Droid2 Antennagate?

Reaction score
I was looking online at Droid2 reviews and have found something that hasn't been reported on our forum (yet). I'm hoping its all hype, bad reporting, or at a minimum something that can be fixed with a software update but it appears as though our beloved Droid2 is having antenna issues of its own. It is unlikely it seems to be attenuation related, as no amount of "deathgripping" "deathtouching" seems to cause the problem. From the reports it seems as though the phone is having issues maintaining a steady signal just sitting on a table. It would be nice to hear from any of our community who have recently purchased a Droid2 to see how valid and widespread this problem is.

Sources:

Motorola Droid 2 Headed for 'Antennagate' of Its Own? - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Motorola Droid 2 Experiencing Signal Issues Phone Reviews

Antennagate could start up again...this time on the Motorola Droid 2 | ZDNet

Uh-oh: Early Droid 2 Units Having Signal Issues?

Hope the community can set some clarity on the subject.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I was looking online at Droid2 reviews and have found something that hasn't been reported on our forum (yet). I'm hoping its all hype, bad reporting, or at a minimum something that can be fixed with a software update but it appears as though our beloved Droid2 is having antenna issues of its own. It is unlikely it seems to be attenuation related, as no amount of "deathgripping" "deathtouching" seems to cause the problem. From the reports it seems as though the phone is having issues maintaining a steady signal just sitting on a table. It would be nice to hear from any of our community who have recently purchased a Droid2 to see how valid and widespread this problem is.

Sources:

Motorola Droid 2 Headed for 'Antennagate' of Its Own? - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Motorola Droid 2 Experiencing Signal Issues Phone Reviews

Antennagate could start up again...this time on the Motorola Droid 2 | ZDNet

Uh-oh: Early Droid 2 Units Having Signal Issues?

Hope the community can set some clarity on the subject.

Sat here looking at my wife's and her's was a constant 3 bars for at least 5 minutes. Might be an isolated issue with a certain batch maybe?
I'll definitely keep an eye on it now.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the X had similar issues and the .604 update fixed it for ppl having that problem. The X also had some activating issues that may have caused it.

Could be the same thing happening.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping its a software related issue that can be patched. Last thing I want to hear is there is a hardware issue like with the fruit fone.

iPirate

Reaction score
Anyone with a Droid 2 noticing problems? It didn't look like the Droid 2 had a disconnect button like the iphone

dwagner88

Reaction score
Engadget's review said that they had four different D2's with different editors in different parts of the country, and they ALL could replicate the problem. I played with one in the store and it varied between 2-4 bars, but it never disconnected. This would be pretty embarrassing for Moto after they ran those ads for the Droid X mocking the iPhone antenna problem.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good news, guys. I checked in with Steve Job's PR people, and they said, and I quote: "It's definitely not hardware-related. It turns out--and even we were totally shocked to discover--that the algorithm that the Droid2 uses for computing signal strength has a BUG in it! Just ignore the issue, and in a few days all the fuss will blow over. If not, just tell everyone you're releasing a software patch to fix it."

Go figure.

-Matt

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Engadget's review said that they had four different D2's with different editors in different parts of the country, and they ALL could replicate the problem. I played with one in the store and it varied between 2-4 bars, but it never disconnected. This would be pretty embarrassing for Moto after they ran those ads for the Droid X mocking the iPhone antenna problem.

It wouldnt be embarrassing since this same issue happened with the X, which again got fixed with an update, new baseband. Do yall hear about any X antennagate?

And I'm not talking about the pull-the-wool-over-the-eyes job Apple tried.

And for the record, the first X ad wasnt mocking the iPhone antenna, what happened there was ppl seeing what they wanted to see. Only after Apple did that antenna page did Moto actually come hard at the iPhone.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the X had similar issues and the .604 update fixed it for ppl having that problem. The X also had some activating issues that may have caused it.

I had that activation issue on the X! Dialing *228 and re-activating fixed it. Supposedly, we should be dialing *228 and choosing option 2 once/month?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea doing option 2 once a month is supposed to help with reception, roaming, something about the towers. I've been doing that since 2005.

I only remember to do it if I have reception issues tho...normally after a baseband update or change u should do it.

eliassami5

Reaction score
the D2 has almost the same hardware as the D1 and the antennae is in the exact same place..the D1 didn't have these issues. Im pretty certain its a software issue.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
definitely real for my business partner and i. both got droid 2's one of us ported from sprint and one from t-mobile the day after the droid 2 shipped. business launching in 2 weeks.

if this is not solved or acknowledged by verizon we will go to sprint instead of dealing with this. my partner had sprint and was very happy with their service with a palm pre but not so happy wiht the hardware. i loved the nexus one hardware but hated t-mobile. we went to verizon for the best of both worlds.

but we'd rather just get a samsung epic or evo4g rather than deal with crappy signal situations. we can always solve the battery issues of the evo or gps issues of the epic with chargers at our business and cars and home or one single garmin unit. bad verizon signal issues are not within our ability to fix. not worth our time to deal with that on verizon. with t-mobile i dropped calls. with verizon we randomly get no service or very ****ty service and have calls go right to voicemail on a fairly regular schedule. that is a lot of lost revenue.

to us that is the same **** different place.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-tech-issues/71096-signal-issues.html

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score
lol sorry to hear that..you are probably one unlucky guy. You must be living somewhere remote because most people here will tell you that they have had great service as well.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
lol sorry to hear that..you are probably one unlucky guy. You must be living somewhere remote because most people here will tell you that they have had great service as well.

i live within 2 miles of manhattan. my partner lives within 20 miles of manhattan. this happened during highway driving, where coverage is generally the best. in verizon's backyard - north jersey. the farthest thing from remote.