1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid X IS running MotoBlur

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by anuraj1, Jun 26, 2010.

1. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

I've seen some debate about whether or not the Droid X has Motoblur or Ninjablur or whatever.

Android Central reported that it does not have Motoblur, but simply a custom skin for the Droid X...

Tomatoes, To-mah-toes. Just because they aren't calling it MotoBlur, doesn't mean that Blur isn't lurking in the Droid X. Here is a screen shot of the system dump with plenty of Blur apps. Just FYI so that we have some concrete evidence of what the X has in store for us.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. modified

modified New Member

Personally, I do not mind it.
  3. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

I personally have no experience with MotoBlur other than playing with it at cell phone stores. I mostly put this up to to help keep people informed since there seem to be so many rumors about it flying around.

It is a fact that Sense and Blur delay timely updates since the vendor has to do a lot of extra coding. That said, we didn't exactly get 2.1 in a timely manner even with stock Android on the Droid.
  4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Fixed the title for ya! :)
  5. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

Obviously, from the files it does have some connection with Blur. I think your post might confuse people that are looking for info, Tanknspank.

Here's a quote from unwiredview.com about the Droid X Launch event:

"Another interesting takeway from Droid X launch, was the total absence of Motorola Blur custom user interface from the event. When asked about it, Sanjay Jha, Motorola CEO, confirmed that MotoBlur is running on Droid X, but it has been hidden from the user."

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/...w-it-is-dead-beginning-of-the-for-custom-uis/
  6. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

This also belongs in the droid X general discussion not the Droid discussion. We should try to keep the threads as organized as possible so people can find it where its relevant.
  7. Tanknspank

Yes, it does have apps from motoblur, but it isn't the motoblur we all remember. Still, motoblur isn't the worst thing since the iPhone 4, so why does it matter if its on there or not? If your worried about upgrade time, buy a stock phone or root it when that access is gained.
  8. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

Agreed, sorry about the misplacement. If this thread can be moved by a mod, it would be appreciated.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

And so it has been moved. Did it before I even saw the request.:)
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Also from the article:

I take that as they can be updated seperately from each other. That would be totally differet from the old Blur.

Now maybe u need to root or use ADB to remove the Blur apps. I dont know. But thats not the same as the old Blur.
  11. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

And on with the topic lol

Im actually lookin forward to seeing how much the "skin"/"ui" is going to affect usability.
    Im so excited for the X (even if i do have to pay full retail price *cries*)
  12. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

He already explained he has little experience with blur, he was just sharing there are a lot of pieces of blur in the system, even if it's not the traditional blur we are used to seeing.

I think it is good to be informed, that way people CAN buy what they want, not what they THINK they are getting.

Yes, when root is obtained many people can get those items off their phone, but there are many consumers who aren't going to root, so blur parts can be a concern.

Rooting isn't the end all solution to every "problem" and I think it's wrong to constantly use that answer as the fix.

This is good info, thanks OP.
  13. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

Hopefully you're right. The big problem with the old Blur and Sense UI is that the framework has to be completely rewritten. If they didn't touch the framework.res then this phone just got a lot more attractive than it already was.
  14. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

motoblur being an app now sounds like any other home replacement. It doesnt affect the natural Android OS, and does follow more strongly by the term "skin". I really like what im hearing so far. ^_^ cant wait to get my hands on this in 2 1/2 weeks....
  15. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

Thank you nerbox08, you're totally right, my only intention was to give people information. And even though I am rooted, I agree that it isn't the answer for everyone. Timely official updates are important.
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea, even if u cant root to be rid of Blur apps, running another launcher, email, phone, calendar alarmclock apk shouldnt be a problem, like most of us do now on stock Android. Most of us dont remove the apps, we just install another app.

I never used Blur before, but I assume this wasnt the case with Blur in the past?
  17. Tanknspank

I wasn't saying root was the solution to everything. If upgrade wait was a worry for you, then a phone with a custom skin isn't for you. If you do get it, the only way to get a upgrade in any resonable amount of time is through rooting.
  18. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see a system dump of an older phone running Blur.
  19. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

I am downloading the backflip system dump right now to check it out. here's a link if you wanted to take a look:

[DUMP] Motorola Backflip Blur_Version.0.1.1199.MB300.ATT.en.US - AndroidSPIN Forums

EDIT:
    And here is a screenshot of the app folder in the Backflip system dump, also containing several Blur apps similar to the Droid X's. As far as additional coding details, I have no idea.
  20. Aridon

Aridon New Member

Just having a single apk instead of an entirely different framework is huge. Something every vendor should be forced to do btu google and makes the hacking community's lives much easier.
Search tags for this page
blur res
blur. res

blur.res

blur.res android
blur.res apk droid x2
blur.res application
blur.res location
disable motoblur
disable motoblur razr hd
does the droid x have motoblur
droid x blur res