the inner workings of any of those, so it's possible Verizon is keeping track via some clever method. For instance, if they did deep packet inspection they might cap data based on the browser user agent. But I think that's rather unlikely since it'd cost more to do deep packet inspection than to just ignore people "cheating" the system. They probably would start questioning you if you used 300 GB of data in a month though.

exdirrk

Reaction score
Let me clear this up for you guys, if you pay the $20 for the tethering it will be capped at 2gb with overages but if you pay the $20 fee for pda net one time it will be unlimited because it uses your unlimited plan that you pay $30/monthly. VZW cannot track this. This is why LTE will not be unlimited so enjoy it while you can

djspy

Reaction score
Hello, I finally decided to root my RAZR (Got instructions from droidrazrroot.com) and also followed instructions there to activate mobile hot spot feature with sqlite editor. My question is can i use the usb tether feature with no charge as well now? How do i set that up? Do i just connect it to my computer and thats it?

Redwear23

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my phone to my computer but when I go to select the USB Tethering it is greyed out and will not let me check the box. It says that USB not connected but the phone is charging through the USB connection. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance

cbreze

Reaction score
When the phone is connected pull down the curtain and see if its in mass storage mode under tethering. Might be in charge only.