DVD's to Droid?

D

dvdcatalyst

In reference to Hand Brake ... perhaps it was taken for granted that everyone on this thread is using windows, but I'm on a mac. Hand brake does not require any other software to rip. For example, I just ripped Star Trek (use movie No.21 in the list, it's the current order) and had no problem. 720x368, 4000 kbps, with 160kbps AAC audio. Works great, and it's free. I'm sad to hear you windows people have to buy software like that and waste your money.

On the MAC, Handbrake makes use of VLC's DVD engine to decrypt the DVD. On Windows it does not have this capability, so additional software such as AnyDVD is needed to decrypt the DVD.

No more internal DVD decryption Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.
HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and if you're on Linux, and you want to live on the wild side, you can install libdvdcss on your system and get the same effect.
Translation of the last paragraph from nerdese:
We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone. If you're on Linux, all you have to do is install a library.

Creibold

Reaction score
Thank you for the correction DVD, that is rather depressing. I've forgotten how bad the developer community really is on windows after switching to the Mac... there must be some free alternative for windows?

By "bad" I mean disjointed. There are 5,000 alternatives to everything, and not one really being that much better than the other. There seems to be no real winner in this category for portable devices in general

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

Thank you for the correction DVD, that is rather depressing. I've forgotten how bad the developer community really is on windows after switching to the Mac... there must be some free alternative for windows?

Oh, it wasn't intended as a correction. I just tried to make it a little more clear, thats all.

There are free alternatives. My own DVD Catalyst Free now includes a Droid profile, but for Handbrake, you could use DVD43, which works similar as AnyDVD, but is not as good. But, its a $60 price difference. ANother option is to use DVDfab/DVDshrink to rip the DVD to your harddisk first and then convert it.

The thing I just dont get is why the handbrake guys made VLC's engine work for the MAC, but not for Windows. As mentioned on the website, it's just a library that needs loaded, and accessing the library internally does not differ that much, especially not because the same library is used by VLC on Windows.

Attackcenter

Reaction score

By "bad" I mean disjointed. There are 5,000 alternatives to everything, and not one really being that much better than the other. There seems to be no real winner in this category for portable devices in general

Believe me I've tried all the freebie programs, wasted major time :). Dvd Catalyst is by far superior. $10 is just a drop in the bucket for what you get. It has all of the advanced options all at your finger tips and batch conversion. I challenge you to find a more advanced and easier ui anywhere. That along with the Dvd Catalyst Dev's extremely helpful support and $10 is highway robbery on my part. I'm not even getting paid for this and I just paypal'd him another $10. The $10 for the software is nothing but a donation for a masterpiece of a software.

The DVd Catalyst Dev and the Xscope Browser Dev are the hardest working and the most helpfull in the industry. Absolutely worth every dollar.

AC

howzball

Reaction score
When I have used Handbrake I usually rip the DVD down first using MakeMKV which, for now, is a free app for Win, Mac and Linux and it works great.
I have heard there are some Blu_ray discs that require AnyDVD since MakeMKV might not always be able to get past encrypting methods.

Most of my editing is done for the WD Live device so, I just want as high of quality MKV files as I can get. I can then take the MKV files and edit for the Droid.
DVDCatalyst is a hell of a good app, just wished there were a Linux version since I don't do Windows.

Greg

Reaction score
Please help. It's not working.

I'm using DVD Catalyst 4. I've tried everything to get fullscreen. I'm trying to load up a bunch of Friends episodes for a trip Im going on. No luck . I've tried difference resolutions, I've fried checking the remove black bars, stretching etc... and nothing seems to make any difference at all. Can someone please tell me what settings worked for them? Please Please help!

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm using DVD Catalyst 4. I've tried everything to get fullscreen. I'm trying to load up a bunch of Friends episodes for a trip Im going on. No luck . I've tried difference resolutions, I've fried checking the remove black bars, stretching etc... and nothing seems to make any difference at all. Can someone please tell me what settings worked for them? Please Please help!

Hi Greg,

Basically all you need to do is the following:

*enable "Power User"
*In Global Settings > Borders, select "remove black bars from device"
*Select your Droid profile, and make sure the resolution is set to 854x480 (it defaults to 848x480 because many people believe that resolutions need to be in parts of 16 for better compression.

With those settings, everything will be made full-screen.

If that doesn't help, try clicking on the cat-eyes to make sure you are using the latest (4.0.2.3) version.

D

dvdcatalyst

Just to make sure, the resolution of a DVD is about the same size as the Droid's. If black borders are removed from the video, and parts of the video will be removed to make it full-screen, the resolution will be less.
DVD Catalyst doesn't "Upscale" the video to a higher resolution during conversion (waste of bits, and the video player scales the video by itself), so it will use the original size of the video, so you might end up with something like 720x380. This will be displayed during conversion.
With the settings I mentioned enabled, even if the video resolution will be less than the actual Droid resolution, it will still play full-screen on your Droid.

The full details on this can be found in the User Guide (page 72) which includes a LOT of screenshots.

Greg

Reaction score
Just to make sure, the resolution of a DVD is about the same size as the Droid's. If black borders are removed from the video, and parts of the video will be removed to make it full-screen, the resolution will be less.
DVD Catalyst doesn't "Upscale" the video to a higher resolution during conversion (waste of bits, and the video player scales the video by itself), so it will use the original size of the video, so you might end up with something like 720x380. This will be displayed during conversion.
With the settings I mentioned enabled, even if the video resolution will be less than the actual Droid resolution, it will still play full-screen on your Droid.

The full details on this can be found in the User Guide (page 72) which includes a LOT of screenshots.

Thanks for your time, but no luck. I followed your instructions word for word. I still get bars on the sides. NO full screen.

When I used Catalyst 3 in the past I had no probs with getting full screen but I had to use iPhone settings to get it to work (way before android). I went to use C #3 and MalwareBytes found it as Malware and wanted to delete it. I said to "keep it" but it deleted the important files anyway. So there went the $$$ for that. Ended up with no software at all.

So I'm using a friends #4. Still no luck. I've tried it the Droid and Droid(fast). Nothing seems to matter.

Any other suggestions? And yes, I'm I am using the current version.

Also... how can I get my copy of #3 that I paid for a couple years ago? Would all the updates just have taken me to a retail version of #4 anyway?

Greg

Reaction score

My mistake.... I was choosing remove black bars from file and NOT completely move black bars. It works!

Thanks for your help!

But would like to know if I'm able to get Cat #3 back, since I did pay for it.????

D

dvdcatalyst

My mistake.... I was choosing remove black bars from file and NOT completely move black bars. It works!

Thanks for your help!

But would like to know if I'm able to get Cat #3 back, since I did pay for it.????

I'm glad the black bar removal is working for you now.

As for your questions.

*DVD Cat 4 is a free upgrade for DVD Cat 3 users, and if you are using DVD Cat 3, you can just click on the cat-eyes to have it check for updates, and it will download the full installer for v4.

*I have had some issues with virus scanners in the past, but the biggest issue was with 3.7 or somewhere along those lines. At the time I was using a trial-wrapper application which would let me create a 7-day unrestricted trial, but the wrapper program was flagged by some programs as being bad. At this point, I changed the trial restriction to 25% to eliminate the need for the wrapper.
Every release of DVD Catalyst is scanned using VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner to make sure it is completely clean.

* You can still get DVD Catalyst 3 if you are using DVD Catalyst 4. Just click on the cat-eyes, and if you are using the latest version, it will offer to download DVD Catalyst 3 (3.86.2) for you. Both can be installed on the same computer at the same time, but of course you can not run them at the same time.

Lastly, if you have any questions just send me an email. I can always look up your order details (as long as you provide me the correct email addy you used for purchase) if for some reason you lost your original email, or if you need to reinstall DVD Catalyst.

PCRoger

Reaction score
I tried the free DVD Catalyst for Droid X.

Converts and plays, but 2 problems:
1) the movie only uses about 1/2 the screen (lots of black all the way around)
2) 2 minutes into the movie the sound is WAY out of sync with the video.

D

dvdcatalyst

I tried the free DVD Catalyst for Droid X.

Converts and plays, but 2 problems:
1) the movie only uses about 1/2 the screen (lots of black all the way around)
2) 2 minutes into the movie the sound is WAY out of sync with the video.

DVD Catalyst Free doesn't remove black bars if they are part of the video. Have a look at the link in my sig for details on that.
As for the sync issue, is this when you play the movie on your Droid X or when you preview the movie on your PC?

If you preview the movie on your PC, use Quicktime or VLC. Windows Media Player already has sync issues.

If you have the problem on your Droid X, use Gallery or the build-in video player for playback. Players like RockPlayer/vPlayer do not use the hardware properly for video playback, which can cause playback issues.

PCRoger

Reaction score
I had not played it on the PC at first, so I now have played it on the PC with VLC and it's fine.

I deleted off of DroidX and recopied and now it's fine too.

Previously, it was the built in media player that played it out of sync.

Are you saying that the paid version removes the black bars ALL THE WAY AROUND the screen? If so, I didn't realize that was "bars".

thanks.