Droid X vs. Incredible vs. Droid 2 vs. Samsung

ffej89

Reaction score
If i had to weigh in on these two phones i would pick the inc. But thats only because i love Htc Sense UI. On the other hand the massive screen on the droid x is very nice and once you have the phone for a bit you wont even see it as a large phone. As for as function you cant go wrong with two choices like this.

cpjr

Reaction score
Options options options! I'm desperate to upgrade to a smart phone from my retarded-cousin of a phone the LG Versa. I almost ordered the HTC Incredible, but the call quality/battery issues (and lack of supply) stopped me. I'm intrigued by the X, but I've always been a fan of a smaller more portable phone.

After dealing with the Versa for 15 months, I vowed never to go exclusively touchscreen, so I really like the Droid 2, but I'm very impatient, especially with the other phones already out. If the Droid 2 were to launch around Aug 23rd, I could probably wait. I still would like to play with the X before I rule it out. If you guys were stuck with a "dumb" phone and had all of the options currently available (and soon to be available), what would you choose? Here are the most important criteria to me: portability/durability, speed, battery life, call quality, available apps, multi media (I work at a desk all day and would love to have something to supplement my ipod).

If it weren't for the battery/call quality issues, I'd probably grab the INC now. I'm hesitant with all of the potential phones on the horizon. What should I do?!

Keep in mind one thing - none of the other Droid phones can be rooted, although I guess it *is* possible to root the Inc, by a rather convoluted process that I haven't tried yet on my phone. If rooting, and the accompanying freedom to install the various Roms isn't important to you, then I'd go with the Droid X - big screen, fast and powerful. For me, not being able to root, and have all the cool Roms & themes, is the bottom line, the deal breaker. If you're that way (*wanting* the ability to root and use developer's Roms & themes) then buy an original Motorola Droid. It's still the best, in my opinion.

-Mike

Im using the Incredible, well until the X arrives Monday :icon_eek: and yeah I rooted it the hard way.

But, my point of this post....there is a 1-click method out to root the Inc now.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

But, see my earlier post (#12), this program only works AFTER you go through the lengthy process that I referred to as "convoluted" because it *is* to me. The unrevoked program must be preceded by the other program. One roots the phone, the other lets you flash a different recovery program.

Thanks anyway though! I still have my MotoDroid to use until things get easier on the Inc front. :)

-Mike

cpjr

Reaction score
But, see my earlier post (#12), this program only works AFTER you go through the lengthy process that I referred to as "convoluted" because it *is* to me. The unrevoked program must be preceded by the other program. One roots the phone, the other lets you flash a different recovery program.

Thanks anyway though! I still have my MotoDroid to use until things get easier on the Inc front. :)

-Mike

Version 3 and above gives you root without doing anything else, read the changelog and questions/answers section in that link. If im wrong, sorry. I did it the hard way, so Ive had no need to try this method, but its supposed to be the quick and easy root according to threads on incredibleforum.com

Last edited:
OP
D

DNoMac

Reaction score
If i had to weigh in on these two phones i would pick the inc. But thats only because i love Htc Sense UI. On the other hand the massive screen on the droid x is very nice and once you have the phone for a bit you wont even see it as a large phone. As for as function you cant go wrong with two choices like this.

I think you're right. I went in to Verizon today to play with the DX, and it didn't seem as large in my hand, especially after playing with it for a while. Interestingly enough, after playing with it for 15 minutes, the INC suddenly seemed small/cheap (lighter and plastic) when I started toying with it. I really didn't think I would like the size, but I am now seriously considering going with the DX. I may wait a week or so to see if their are some any issues. I'm hoping by then, Verizon will finally get their inventory management issues in check and have some in-store.

OP
D

DNoMac

Reaction score
I don't understand how they fail to manage their inventory for something as simple as a cell phone. It makes me wonder if they either launch too early, or are trying to make the phone seem more exclusive by never having it in stock. Or maybe they are trying to reduce overhead by making everything online. Who knows..

greg30127

Reaction score
I got a Droid 2 last weekend, but there are a few concerns, just FYI to those thinking of the updated model:

On the "design booboo" front, Verizon (in my area) is pushing the two piece case that has a kick-stand on the back of it with this phone. Well, if you use any case on the Droid 2, I've discovered the top slider piece will actually semi-obstruct the top row of keys on the physical keyboard when it's slid open. It's right there along the top row - makes it much harder to easily type on that row of keys as you have to bend your fingertips in a bit to type. Not comfortable. It's not a problem with no case on it, but there really should have been about 1/8 of an inch or so more space when the slider portion opened so it doesn't interfere with the keys when you use a case. There's no wrist strap hole in the body either, so you can't use a wrist strap or the top case piece. Disappointing. I had a mild stroke when I was younger due to a car accident, and I'm not always the best at NOT dropping my phones, so I do like to have a good gripping case and/or a wrist strap on them.

Now, my particular unit MIGHT be a random dud, but my Droid 2 is also rebooting randomly, the keyboard backlight isn't working all the time when it should in darker rooms, and if I get a text when in standby mode, the screen will then go solid black or show a half-screen when in landscape mode.

Here's a pic (sorry - blurry) of what has happened three times so far:
motodefect.jpg

Now, I'm taking my Droid 2 back tomorrow. None of the Verizon stores in my area of metro Atlanta have Incredibles or "X"s in stock, and they all say they have no idea when there will be store stock again - one rep said it will be "at least" 3 weeks before they get more Droid X models in the store, or longer. So I might swap my Droid 2 in for another one to see if mine was just a dud. Or not. I haven't decided. I just wanted to let folks have the heads-up on things to know or check for if they decide on it. I mean, battery life is ok, and even though it does have that weird reported "up and down bars" thing, you really don't lose calls, so if you get one without bugs, it's a good phone other than the case/design issue.

If I decide to try a second unit I'll try to remember to come back in here and report if the above mentioned bugs are present in it, too.

Last edited: