Dropped my droid X in Liquid Butter at work today...help

Krayzie300

Reaction score
I was listening to Pandora Radio at work today as I always do, My phone was on a shelf on its dock, when i went to take it off the dock I fumbled it and it splashdowned into a container of liquid butter....I cleaned it off as best i could, inside the battery area and out...My touch screen still works and I can still surf the net and text and all that, but I cannot hear a caller and a caller cannot hear me. Also the screen is getting darker, but that seems to be possible going away, it for sure is moving around on the screen, obviously butter.

What can I do fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

OP
K

Krayzie300

Reaction score
Thanks for the link man, and thanks for the welcome, im almost ashamed to say it took something like this to happen to my phone before i found out about this community

that is a great article and something I may try, I noticed he said the rubbing alcohol works great for non-water situations

superkeest

Reaction score
sprinkle some salt on it, the salt should absorb the liquid butter, it should also make it pretty tasty.

decalex

Reaction score
I've also heard around that packing the phone in rice will also help to absorb extra moisture. Uncooked, of course :)
This thread is making me hungry!

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I've also heard around that packing the phone in rice will also help to absorb extra moisture.

Thats only if the liquid is able to evaporate. Once that butter gets to room temp., its going to take more than rice to get it out of the inside of the phone.

captain howdy

Reaction score
If every thing but the speaker/Mic works I would recommend you get a strong wet vac. And slowly warm you phone in the sun while sucking out the speaker area

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
K

Krayzie300

Reaction score
THanks you guys for all your responses....I havent done anything with it yet, as im afraid to damage it even worse....however tomorrow im gonna the risk, I have insurance on the thing so what do i i have to lose right lol

by the way tomorrow morning at my restaurant will be

Sauted Celly sammichs with a side of Mexican rice lol

OP
K

Krayzie300

Reaction score
If every thing but the speaker/Mic works I would recommend you get a strong wet vac. And slowly warm you phone in the sun while sucking out the speaker area

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Yeah it seems that, that is all thats wrong with it, i cant hear and a caller cant hear me either, the screen is darkened a lil, but it appears to be getting better by the hour...so I may try your idea first before dipping it in alcohol

Snow02

Reaction score
Pure grain alcohol. Also known as everclear. It's 90% ethanol and can be bought at the package store. What would be better is pure ethanol. If you know anyone that works at a lab they should have some around. You just want as little water content as possible. The alcohol is quick-drying and should do a fair job of rinsing out the butter. But you really need to disassemble the phone. There's no way you'll get all that out otherwise.

decalex

Reaction score
and if that doesn't work, drink the rest of it real fast and you'll forget about the broken phone :)

jodyberry

Reaction score
In my opinion, you win for the best thread title ever;

"Dropped my Droid X in Liquid Butter".

You just don't hear that every day!!