DVD's to Droid?

BlueSami

Reaction score
So i am a little bummed about dvd catalyst. i riped a dvd today and setup the pixels for the recomended moto droid. but it doesn't use the WHOLE screen WTF? should i use and ipod setting?

Droidlicous

Reaction score
So i am a little bummed about dvd catalyst. i riped a dvd today and setup the pixels for the recomended moto droid. but it doesn't use the WHOLE screen WTF? should i use and ipod setting?

I've used all three Settings for the Droid and all three had fullscreen! So I don't know..

aprather24

Reaction score
Anyone else notice DVD catalyst doest fill the entire screen on the droid? Is that how its supposed to be?

D

dvdcatalyst

I have to agree with everyone that says Hands Down DVD Catalyst!! Just purchased it!! Where do I get the boosterpack?

www.tools4movies.com/dc3b.zip

Thank you :)

Please have a look at this thread for details on that

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

The first post contains trailers converted using the different black bar removal options.
If you visit the thread on your Droid, click on the mp4 links to stream the files directly, saves downloading and transferring them over.

D

dvdcatalyst

Anyone else notice DVD catalyst doest fill the entire screen on the droid? Is that how its supposed to be?

Please visit the trailer thread in my previous post.

In short, there are 3 different methods to remove black borders. The settings for this are located in the "Conversion tab" in Global Settings

More info can be found here:
Cropping / Black bar removal | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

* By default, dvdcat removes the black borders from files, and then fits the full video within the selected screensize, while maintaining the aspect ratio. This is named "Remove black bars from file"
*"Remove black bars from device" does the same as above, but cuts of parts of the video to make the movie fit full screen. This is similar to what was used in the past to make movies play on non-widescreen TV's
*Another option is to use Stretch, which removes black borders, and then stretches (aka Anamorphic) the video one way to make it full-screen. This doe3s affect the look of the video. it makes people look funny.

D

dvdcatalyst

Full Screen Video

image002.gif

The DVD standard specifies a fixed screen resolution for movies. This still comes from the time that wide-screen TVs were not common, so when widescreen movies became more popular, black padding was added to widescreen movies to make them still compliant with the DVD specifications. Most DVD players (devices as well as programs) are designed to ignore the black padding added to the video, but for video files this is not the case.
Example:
image004.gif

If we convert this movie without removing the black borders, the conversion, as well as the video player will treat the black borders as part of the actual video part, so when we play this on a device, the video will appear similar to this:
image006.gif

If we remove the black borders from the video (DVD Catalyst’s defaults) the video will look like this:
image008.gif

When we view this on the device, it will look like this:
image006.gif

No difference, right? It still shows black borders., even though the video itself does not have them. This is because the player adds them by itself when the video does not fill the screen.
So, how do you get rid of these borders completely?
Method 1: Crop/Cut. “Remove Black Bars from Device. This will remove the black borders as shown above AND remove parts of the sides to make it fit.
image010.gif

Full screen video, looks great. But what did we lose?
image012.gif
Original​
image014.gif
Cropped​
About half the movie is gone because we made it full-screen. Of course this differs per device, resolution and movie width, but still, it’s a considerable difference.
Second method, Stretch or as some people like to call it, Anamorphic.
This basically removes the black borders as in our first example, but then it stretches the video to make it full screen.
image016.gif
Original​
image018.gif
Stretched​
We still have the full movie, but everything looks a bit stretched.
So, the reason why DVD Catalyst uses “Remove black bars from file” as a default setting is because most video players have a Zoom function. With this, you actually have a choice during playback to select how you want the video to appear on screen. With the cropping/stretch methods, you make this choice during conversion, so there is no way to revert back to the original view of the video.
Just tap the zoom option in your player, and you can switch from
image0061.gif

To
image0101.gif

And back again while watching the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dvdcatalyst

ok thanx i get it now! Great program wasnt trying to complain about it!!:)

Oh, no worries.

I understand people want full-screen video. I did it for years, but just do it once with a Star Wars movie, and you will change really fast.

Star Wars movies are a bit wider than most movies, so by making them full screen you will not enjoy the movie at all.
Even with a screen such as the Droid, using a crop/cut method to make the movie full-screen, you will lose almost half of the movie width.
If you use the stretch method, r2d2 will be as tall as general grievous.

Of course you can play with the settings, (or just watch a few trailers using the different settings) to see if you notice the difference, but my personal preference (and because I'm the developer, I made it the default :icon_ devil:) is to keep the full movie width, and zoom in/out when needed.

D

dvdcatalyst

hmm well when i did it there were black bars on all 4 sides?

Because DVDs are at a lower resolution that the Droid resolution.
Gallery/Act1 and Video Player all zoom the video to fill at least one side by default.

DVD Catalyst does not UPSCALE by default. Upscaling is making the video bigger than the original video. For example, if your original video is 320×240, and you have a screensize selected of 640×480, the video will end up being 320×240. The reason for this is that UPSCALING REDUCES QUALITY. Its similar as making a picture bigger. All that it does is double each pixel in both width and height, so one pixel ends up being 4 pixels. For video conversion, this means that there are 4x as many pixels that need to have their information saved, so the quality (kbps) needs to be 4x as high, thus a file 4x bigger in size.

DVD to Verizon Droid | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

Edit: You can enable upscaling in Global Settings > Conversion, however, it will not improve the quality at all. The video looks better when the player does the upscaling.

athensparks

Reaction score
i downloaded the DVD catalyst 3 Trial and it is reading my dvd but keeps saying their is something wrong with the DVD, which i don't think is the case. Do i need a DVD writer on my computer to use this. i have a DVD ROM disk drive according to the side of the laptop. i have a Dell latitude d530??

i little help????

D

dvdcatalyst

i downloaded the DVD catalyst 3 Trial and it is reading my dvd but keeps saying their is something wrong with the DVD, which i don't think is the case. Do i need a DVD writer on my computer to use this. i have a DVD ROM disk drive according to the side of the laptop. i have a Dell latitude d530??

i little help????

Try a different DVD

Star Trek, Transformers 2 and a few others have a more severe DVD protection system than others. This protection system (Made by Sony, called ARCCOSS) usually creates fake tracks (up to 99) on the DVD, and in some cases scrambles the scene order to trick DVD conversion tools such as DVD Catalyst. These DVDs also have issues on some stand-alone DVD players as well.
Installing the (free) DVD Catalyst Boosterpack can make some of these DVDs work, but the best way is to install a trial version of AnyDVD or to rip the problematic DVD to your harddisk with dvdfab

Only a very small percentage of DVDs have these issues.

Creibold

Reaction score
In reference to Hand Brake ... perhaps it was taken for granted that everyone on this thread is using windows, but I'm on a mac. Hand brake does not require any other software to rip. For example, I just ripped Star Trek (use movie No.21 in the list, it's the current order) and had no problem. 720x368, 4000 kbps, with 160kbps AAC audio. Works great, and it's free. I'm sad to hear you windows people have to buy software like that and waste your money.

Last edited: