1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid X suffers from Death Grip too, says Apple

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 23, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

[​IMG]

Gee whiz, not this again! Apple has updated its Antennagate webpage to include, you guessed it, the Droid X. According to Apple, that within its super-secret dungeon of doom, zero gravity, and reception absorption, if you hold the Droid X in inappropriate ways, you will lose signal bars, as you have seen with the iPhone 4. Check out the video for yourself:

To me, it looks like that Apple tester is putting a great amount of pressure on the back of the Droid X during the presentation, so much that the phone starts to shake. Apple, you really are grasping at straws trying to prove your antenna issues are normal, when clearly your device has a hardware flaw. But anyway...

Back to the question at hand. Have any Droid X users noticed signal "attenuation" during normal usage? Then if you could, hold your phone that way, and let us know your results.

via Engadget
    source Apple
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. SayColin2

SayColin2 New Member

What are they grasping at really?

I had no issues at all. Not even a single bar. I guess some people may experience the loss of a bar or two, but i highly doubt its enough to drop a phonecall.
  3. mjforte

mjforte Member

I think it's funny how Apple is trying to point out all these other phones that have antenna problems. Sorry Apple, nice try.
  4. m698322h

m698322h New Member

I don't think it is as bad!

We just tested this theory! A friend of mine here has the Droid X and another has the new Iphone 4. The tower that is nearby is 1200 feet away and it contains both ATT and Verizon equipment. The Droid lost only 1 bar and the Iphone dropped all bars.

Also 99% of the people will not be gripping the Droid X that way, as there will be some space between the palm of your hand and the phone. NOT FLAT AGAINST IT.
  5. wsbsteven

wsbsteven New Member

I held my phone that same way (which is unnatural and uncomfortable) and I dropped zero bars. It's all part of their plan to spread lies to make themselves look better.
  6. xandor

xandor New Member

I think Steve Jobs is being whiny. Be a man and say "I'm sorry".

Leo Laporte was even mocking Steve when he was blaming the media for "blowing it out of proportion".
  7. RETG

RETG Member

Problem with the iphone is not a death grip, but just a hand grip. The hand (human body) interferes with antenna signal. Had someome proof this to me last week. And it gets worse if you hold it a certain way, and that way is probably the way 90 percent of the population will hold a cell phone.

If I completely cover the top of my BB Tour, the signal will drop (-70 to around -85), but I have never held my BB that way when using it, even when browsing the net.

Jobs has a problem and he is not man enough to admit it so he is doing what any kid or politician would do, push the publicity onto someone else.
  8. dakoop

dakoop New Member

Oh boy, here we go
  9. bmxriderjack

bmxriderjack New Member

Watch the video closely guys. He appears to be going up an outdoor glass elavator, at the bottom service is kinda sketchy because of the security devices in the building. Once he gets toward the top of the elevator his service gets better because he has a clearer connection to the tower.

Thanks for reading this is conspiracy theory, see ya next time.
    Hahaha just kiddin. Sounds like a conspiracy theory though.
    But anyways. I think that's what's going on though.
  10. psyonix

psyonix New Member

The difference here is, there's not a ton of Droid X users posting up YouTube clips docummenting antenna failures. Nice try, Apple. LOL.
  11. removed

removed New Member

Ok I just did that to my Incredible.

Yes it drops the signal from 2-3 bars to zero

BUT and a big "but" - the call never drops! I've never ever had a dropped call in my apartment where the signal isn't that great.

I'm uploading a video to youtube right now, will update with the link.
  12. removed

removed New Member

Admins, take a look at the forum rights, I can't edit my own post.
    Also I just noticed there's no "3G", the phone never been activated!

Here's the video I was talking about, watch in HD.

13. Droid101

Droid101 Member

14. easyrun99

easyrun99 New Member

I attempted to replicate this and had no success. No change in my bars with the Apple "death-grip"...
  15. easyrun99

easyrun99 New Member

I was able to get it to go from -80 dBm to -87 dBm by literally covering the entire bottom of the phone with both hands...I suppose in a very low signal environment that would be enough to drop a call, but I literally could not have made a call holding the phone in that position anyway.
  16. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

my question is why do you think Apple disabled comments ???? I wonder .... LOL. Apple is such a joke & so is steve jobs .......

He is trying to cover up the design flaw
  17. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

It seams like it would be easy to recreate this with a signal generator at the cell phones frequency. You just have to make sure you are in an area with no real cell signal, set the sig gen on the cell frequency and amplify, if needed, to an antenna. Then adjust the output level until you see the X's signal rise and lower to make it disappear.

Sent from your Droid
  18. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

The sad part about all this is that it will assuage the iPhone users fears and they won't feel like anything is wrong with their device because this is normal.

Sent from my Droid
  19. 713King

713King New Member

It looks like his fingers go slightly redish because of the pressure he uses on the phone.
  20. deftdrummer

deftdrummer New Member

I'm so sick and tired of Apple's spin tactics. Steve Jobs is not fooling anyone anymore. When this all is said and done Apple will look like one shoddy company that did nothing to alleviate its customers' fears. How despicable. Look at it this way: at least all this negative publicity added emphasis to Moto and Verizon's response to Droid X issues. Not that they wouldn't anyways but its just one more chance for two companies to prove their value to customers. It couldn't be playing out any nicer for Verizon and co.