Latest software update made my X a P.O.S.

DoctorPDR

Reaction score
I'm pissed. I too got this new upgraded DROID Version and all I can say is...IT SUCKS! I'm so pissed. It has caused nothing but problems with my phone, including lagginess, freeze issues, intermittant and continued shut downs, and now my phone is no longer rooted as it once was.

I called Verizon to gripe about this update. First of all, this new upgraded version "automatically" downloaded to my phone. I have my phone set to manual updates, which means I have the final decision on whether or not I download an update. Not the case here...since Motorola made this decision for me. After my complaint with Verizon, they transferred me to Motorola (nothing like passing the buck) and told me that they do not do these updates and any updates comes from Motorola. So when I chatted with the person at Motorola, she told me that it doesn't matter that my settings were at "manual update" only and that this DROID version would automatically download. I replied "REALLllllllly? Is Motorola paying my cell phone bill? Did Motorola purchase my phone? What authorization did Motorola have in taking control of my phone?" As one would imagine, this upgrade CANNOT be removed so she transferred me back to Verizon (nothing like passing the buck and sending the customer in circles).

So, now that I'm on the phone with Verizon once again, I demanded a new phone with the old operating system. They are sending me one out which should arrive Monday (10-3-2011), but could not guarantee that the old version would be loaded on the phone. I told Verizon that this was unacceptable and that if I could not get my phone the way I had it before prior to this update, I would PROMPTLY switch to an iPhone. They told me they would accelerate the 2 year contract on the DROID X in order to make this happen, but I would have to pay the upgrade price. I stated I would pay NOTHING and that Verizon would issue me a refund for this DROID X (I purchased it in February of 2011) and apply those monies to the iPhone and if I owed anything more, I would happily pay those charges. I did NOT ask for these problems!!!

We'll see what happens on Monday, since I really don't want an iPhone. But all I can tell you is that I'm PISSED! My phone was set the way I liked it and working the way I liked it, and now it's all screwed up. I don't have time to be wasting for Verizon/Motorola screw ups...I mean Really?!!

Just as it says, I got the download this morning, did it as I got ready for work. As soon as I turned the phone on there were issues. The unlock screen was freezing, you could hear the audible buttons on the home screen being pressed. Programs freezing. Pandora froze on the loading screen several times throughout the day while music played. I have never in the almost year since owning this thing had the "force close" message so many times. I even had calls being dropped several times today it was like I hung the phone up. Funny enough one was a telemarketer. The whole thing is slow now and to top it all off it killed the battery today very quickly. What do I do?

My pc is down and has been for a while so software backup is next to impossible for me to do a factory reset.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DoctorPDR

Reaction score
Reallly? Did that and STILL having problems. Additionally, this really shouldn't have to be done. These updates alone are ENOUGH inconvenience!!!

The people that have the most trouble after an update are usually those who didn't do a factory reset either before or after.

Shawlatan

Reaction score
[h=2]Droid X software update 10-9-11[/h]
My droid woke me up due to its updating early this morning. It is pretty and all, but it runs sluggish as hell. Anyone having this problem? Anyone aware of upcoming fixes to the problem?​

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Droid X software update 10-9-11 My droid woke me up due to its updating early this morning. It is pretty and all, but it runs sluggish as hell. Anyone having this problem? Anyone aware of upcoming fixes to the problem?

Run an alternative launcher. My favorite is GO Launcher EX.

Scrutinize any apps you've installed including widgets and live wallpapers. Maybe list your apps here for people to take a look.

Using an automatic task killer is often a bad idea. Don't use one. But rules are made to be broken. Check out this comment: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/458810#458810 which solves some Droid X freezing issues but amounts to running a task killer set on "mild".

Clear your system cache partition. Maybe even clear it a few times in a row! (This is done by rebooting while pressing down the home key, accessing the hidden menu, etc.)

Finally, if nothing seems to be working then I'd do a factory reset. This will reset your phone completely so be sure to back up your files. After reset I would immediately install a different launcher and slowly add back apps looking for any problems. At some point I might decide to install the "Auto Memory Manager" app mentioned in the link above, especially if I don't have any odd apps, widgets, live wallpapers and the phone is still freezing up.

Hopefully Motorola will get their act together and put out a solid Gingerbread version for the X. There's always hope. Just got the Droid 3 update and the phone is doing amazingly well.

Last edited:

IamRalpho

Reaction score
Its okay for me so far, gonna take some time to get used to, but I lost my contact group.

When I click the contact button it says application not installed? But I have all my facebook and email contacts mixed into my phone contacts, which sucks.

Anyone find out how to get just your phone contacts?

ken.rector

Reaction score
My update hit me yesterday 10/02. "Battery issues"? I noticed right away that while it claimed it was charging, it will not now charge on anything but Motorola charger! No others actually charge even though the indicator claims it is. Also, I noticed when phone was powered off, it showed 60% charge, yet start it up and it shows 100% on the standby screen. Last problem is Online radio apps (TuneIn Pro & a stream player from a local station) are both crashing the phone after about 20 minutes. Uninstall/reinstall and battery reboot made no change. This one has greatly lowered my Droid love.

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Yes, only the Moto chargers will work and this is a new "feature" and is working as designed and approved by Verizon.

The weird battery stats can happen after an OS update. I would run down the phone until it shuts off and then charge it nonstop until 100%.

As for the crashing, check out this message for a solution: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/458810#458810
It involves installing a auto task killer set to "mild". I am normally 100% against these types of apps but this appears to be the workaround currently necessary on the Droid X.

You may also want to clear your system partition cache a few times for good measure. Hopefully a factory reset won't be necessary.

ken.rector

Reaction score
Yes, only the Moto chargers will work and this is a new "feature" and is working as designed and approved by Verizon.

The weird battery stats can happen after an OS update. I would run down the phone until it shuts off and then charge it nonstop until 100%.

As for the crashing, check out this message for a solution: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/458810#458810
It involves installing a auto task killer set to "mild". I am normally 100% against these types of apps but this appears to be the workaround currently necessary on the Droid X.

You may also want to clear your system partition cache a few times for good measure. Hopefully a factory reset won't be necessary.

Thank you NoBloatware.
Ahh< another group deciding to sabotage your owned merchandise. You spend all that money and you'd think they would have a modicum of respect for your posession. Grrrrrrrrrrr
That's just the kind of thing that will drive me away in a few months when this contract is up! I'll be ready to say adios to Verizon and Droid. No one learns from Microsoft's old days of trying to do the same kind of thing.
That's almost lawsuit time. How dare they dictate to me what I can attach to my hardware that I've purchased. They sure didn't stipulate that when I purchased it so it's pure sabotage. Might as well make it a proprietary plug,,, in fact that would be better, then you know up front before they can screw you.

ken.rector

Reaction score
Notice to all. New Droid update sabotages any other charger you have for you phone! "Approved" by Verizon! I'm going to the Verizon store right now and demand they replace all my chargers!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Notice to all. New Droid update sabotages any other charger you have for you phone! "Approved" by Verizon! I'm going to the Verizon store right now and demand they replace all my chargers!

To be fair, I'm not sure that this is the case with the Droid X. I was just quoting the wording used when the same issue was brought up for the Droid Bionic. I think it's safe to assume that this is their stance since the same parties are involved with that phone.

4. Issue: Non-branded Chargers:
  • The XT875 can only be charged with Motorola or Verizon Wireless branded chargers.
  • Action: No work around required.
  • Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.
Source: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/174501-alright-bionic-owners-fixes-may-way.html

Any fixes for quick battery death?

This thread has a lot of suggestions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/172871-another-battery-llife-issue.html