Droid X2: Summary of Problems

devedsmith

Reaction score
Here is just a quick rundown of the problems I'm having on the "X2" that I did NOT have on my Droid X:

• Can't edit contacts: when tapping a contact, I get the home screen
  • General Slowness/Responsiveness
  • Loses wifi connection constantly, have to turn it off and then back on (in many different wifi locations)
  • Browser crashes in a wide variety of situations
  • Phone app crashes or does not respond to taps (very embarrassing)
  • No camera button (WTF?)
  • Difficult to use shutter icon because that's where you tap to open options - this was my iphone deal-breaker - just plain stupid
  • Some videos don't save or get corrupted
  • Photo gallery crashes and is slow (shows facebook photos from friends?!?! WTF?)
  • Screen animations repeat for single actions and often kill the app
  • Back button leaves screen white when leaving youtube
  • Hardware buttons are hard to press - VERY.
  • Battery life is half that of the DROID X (on Liberty)
  • When on wifi web sites will stop responding, switching to 3G fixes it
  • Hyperlink taps will occasionally be ignored - they highlight but the browser does not respond
  • Flash occasionally does not run when tapped (see above)
  • Phone restarts randomly - sometimes in the middle of an app or call
  • Noticeable click (clunk?) sound when starting camera app
  • Browser crashes when closing windows - every time
  • Occasionally does not wake-up/unlock forcing me to pull the battery
  • Keyboard stops responding - mostly no spacebar or backspace

Anyone else experiencing an unusual amount of problems with the "X2" that they did not have on any other Droid? Perhaps this is just the abomination that is Froyo?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad phone. I have an X2 and I am not having near the issues you are having. Have you tried a factory reset?

Have you rooted the phone? I would and then find and run the v6 supercharger script. It will help with the sluggishness of the phone.(Though for me the phone has never had too many issues with sluggishness.)

After you are rooted you can freeze some apps and replace others. Motoblur gallery sucks. Quickpic is better. Dolphin HD is a better browser.

barski

Reaction score
You should SBF your Droid X2. Mine was a pile of junk when i first got it to. After SBFing it last night I was amazed at how this phone performed. I then went ahead and removed the bloat. Now i'm kinda sad I don't have it to play with for another 2 weeks.

OP
D

devedsmith

Reaction score
What is SBF? On my Droid X I had Liberty and it was the fastest phone I have ever seen. I loved it. But that's what I get for jumping into the pool with it with a CRAPY insurance company (Asurion).

Reaction score
I think SBF stands for system base file. It is a flash of the system out of the box. If you got your phone as a CLNR then my sympathies. Certified and like new are wildly varied concepts.

OP
D

devedsmith

Reaction score
Agreed. This is Froyo 2.2.2 with some major differences from the version I started with in 2010. The Gallery for example is linked to facebook so of course it's so slow I cant really use it. Every time I open the Gallery it updates with my friend's photos and videos. And I can't change it. There are no "default view" settings. And there are limited ROM's out there now. I think I am going to try MinimalistX.

tlgem

Reaction score
Editing the contacts problem may be from deleting or freezing yahoo contacts & yahoo validation (may not be exact names) happened to me & all I had to do was un-freeze them
So some of the other issues may have to do with what bloat you deleted or froze
I dont have near the issues your having
Thats my 2 cents :)

xmguy

Reaction score
Mine has the camera clunk / click issue when starting or even using the led as a flashlight. Also my speaker on the back when used causes some major rattling and sound vibrations in the case of the phone. These are all new droid x2s from Asurian. As an insurance replacement for my water tripped X. I've had 2 to date . All with the same issue. If the next one is like this i'm demanding a x again. X2 is a pos!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
D

devedsmith

Reaction score
Yahoo authentication has a couple of known bugs. Especially battery drain. My battery usage was around 70% Yahoo, then display, etc. I had to root then remove it to get my battery to last more than a couple hours.

xmguy

Reaction score
Just got my THIRD >>NEW<< Droid X2. It has the SAME problems. Camera clicking and bad speaker. This phone as a whole is bad not just what I'm getting. Motorola tried to cheap out on speaker isolation that was used on the X and used cheaper materials on the X2. Then tried to offset customers with a qHD display.

Last edited:

OnoSendi

Reaction score
You guys should not be having anywhere near this amount of trouble with your x2. I'm running 2.2.2 with NO problems at all. As far as the gallery goes - yes, it is horrible. Download Quickpic from the market, and use that as your gallery. It is better in every way possible.

xmguy

Reaction score
You guys should not be having anywhere near this amount of trouble with your x2. I'm running 2.2.2 with NO problems at all. As far as the gallery goes - yes, it is horrible. Download Quickpic from the market, and use that as your gallery. It is better in every way possible.

I don't get how 3 NEW DX2's can have the EXACT SAME ISSUES!

Chubbydog

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip. Quickpic is so much better than the gallery on this phone.