Boot Hang X2

USNSCPO

Reaction score
Hi all. Old fart lurker here, my first post. Need a bit of help, please.

I managed to root my x2 on 2.3.3. Been using TI backup to freeze apps and trim down the bloat. After a couple of weeks without problems, using File Explorer, I started adding ".bak" to some of the bloat apks (in the system/apps folder) because a couple of them like DLNA were still running. I renamed "Home" something. As soon as I did, it immediately put the service/app into force close loop. Couldn't find a way to undo the rename or stop the loop, so I pulled the battery for a reboot. Now the phone will boot to the droid eye, and hang there. Its not a freeze because the eye is still animating. In hindsight I shoulda trusted my instincts... that something with "Home" in the title would be important, but I thought I saw it posted on a list of safe apks to freeze/delete.

Is there any way I can undo the rename? Or, just reinstall this apk from a backup? I'm positive if I could just remove the ".bak" from this apk, the phone would be fine.

I have a full TI backup on the sd card and in my dropbox as well. I have the X2 SBF on my computer, or at least it was posted and linked as the X2 SBF. Also have RSD Lite and the Moto drivers.
Thanks much!

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
Pull your battery. Plug your phone into a wall charger. Hopefully, if you left the recovery in "recovery" state, you'll boot into our custom recovery. At this point you have a few options. Do you happen to have p3droid's preroot on your SD card? Or any ROM? Nandroid backup? If you have the GB.zip on your SD card, just reinstall it and you'll be good. If not, restore your backup that you hopefully have.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
You deleted one of the critical files for the OS. You are not going to fix this short of SBF or nandroid backup. At least not any way I know of.

OP
U

USNSCPO

Reaction score
I think I made a nandroid backup. Can I SBF just the file I want, or do I have to do the entire package?

Reaction score
SBF is an image of the system. A System Base File. You can't just flash a single file. Doesn't work that. If you nandroid and can get back into recovery then that is the best way out. SBF will flash to phone back to OOBE(Out of Box Experience)

OP
U

USNSCPO

Reaction score
Thanks all. Pretty much what I suspected, but was hopeful for a method to just repair the dorked file.

Found a 2.3.3 SBF and flashed with RSD Lite. 3 hours later and one re-root later, I'm back. Thanks much!