Dropped data connection?

Oaklands

Reaction score
I don't think the signal reaches quite as far as 3g. I would lean to it being a 4g technology issue.

xmguy

Reaction score
Ahh! Motorola strikes again! Us Bionic users have had this issue for months now. Strange with a new phone why Motorola can't get their act together and get a fix for BOTH phones out. Stop sticking us with half-baked phones that seem to not work right!

xmguy

Reaction score
I lost mine four times friday after activation at 11:30 am and then they replaced mine. But now my second one is doing it, twice today. My Fiance's one has done it 4 times as well. But we hadn't replaced hers because they claimed it was a tower issue. But now it is still doing it, and just got off the phone with vz tech support and they said still no issues reported. My Butt!

I have the Bionic. VZW tried to claim with me it was a SIM card issue. NOT. I've had issues with VZWs data network dropping connection in-use since 2007 and back. To the LG Voyager days. The VZW Techs tried to pin it on my phone or even lack of signal (I live less than 1/2 mile from a VZW tower) so no. This has been going on for a while. But even I agree this is the WORSE it's been (for me atleast) in a while. I've been though 4 Bionics in an attempt to correct the issue.

diablo81588

Reaction score
You guys need to stop comparing 3g to 4g phones. All LTE phones on verizons network have to connect using eHRPD in order to handle handoffs between the different network technologies. Just because a 3g phone can connect to 3g doesn't mean a 4g phone can if eHRPD is acting up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
I have the Bionic. VZW tried to claim with me it was a SIM card issue. NOT. I've had issues with VZWs data network dropping connection in-use since 2007 and back. To the LG Voyager days. The VZW Techs tried to pin it on my phone or even lack of signal (I live less than 1/2 mile from a VZW tower) so no. This has been going on for a while. But even I agree this is the WORSE it's been (for me atleast) in a while. I've been though 4 Bionics in an attempt to correct the issue.

I was curious I keep getting settled in to razrs. Should I stop trying lol? I cant keep wasting time sending apps and everything else that doesn't transfer over to the next. God its taxing on me.

rileyd5

Reaction score
Lost mine at least 10 times (total loss of data)in last 2days. Just switched from sprint and was really excited to get the RAZR. Called tech support and stopped by local verizon store several times. 3 sims and on my 2nd razr. Very dissapointed. Going to give it a few days or so and switching to att to get the sg2 skyrocket i think. Not what i wanted but not going to drop 600 on 2 phones & accessories for this. May look at Rezound as well but really wanted to try something different.

Last edited:

xmguy

Reaction score
I wanted to get a CLNR / FRU Razr once they had been out a bit from the Bionic. Thinking the issues with the Bionic SURELY wouldn't be on a newer phone. Yeah. I was wrong. It's like all Motorola did was make the Bionic smaller (thinner) give a small bump in speed / battery and call it done. Very little change in SW. I wonder how long it will be before VZW or Motorola puts a FW update out for the Bionic + Razr. I'd hold off on swapping. It's a bigger issue than the phone it's self. I say if 3+ phones ALL have the SAME issues it's NOT THE PHONE!

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
I wanted to get a CLNR / FRU Razr once they had been out a bit from the Bionic. Thinking the issues with the Bionic SURELY wouldn't be on a newer phone. Yeah. I was wrong. It's like all Motorola did was make the Bionic smaller (thinner) give a small bump in speed / battery and call it done. Very little change in SW. I wonder how long it will be before VZW or Motorola puts a FW update out for the Bionic + Razr. I'd hold off on swapping. It's a bigger issue than the phone it's self. I say if 3+ phones ALL have the SAME issues it's NOT THE PHONE!

Thanks there on that. I believe I will be calling moto today.

ick66

Reaction score
I also have data connection problem.
I got razr yesterday. Surely I could see it has better reception than DX or Bionic in my home. But, Today (11/11), I can't even count how many times "loss of data connection" happened. It seems to me that this is nothing to do with signal reception strength. Even in 4 or 5 signal bar (4g LTE), suddenly data connection was lost. (indoor, outdoor same)
Of course within a minute, data connection was restored.
More details are like this; 1) Market search or internet surfing is suddenly not working --> 2) "loss of data connection" pop up --> 3) all signal bars disappear --> 4) after seconds, white signal bars (full strength) appear --> 5) blue 3g signal bars --> 6) blue 4g LTE signal --> 7) internet is working again.

It is really annoying. I am not sure it is only my razr problem or it would become common problem. I am going to replace it with another razr or with coming Rezound or Galaxy Nexus.

OK, I replaced my razr with another one this Sunday.
So far, I didn't have such "loss of data connection" problem yet.
But It doesn't mean the problem is fixed now because I didn't use internet surfing a lot since I replaced it.
I will report new status couple days after.

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
OK, I replaced my razr with another one this Sunday.
So far, I didn't have such "loss of data connection" problem yet.
But It doesn't mean the problem is fixed now because I didn't use internet surfing a lot since I replaced it.
I will report new status couple days after.

Well ick let me know. I am on my second one and still experiencing it. My fiancé is still seeing it also.

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
So my problem with changing the settings from LTE/CMDA to CDMA only is a false problem. Turns out switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only causes the data connection to drop then take a long ass time to recover. I haven't timed it, but would say it's at least 3 minutes. Not a deal breaker for me, but it is really annoying. I hope this speeds up with a software update.

I also reloaded ADW launcher and haven't lost data randomly again. ADW got rid of a lot of the look of Blur. Loving using a stock ICS theme :biggrin:

lterry913

Reaction score
As far as I have read this is not solely a Motorola issue. It seems it would be a verizon issue if more than one brand of phone is having this problem. It is something verizon or android and not the actual phone if you ask me.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So for someone looking to get the Razr, can you not just run the CDMA only mode all the time? I was not planning on paying for the LTE and just using 3G, I am grandfathered in on unlimited data and didn't want to mess that up just for slightly faster browsing. This dropping data kinda scares me out of coming back to Android, been using the Bold Touch for a few months and was thinking of coming back.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So for someone looking to get the Razr, can you not just run the CDMA only mode all the time? I was not planning on paying for the LTE and just using 3G, I am grandfathered in on unlimited data and didn't want to mess that up just for slightly faster browsing. This dropping data kinda scares me out of coming back to Android, been using the Bold Touch for a few months and was thinking of coming back.

You won't pay any extra for 4G and you will be grandfathered in regardless.

And unfortunately the 4G isn't the problem - it's the eHRPD 3G "layer" on top of their normal evdo 3G that causes the problem. It's what they use to aid in the handoff between 3G/4G so it's not incredibly slow, but it's behind most of the issues with LTE connectivity.