DVD's to Droid?

D

dvdcatalyst

I had not played it on the PC at first, so I now have played it on the PC with VLC and it's fine.

I deleted off of DroidX and recopied and now it's fine too.

Previously, it was the built in media player that played it out of sync.

Are you saying that the paid version removes the black bars ALL THE WAY AROUND the screen? If so, I didn't realize that was "bars".

thanks.

Glad to hear that it works properly for you now. The sync-issues people mention in regards of DVDCat are mostly the Windows Media Player-problem when previewing on the PC. On devices, or when you use other media players, sync-issues are quite rare.

As for black borders, yes.

If you look at the video on your computer, or preview the DVD, you will find that the movie itself has black padding (borders) added to it. Most newer movies don't have these, but older wide-screen ones had to have them in order to comply with the DVD standard.
When these are not removed (dvd catalyst free), these borders become part of the video, and video players will treat it as such.

image004.gif

With the borders being part of the movie height, the scaling the video player app does will scale the height to fit within the screen, and the width of the video will not reach the sides, so the player displays black borders there as well.

DVD Cat 4 removes the black padding from the video

image008.gif

which basically lets the video scale the full width of the screen (not restricted by the height anymore), but if the movie is not the same aspect ratio as the screen you use, the video player will add some black borders to it.
image006.gif

To make a movie completely fill the screen, the movie eather needs to be stretched (in this case the height) which will make the people look funny, or parts of the sides need to be cut-off to make it the same aspect ratio.

All this is doable with the paid version.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
am I missing something? Ive dropped movies on my SD card (drag and drop) and watched them with no issues.

D

dvdcatalyst

am I missing something? Ive dropped movies on my SD card (drag and drop) and watched them with no issues.
With DVDs the drag&drop doesn't work properly, unless you rip the DVD to your harddrive first, or use something like AnyDVD. Then you still end up with a movie being split in multiple 1GB chunks, and you need a player in order to be able to play vob-files, and of course you will need 4-8GB for a single movie this way.

While many people do, not everyone has movies and shows in the form of (avi, mkv, mp4) video files, and usually these files are not in the proper format for the Droids in order to play them, unless you have a video player (vPlayer/RockPlayer) that will play them.

While there are a few devices that ship with DIVX playback capability, most Android devices only like a few MPEG4-based video formats out of the box, so unless you use a different video player application, your files will need to be converted into a format that is supported on the device.

Lastly, if you have HDMI-out, such as the Droid X, multi-format video players will not be able to make use of it unless you use a program such as RealHDMI. If the files are in the "native" format the phone supports, the hardware of the phone will be used for playback, which does have the HDMI capability.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Just in case the folks have not noticed a trend, with DVD Catylist you get a fantastic software package, probably the best customer support I have ever seen (how about an email from the hospital) and a gent who is right here right now for our android platform. What I have been doing is ripping my dvd's for my phone, and at the same time ripping them in a lossless (within reason) backup format for storage. DVD catylist is so worth the price of admission, it is not even worth debating. At least if you place any value on your time.

Craig