DVD to Droid

r81366

Reaction score
Hi-

I am trying to view the "Planet Earth" dvd series on my Droid, but I am having lots of trouble getting them to fill the entire Droid screen. I ripped the dvd first using CloneDvd, then Handbrake to convert to the .vod files to mp4. After using the Motorola Media Link to import the mp4 to my Droid, the screen is still only about 50% what it should be- help! I have tried changing the settings per different folks' threads, but to no avail. I hope there is a fix, the picture at even 50% looks stunning. Please advise all Yodas present. Thanks.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I'm also pretty new to ripping and transcoding. I simply used Handbrake for the entire process and have been very happy with the results. Pop in your DVD, set Handbrake to use the iphone/ipod touch preset and you should be all set. I'm finding that preset works really well on the Droid. Hope that helps.

technologeek

Reaction score
I've found that using the iPhone/iPod Touch profile in Handbrake does the trick for me. I do not use Media Link though and I'm pretty sure it converts the video AGAIN before it puts it on your phone which may be causing the problem. I would:
1- convert in Handbrake using the iPhone/iPod Touch profile with no changes to the settings (change output file extension to .mp4 not .m4v)
2- mount your Droid to the PC via USB (Don't use Media Link) and drag and drop the final .mp4 to the folder that you are putting your movies in.

Also FYI Handbrake will convert most DVDs without going through something like CloneDVD first.

Edit: Musta been typing while Fraxinus was posting :) I'm a Mac so I didn't realize that Handbrake will not rip protected DVDs on a PC. I use MixZing lite to browse my videos.

Last edited:
OP
R

r81366

Reaction score
DVD to Droid: Drag and Drop Where?

Hey, thanks for the help! I don't want to sound like a dumbass, but if I drag and drop the file from where I had Handbreak save it, which folder should I use when I go to my Droid using "My Computer?" Thanks!!

Samstag

Reaction score
Anywhere on the sdcard is fine, but it's a good idea to create a video folder for them to keep things organized. They'll show up in the gallery app no matter where you put them.

D

dvdcatalyst

Full screen video on Droid

Hi-

I am trying to view the "Planet Earth" dvd series on my Droid, but I am having lots of trouble getting them to fill the entire Droid screen.

You have to crop the movie.

I wrote a few posts (including screenshots) on how to make videos full screen, here is one

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/5718-dvds-droid.html#post199321

(links directly to the post)

While not written specifically for handbrake, the screenshots should give you a clear indication of what needs to be done to make them full-screen. Another option is to use the Act1 video player (which you probably end up looking at anyway, because the Gallery app does not show filenames, just thumbnails) Act1 has a couple of "zoom" options that can help as well.

Last edited by a moderator: