Droid X IS running MotoBlur

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, even if u cant root to be rid of Blur apps, running another launcher, email, phone, calendar alarmclock apk shouldnt be a problem, like most of us do now on stock Android. Most of us dont remove the apps, we just install another app.

I never used Blur before, but I assume this wasnt the case with Blur in the past?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wasn't saying root was the solution to everything. If upgrade wait was a worry for you, then a phone with a custom skin isn't for you. If you do get it, the only way to get a upgrade in any resonable amount of time is through rooting.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Last edited:

Aridon

Reaction score
Just having a single apk instead of an entirely different framework is huge. Something every vendor should be forced to do btu google and makes the hacking community's lives much easier.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looking at the framework folders for both phones, the X has 5 separate Blur jar files: friendfeed, home, messaging, services, utilities and one that say blur-res....in the Backfilp one its just one Blur jar file, blur-res.

Trust me have no idea what I'm looking at or if this is even important. LOL

hoax

Reaction score
I'm a n00b so sorry for the dumb question. If blur is on the phone but is hidden out of site, what's the big deal? I understand that people hated the old blur but if on the Droid X it's behind the scenes, so what?

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
I'm a n00b so sorry for the dumb question. If blur is on the phone but is hidden out of site, what's the big deal? I understand that people hated the old blur but if on the Droid X it's behind the scenes, so what?

Custom skins and overlays like Blur and Sense by HTC change the coding in Android a lot. So after Google releases a new version of Android, the company that created the custom skin has to then code the skin changes all over again for the new version. And they take a really long time to do that, so people with custom skins have to wait much longer for new versions of Android.

hoax

Reaction score

Custom skins and overlays like Blur and Sense by HTC change the coding in Android a lot. So after Google releases a new version of Android, the company that created the custom skin has to then code the skin changes all over again for the new version. And they take a really long time to do that, so people with custom skins have to wait much longer for new versions of Android.

Cool, thanks.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it was the old MotoBlur then I wouldn't consider this phone. But from all the videos I've seen they improved it a lot, I don't mind it...I think the Blur tag should be removed. It's completely different.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
The Droid X does not have Motoblur

Watch the video in the link.

The Droid X does not have Motoblur | Android Central

That article is cited in the OP.

The point of the OP is that even though Android Central says there is no MotoBlur, there are many files in the Droid X system dump that are labeled Blur. So it looks like there is plenty of some sort of Blur going on, they just aren't calling it that anymore.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
"This is not the Blur you're looking for...."

The system folders in both phones where the framework files are look different. In the X system folder there is a blur.res apk file file and framework.res apk file. In the backflip there is no blur-res apk file. Only a blur-res jar file. There is no blur-res jar file in the X folder. So something is definitely different between the old Blur and the new Blur.

What lil I know about system files, it looks like what the Motorola CEO said, Blur is an app now. In the Backflip system folder it was just one file labeled blur. In the X system folder it was 6.

If I'm reading it right, the CEO basically said in the article that the OS and the Blur apps can be updated separate from each other. "Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades." I'm sure if it was all Blur, he woulda just said OS updates.

Last edited:
OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score

The system folders in both phones where the framework files are look different. In the X system folder there is a blur.res apk file file and framework.res apk file. In the backflip there is no blur-res apk file. Only a blur-res jar file. There is no blur-res jar file in the X folder. So something is definitely different between the old Blur and the new Blur.

What lil I know about system files, it looks like what the Motorola CEO said, Blur is an app now. In the Backflip system folder it was just one file labeled blur. In the X system folder it was 6.

If I'm reading it right, the CEO basically said in the article that the OS and the Blur apps can be updated separate from each other. "Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades." I'm sure if it was all Blur, he woulda just said OS updates.

That would be excellent. I might make the leap from the Droid to the Droid X, but the blur situation has me a little worried. Hopefully some other readers get some info out of this thread.