Droid X2 closing apps while using them, backlights on physical buttons

rebel7254

Reaction score
I became a first time smartphone owner with a Droid X2 this week.

I'm having one issue, and the other is more of a question.

I noticed that when I'm browsing my files through the Files app, and I try to browse the folder where I transferred all the pictures from my old phone, after about 5 secs or less it closes the file browser and kicks me to the homescreen. This happens every single time I try to view the contents of this folder direclty via the Files app.

After using the Google search widget more heavily, I started getting the same thing sometimes, but it isn't guaranteed to close every single time like the Files app. I'll just be typing a search term in, and it kicks me to the home screen. However, in the case of the Google Search app I noticed that for just a split second an error message flashes before I get kicked to the home screen. I can't read it all, but I think I can make out something about "mobile display stopped working".

I haven't done anythng crazy since I got the phone. I 've downloaded and used a few other apps, but I've already tried making sure none of them are running in the background, and it doesn't stop this problem. I haven't messed around with the OS or anything...it's just running Android 2.2.2 that came pre-installed.

Any ideas?

The other question I have is about the backlighted physical buttons on the phone. While I'm using the phone, I noticed the four buttons at the bottom will light up and go off seemingly in a random fashion. I don't guess it's hurting anything, but I just wondered why that's happening...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the buttons are light sensitive.

This is the X forum, but from what I have read, the X2 memory is not enough, so it closes apps to try and make room. There are fixes for this but they involve rooting and hacks.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
R

rebel7254

Reaction score
Supposedly the buttons are light sensitive.

Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense.

I didn't see the X2 forum before, but I see it now. Sorry about that.

Admin/mod, would you care to move this thread to the X2 forum please?

the X2 memory is not enough, so it closes apps to try and make room. There are fixes for this but they involve rooting and hacks.

I just can't imagine why it would do that, when I'm running absolutely nothing but one or two applications. I've also been playing that silly Angry Birds game, which I have to think would take up much more RAM than the Google Search app, and it's never closed the game by itself.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a ton of Bloatware running in the background also. Gingerbread and the dual core processor eat ram like crazy.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
R

rebel7254

Reaction score
But if RAM was the problem wouldn't I be having this issue with all my apps, and not just a couple? As for the bloatware, are you referring to stuff that does not show up in the Task Manager?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
R

rebel7254

Reaction score
I just tried doing a factory reset. The Google Search app hasn't shut off on me yet, bit now my Home button isn't working like it was before. It used to close whatever I was doing and take me to the home screen, but now it does nothing. I can't find a setting to change it. Am I missing it somewhere?

OP
R

rebel7254

Reaction score
After rebooting, the home button is working again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums