Dropped data connection?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far my Razr has been perfect and noticeably stronger in all areas of reception... 3g/4g handoff has been almost instantaneous, getting 4G in places (like the Best Buy in our mall) that the Bionic and Bolt wouldn't even consider getting 4G before... and I haven't fully dropped once (had it since 11:11 this morning, so about 12 hours). But hearing this is worrisome... hoping this isn't the rampant problem it is on the Bionic.

I'm putting the cart before the horse, but if this becomes a problem on the Razr as well, I'm about to call it quits on Verizon's "most reliable 4G network" because it's not true, at all. Fastest, yes. Most reliable 3G, yes. But every 4G phone has had issues causing them to NOT be reliable. [/rant]

ick66

Reaction score
I also have data connection problem.
I got razr yesterday. Surely I could see it has better reception than DX or Bionic in my home. But, Today (11/11), I can't even count how many times "loss of data connection" happened. It seems to me that this is nothing to do with signal reception strength. Even in 4 or 5 signal bar (4g LTE), suddenly data connection was lost. (indoor, outdoor same)
Of course within a minute, data connection was restored.
More details are like this; 1) Market search or internet surfing is suddenly not working --> 2) "loss of data connection" pop up --> 3) all signal bars disappear --> 4) after seconds, white signal bars (full strength) appear --> 5) blue 3g signal bars --> 6) blue 4g LTE signal --> 7) internet is working again.

It is really annoying. I am not sure it is only my razr problem or it would become common problem. I am going to replace it with another razr or with coming Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also have data connection problem.
I got razr yesterday. Surely I could see it has better reception than DX or Bionic in my home. But, Today (11/11), I can't even count how many times "loss of data connection" happened. It seems to me that this is nothing to do with signal reception strength. Even in 4 or 5 signal bar (4g LTE), suddenly data connection was lost. (indoor, outdoor same)
Of course within a minute, data connection was restored.
More details are like this; 1) Market search or internet surfing is suddenly not working --> 2) "loss of data connection" pop up --> 3) all signal bars disappear --> 4) after seconds, white signal bars (full strength) appear --> 5) blue 3g signal bars --> 6) blue 4g LTE signal --> 7) internet is working again.

It is really annoying. I am not sure it is only my razr problem or it would become common problem. I am going to replace it with another razr or with coming Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.

so it's happened a lot today for you, but you never lost it for more than the time it took to go from 1-7 in your example, like a minute maybe?

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I got mine yesterday, and I have experienced dropping data connection much more than I would prefer. I have only noticed it, though, when I am in areas where my data connection has always been weaker. In areas where it is strong, I haven't dropped the data connection at all. I am pretty frustrated by it, too, because that is why I didn't save a bit of money and go with the bionic. My OG Droid very, very rarely lost connection, but so far that is my biggest complaint about the Razr. If it didn't lose data connection, then I would be 100% happy with the phone.
I am having data connection loss as well. Strangely enough it was when I went to 3g. It's been off for the past hour. Not sure what to do. I've turned it off and on and tried the airplane mode on/off still nothing :( This kind of sucks.

This is what I've trying to keep an eye on. I am looking to upgrade to the RAZR, but can't justify the cost if the phone is doing the same thing as my T-Bolt. My phone acts pretty much the same way. I've jumped on Verizon about it & one CSR told me that I lived in a poor coverage area. Their coverage maps show good phone & 3G reception at my address, while I'm in the 4G "extended" coverage area. Basically, if I hold my mouth right, I can get 4G. Just a couple of days ago, my data connection went off completely. I told BOTH CSRs that I read that my area was scheduled to get an LTE footprint expansion later this week. Of course they threw that out as a possible reason for my outage.

The moral of my rant is, just like me, some of you may just be in a terrible reception spot to grab a solid data connection. I promise you guys, I've been there (still there?) & it's frustrating. Let VZW know about it. Hopefully sooner rather than later, they can get all of the data services as reliable as the phone call service.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what I've trying to keep an eye on. I am looking to upgrade to the RAZR, but can't justify the cost if the phone is doing the same thing as my T-Bolt.

I had the Bolt before, and the Bionic, and I can tell you that my experience so far with the Razr has been perfection on the data connection front, even stronger 4G signal in places I couldn't get before. I just really hope it stays that way as I had all kinds of issues with the Bionic - worse than the Bolt - and seeing a few reports of this has me a bit paranoid after the Bionic. But so far I've only seen a handful of reports... so... *fingers crossed*

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I had the Bolt before, and the Bionic, and I can tell you that my experience so far with the Razr has been perfection on the data connection front, even stronger 4G signal in places I couldn't get before. I just really hope it stays that way as I had all kinds of issues with the Bionic - worse than the Bolt - and seeing a few reports of this has me a bit paranoid after the Bionic. But so far I've only seen a handful of reports... so... *fingers crossed*

The Bionic was WORSE than the TB? Wow, I'm glad I didn't jump on that train. After all of the issues I've had with the TB, I decided to wait for others to get a new device first, then decide if I want one. So many dollars have already been saved that way. Of my 2 Android devices, I'm batting .500 as to the quality of operation. The tablet is great. My phone is still problematic. If VZW increases the LTE footprint around my area (they are supposed to this week, the 16th), then maybe most of my hassles will be gone & I won't be as antsy to replace it.

dsprik

Reaction score
Wondering if this problem is phone specific or 4G specific? I am curious about any problems rural vs urban. Last year we got 4g here in central FL. While I have a 3g phone and cabled wi-fi in our 5th wheel trailer, our 2 winter neighbors (we are snowbirds) both picked up 4g aircards for their laptops last winter. They immediately had problems on data drops. They had problems for several weeks with multiple trips back to the store with techs trying to fix the problem. This winter I have not heard of any problems from them (I talk to them daily), but should check... We are in a rural area 7 miles south of WDW in solid 4g coverage.

Also wondering on 5 bar drops vs 1-2 bar drops. Maybe 4g doesn't hold as well on lower signal strengths as 3g? Although, I believe a poster here mentioned a 5 bar drop? So not sure that has anything to do with it... Just rambling...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this problem is phone specific or 4G specific? I am curious about any problems rural vs urban. Last year we got 4g here in central FL. While I have a 3g phone and cabled wi-fi in our 5th wheel trailer, our 2 winter neighbors (we are snowbirds) both picked up 4g aircards for their laptops last winter. They immediately had problems on data drops. They had problems for several weeks with multiple trips back to the store with techs trying to fix the problem. This winter I have not heard of any problems from them (I talk to them daily), but should check... We are in a rural area 7 miles south of WDW in solid 4g coverage.

Also wondering on 5 bar drops vs 1-2 bar drops. Maybe 4g doesn't hold as well on lower signal strengths as 3g? Although, I believe a poster here mentioned a 5 bar drop? So not sure that has anything to do with it... Just rambling...

I definitely think a good part of the problem is the network. But can't really pinpoint one thing or another... it seems so inconsistent with regard to who/what/why/when/how/etc it happens.

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I'd probably say it's more to do with the network itself. Rural vs. urban comes into play with how the transmissions can travel. Too many trees (or too far from the coverage area) or too many buildings in the way. I suppose I fault VZW for pushing LTE out as the next big thing & I expect it to work just as well as their established 3G service. I should remember that there are still some growing pains with LTE right now. Good luck AT&T. :icon_ devil:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suppose I fault VZW for pushing LTE out as the next big thing & I expect it to work just as well as their established 3G service.

I think that's the bulk of the issue - it bothers me that they claim "most reliable 4G network"...

SANhacker

Reaction score
I've had my RAZR change from 4G to 3G and back but have never lost my data connection totally.
My OG droid would go from 3G to 1x and back as well but I never totally lost data.
Well, not unless I was way out in the sticks. :)

jeremym

Reaction score
I dont have a razr but i do have a bionic...i dont think its a rural/urban thing for 4g as i get data drops out the rear on my bionic and we only have 3g in my city.

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I dont have a razr but i do have a bionic...i dont think its a rural/urban thing for 4g as i get data drops out the rear on my bionic and we only have 3g in my city.

The CSR with VZW told me that most phones will look for 4G first, then look for 3G. Part of my issue is I live in a fringe area where I can hypothetically get LTE, but it's not strong & consistant. As I stated above, it's just how effectively the signal can reach your phone. If you have a number of things that absorb or deflect the signal, even normal 3G coverage becomes crappy.

Supposedly, Steve Jobs & Apple were waiting for suppliers to make one radio with built-in capabilities to use both 4G & 3G. I know the T-bolt uses separate radios, but I don't know about other LTE devices. Plus, manufacturers will build the integrated radio modules & Android device users will get that benefit from phone & tablet manufacturers.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
All LTE phones still have 2 radios still. Jobs might look like a genius for waiting now...

--
sent from my Razr