DX drop test

joely91

Reaction score
The lady at the Verizon Store dropped mine brand new out of the box from counter top high to really thin carpet. No damage tho...i still think she should've been fired tho...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

barski

Reaction score
The lady at the Verizon Store dropped mine brand new out of the box from counter top high to really thin carpet. No damage tho...i still think she should've been fired tho...

I dont think i wouldve accepted it and told them to get me a different one

billhig1

Reaction score
My wife droped hers in bj's on the floor and nothing happened. She did have a thin rubber case on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

selex

Reaction score
I dropped my X with both the BodyGlove snap on hardcase and the newer Verizon silicon case. I feel better with the BodyGlove case but its harder to snap on and off when plugging into the cardock. The silicon one just pops off. Both worked fine and no damage. What I', more concerned about is cracking the screen if I bump up against something while its in my pocket. To counter that I make sure the screen is always facing in

Selex

fishstick600

Reaction score
The olly time your going to have a good chance of cracking it is if you drop it on one of the edges. I've dropped move with no case and its fine

chefb

Reaction score
had mine for the weeks and scratched it....had to buy screen protector.....

Ehanda

Reaction score
i took my hard plastic snap on case off to clean under it and i dropped in on the pavement. Chipped some of the plastic on the top left corner. SO pissed! Other than that, it works fine. No internal damage and the screen is durable as hell

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I dont think i wouldve accepted it and told them to get me a different one

Yah I wouldn't have excepted that phone either. I would have made them get me a new one.
I haven't dropped my X yet (knock on wood) but still have a silicone cover on it and insurance. I am very careful with my smart phones.
As for my droid I have dropped it several times from about 4 feet onto very thin carpet in the restaurant I work in. I have a Body Glove hard case on it. No damage but it still scared the he'll out of me.
On another note the silicon soft gel cases are better for protection of internal parts as they absorb more of the shock, where as hard cases transfer more shock in to the phone.

Psientist

Reaction score
I have my phone in a BodyGlove case with an anti-fingerprint screen on it.
I once dropped it from a very short distance onto carpet, didn't think it would be damaged, and it wasn't in the slightest.

I know some carry their X naked but I would at least put a crystal screen shield on it. Even with gorilla glass, scratches can happen. It's better for the scratch to be a 5-10 dollar issue then a permanent feature of your phone. Cheap insurance for a specific but cosmetically important issue, really.

The BogyGlove case is very protective, but I also just like the way it feels. It also keeps my phone from sliding when I throw it on my dash/speedometer area without a dock (Go go GPS).

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks, hope it was insured... In any case (no pun intended) I thought the Droid's have gorilla glass on them... they STILL shatter upon impact?!

Gorilla glass has absolutely nothing to do with shatter resistance. It is chemically hardened, to make it scratch RESISTANT. If anything, the hardening would make it MORE prone to shattering, since increased hardness oftentimes equals increased brittleness.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dave12308;970610 Gorilla glass has absolutely nothing to do with shatter resistance. It is chemically hardened said:
^^^^^ This is correct. ^^^^
Think of it like the side windows in your car they are very strong basketballs and even leaning on them wont break them, but when hit the right way they shatter into thousands of tiny pieces. This is so you don't get hurt by the glass. It is also a result of the specific hardening process used to make the glass.

sandiegosteve

Reaction score
Dropped mine on the third day; waist high to concrete. Major sinking feeling. Right on the top right corner. Still works fine, but there is a good scratch and dent there now.

Ecsa0014

Reaction score
I went to get out of my truck the other day and the X (bare phone, no case or screen protectors) slipped out of my hand and went skipping down the asphalt screen side down. I figured the screen would be all scratched up but the screen was fine, no scratches at all, only several dings and scratches on the casing around the screen. I have a case for my phone but I have to remove it to put the X in the car dock and often don't remember to put it back on. I really wish they made a car dock that would allow the user to leave the case on the phone.

chattymcmeatus

Reaction score
Dropped mine to concrete sidewalk pulling it out of a shorts pocket. Normally carry it in a case and holstered, but it was naked this day. Hit the concrete and the back cover came off and the battery popped out. No screen or camera damage, but it has a battle scar on the bottom left corner from the assault!

JWDX

Reaction score
Dropped my DX with a snap on case, it seemed to land on one corner judging from the scratches on the case edge, but there was no apparrent damage physically or electronically. I think it dropped from a little above waist high.