What's the fastest speed way to tether?

linkedup8484

Reaction score
Hi I just got a Droid X and after contemplating for a few hours decided to root it. I am just curious what is the method of tethering that will you the highest data speeds on the devices you are connecting? I tried USB and bluetooth tethering first and it seemed like USB was faster, but then after rooting I tried wifi tethering and it seemed faster than both. This didn't really make sense to me since USB is like a direct cable and wifi is over the air, but I am just curious which method should get the highest data speeds? USB/Bluetooth/Wifi?

Sorry if it's been asked before I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

OP
L

linkedup8484

Reaction score
Yea I think thats the wifi one I'm using, but I'm wondering is Wifi tethering going to be faster than USB/bluetooth tethering in terms of download/upload speeds on the connected device (laptop)?

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
Yea I think thats the wifi one I'm using, but I'm wondering is Wifi tethering going to be faster than USB/bluetooth tethering in terms of download/upload speeds on the connected device (laptop)?

they will be almost the same. 3g is 3g but i cant really notice a difference.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
speed will vary mostly by your location. you can have 2.7mbps in one city and 450kbps in another. all depends how far is the closest cell tower to you.

OP
L

linkedup8484

Reaction score
Yea I know 3g speeds will differ, but say I am in an area where I will constantly get 2.5mbps download and 1 mpbs upload (I realize nothing will ever be this consistent I'm just talking hypothetically)...If I use wifi tether, usb tether, or bluetooth tether will they all download at 2.5mbps and upload at 1 mbps?

tmushy

Reaction score
I found Barnacle wifi tether to work better than the wireless tether program.
It was faster to me. I tested it thoroughly in a full reception area using both programs.

They are both free programs

kepley

Reaction score
I'm sure they're very close to the same, except the USB tether option will keep your phone charged! :wink:

Exiled

Reaction score
I second Barnacle. Use it all the time. I don't know if it is technically the fastest method, but I've found it works best for me.

WesleyJ

Reaction score
I just got the Droid X last week, and i have EasyTether Lite, it uses a USB cable but it works good... Id really like an app that i can use via Bluetooth, but that Barnacle one doesn't work for me.. it pops up with an error message after i try to run it..

OP
L

linkedup8484

Reaction score
I think you need to be rooted to use barnacle...PDANet lets you use bluetooth and it's free, that's why I used when testing bluetooth tether. A little confusing to set up though.

WesleyJ

Reaction score
So how does one get" rooted"? And is it gonna affect the way my phone operates?

WesleyJ

Reaction score
Well I hear PDaNet is great but i cant seem to make it work, have any of you had luck with it

OP
L

linkedup8484

Reaction score
Yea I use pdanet for usb/bluetooth tethering...usb is easy just follow the instructions on the pdanet website. Bluetooth instructions are there too but it is a little harder you basically need to make the connection via your computer (which must have bluetooth) and create it under dial up networking in the droid X's bluetooth services.

And rooting is something that gives you superuser access to your phone so you can change things you couldn't otherwise...Once you root you can install wifi tethering apps that are free such as barnacle and not pay verizon the $20 monthly ripoff charges. Just google "droid x one click root" and follow the instructions.

And no PDANet and its bluetooth/usb tethering don't require root. That is why I am wondering if Wifi tethering is faster than usb/bluetooth because it's the only thing Verizon charges for.