Bluetooth tether for internet after ICS upgrade

chuckr01

Reaction score
Before the upgrade today I was able to bluetooth tether my ASUS Slider and my Nexus 7 to my Droid 4 and click the Use for Internet Access to get connected for internet use on the tablet. After the upgrade neither one would connect. I read on several blogs that Verizon got their hands slapped for charging to tether so I went to the Tethering and Mobile Hotspot link in Settings. I clicked on the Mobile Hotspot and got a popup about contacting customer service. Then I tried the Bluetooth Tethering checkbox and got no popup and it stayed checked. I can now connect my tablets for internet access. It remains to be seen if my bill goes up this month, but there should have been a warning popup if that was the case. This feature worked fine without checking the Bluetooth Tethering box before the upgrade on this phone and my previous Droid 3. This feature doesn't seem to work on any of my friends phones that aren't Motorola. I don't need the hotspot if the bluetooth method keeps working although it does seem to consume the battery pretty rapidly, have a charge cord handy.

njjayt82

Reaction score
I have run into a similar problem with using a tethering app (i was tethering my laptop) when I opened it and ran it I saw the wifi indicator popped up (which it had never done before) so I shut off and exited the app.. I'm not trying to run the bill up so I put in a post as well hoping to get some answer if I do ill let you know and vice versa... Are you on an unlimited plan? vzw isn't allowed to charge for limited plans but want to charge $20-30 for the unlimited plans in addition to the data price to being with. lets hope one of us can fine out some info soon.

OP
chuckr01

chuckr01

Reaction score
I have run into a similar problem with using a tethering app (i was tethering my laptop) when I opened it and ran it I saw the wifi indicator popped up (which it had never done before) so I shut off and exited the app.. I'm not trying to run the bill up so I put in a post as well hoping to get some answer if I do ill let you know and vice versa... Are you on an unlimited plan? vzw isn't allowed to charge for limited plans but want to charge $20-30 for the unlimited plans in addition to the data price to being with. lets hope one of us can fine out some info soon.

Yes, I am grandfathered in for unlimited. I had this option before ICS, I guess because Motorola had the access open, I never had the Bluetooth check-box on my Droid 3 and never looked for it on the Droid 4 since it worked from day one. I have stayed away from the Tethering link since my first smart phone, knowing it would cost and always having a warning pop up to say I had to sign up for it. Never bothered with it again until yesterday when the bluetooth connection didn't work. I went to this link after reading about their issue with the FCC and checked the option just to see what happened. No warning or popup to contact customer service like I got with the Mobile Hotspot check box. If they want to charge for this they need to tell you up front. I seldom connect my tablets to the phone so I don't see why they would care or even notice.

outsid0r

Reaction score
Yes, I am grandfathered in for unlimited. I had this option before ICS, I guess because Motorola had the access open, I never had the Bluetooth check-box on my Droid 3 and never looked for it on the Droid 4 since it worked from day one. I have stayed away from the Tethering link since my first smart phone, knowing it would cost and always having a warning pop up to say I had to sign up for it. Never bothered with it again until yesterday when the bluetooth connection didn't work. I went to this link after reading about their issue with the FCC and checked the option just to see what happened. No warning or popup to contact customer service like I got with the Mobile Hotspot check box. If they want to charge for this they need to tell you up front. I seldom connect my tablets to the phone so I don't see why they would care or even notice.
fox-fi app works as hotspot or over bluetooth get it and be happy

kbeefy

Reaction score
I just got an N7 and really want this to work, the main reason I got it was for navi.

I have a rooted Droid 4 phone on Verizon, when I try to enable the bluetooth via FoxFi it says 'fail to open Bluetooth'. I click 'OK' to clear the dialog box and it appears that Foxfi is hanging at 'Starting Bluetooth'. I tap the box next to it and it says 'Bluetooth DUN on'.

I start PDA Net Tablet on the N7 (also rooted) and when prompted click 'DROID4' and it says 'fail to connect, make sure foxfi Bluetooth mode is enabeled on the phone side. Install foxfi if you haven't already.'

If I don't use Foxfi or PDAnet, I can get my phone and N7 to pair, but the N7 won't tether.

Wifi Tether works fine via FoxFi, but I'd rather use BT to save some power.

Any tips?

OP
chuckr01

chuckr01

Reaction score
I just got an N7 and really want this to work, the main reason I got it was for navi.

I have a rooted Droid 4 phone on Verizon, when I try to enable the bluetooth via FoxFi it says 'fail to open Bluetooth'. I click 'OK' to clear the dialog box and it appears that Foxfi is hanging at 'Starting Bluetooth'. I tap the box next to it and it says 'Bluetooth DUN on'.

I start PDA Net Tablet on the N7 (also rooted) and when prompted click 'DROID4' and it says 'fail to connect, make sure foxfi Bluetooth mode is enabeled on the phone side. Install foxfi if you haven't already.'

If I don't use Foxfi or PDAnet, I can get my phone and N7 to pair, but the N7 won't tether.

Wifi Tether works fine via FoxFi, but I'd rather use BT to save some power.

Any tips?

Neither my DROID 4 nor my N7 are rooted, so this may not help. On my DROID 4 I went settings and in the Tethering and Mobile Hotspot tab I checked Bluetooth tethering. I could then get the option after being Paired to click settings on the N7 Bluetooth connection and select use for Internet. It works like it did befoere ICS on the Droid 4.

kbeefy

Reaction score
I found that setting to enable internet via BT on the N7, it was already ticked. I'm stumped.

OP
chuckr01

chuckr01

Reaction score
I found that setting to enable internet via BT on the N7, it was already ticked. I'm stumped.

Check this option on your DROID 4, not the Nexus 7. It works for me, but like I said, I'm not rooted on either device.

OP
chuckr01

chuckr01

Reaction score
Yeah, I did that too.

On my DROID 4 I went to Settings and in the Tethering and Mobile Hotspot tab I checked Bluetooth tethering. This is not the checkbox under Bluetooth.I could then get the option after being Paired to click settings on the N7 Bluetooth connection and select use for Internet. It works like it did before ICS on the Droid 4.

kbeefy

Reaction score
I did that to. Gonna try doing some bluetooth transfers with different devices to determine where the real problem is.

OP
chuckr01

chuckr01

Reaction score
I did that to. Gonna try doing some bluetooth transfers with different devices to determine where the real problem is.

In the past I have issues where I couldn't connect. I shut off bluetooth on the phone and turned it back on and the tablet connected fine. Can't explain it but it worked.

davidb4775

Reaction score
Isn't tethering a wifi and not bluetooth function? If I turn on mobile hotspot on my D4, I can "see" the phone on my laptops wifi "available networks" list. If one can tether via bluetooth, its news to me. I havent been able to figure out how to bluetooth stream music from my D4 to laptop, like I could with my earlier Droid. I suspect its a driver issue with Win 7 /32.

kbeefy

Reaction score
look in settings>wireless networks>tethering & mobile hotspot>bluetooth tethering

There is both wireless and bluetooth tethering available, if you can make it work.

davidb4775

Reaction score
I stand corrected regarding bluetook tethering. Until I find drivers, mine wont work